Author Topic: ct engine (help wanted) ...  (Read 596 times)

b2therizzo

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
ct engine (help wanted) ...
« on: August 27, 2007, 01:46:18 am »
i just want to see if anyone on this board is an elite c++ guy with familiarity in making games ... i'm learning c++ syntax (already have a decent grasp on oop via other languages such as actionscript and php).  i'd like to maybe make a clone of ct's engine but update the graphics code to use alpha-blended png's, hidef viewport, tilemaps with a built-in fringe system, and some other improvements ... yeah i know that's not technically a clone, so sue me :)
anyways, i'd like a mentor or at least someone else who knows abit more than i do who may want to work on this with me.  or some someones ... the more the merrier.
i have some ideas that i think are good and especially would like someone who can say from a true programmer's pov that my ideas are good or that they stink and why they stink.  i tend to oversimplify things sometimes.

Ramsus

Re: ct engine (help wanted) ...
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2007, 10:51:16 am »
Just like I'll have to go back to college someday to find people to do a tech startup with, you have to go to where the talent is.

http://www.gamedev.net/

I'm an elite C and Python guy who messes around with Lisp and OCaml, with very little of what I do being related to games. Then there was some KDE developer who came around (obviously a C++ guy), but he probably doesn't do games either, and he had plenty of projects of his own.

Then there's Geiger, who does a lot of emulation-related stuff, and he might know a thing or two to help you, but he's  too busy to actually work on anything with you.

Finally, there's a lot of ROM-hackers around here, but most of them aren't really programmers.

So our talent pool around these parts is pretty small.

However, if you're feeling uncertain, the best way to move forward isn't to seek the approval of some master coder. If you have quick and easy access to some related code, look over it to see how others handled it. If not, just write some demo code, test and debug it to make sure it works as expected, then profile it to make sure it performs well enough. If you still have doubts, try an alternate approach and compare the two. Do this with enough parts, and you'll mostly have what you need without anyone's help.

Just try it. You might surprise yourself.

Ramsus

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2007, 10:53:10 am »
Basically, there is no right way as long as it works.

(Well, there is, but you can worry about that after you've studied computer science and gotten some experience...)
« Last Edit: August 27, 2007, 10:55:46 am by Ramsus »

LegacyCrono

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2007, 03:30:22 pm »
I would suggest you to use C# + XNA. It's far easier than C++, and you can deploy your games to XBox 360.
I can help you if you change to C#, I've got some experience with it (but I'm not a expert).

Good luck! Keep us updated of any news about your engine! :)
SEE YA!!!!!

b2therizzo

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2007, 03:14:40 pm »
yeah, i asked on gamedev already ... people on gamedev's help wanted just like to flame people.  i thought i'd ask somewhere people are all about chrono trigger 24/7.  i may consider gamedev to just ask general questions during development as opposed to using the help wanted forum

Ramsus

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2007, 08:50:22 pm »
The community size here is just too small to include a large number of developers, and most people who would want to use a Chrono Trigger-style engine seem content to just use Temporal Flux to edit the ROM, which kills the demand.

Have you considered taking an existing RPG engine and building a Chrono Trigger-style battle system on top of it? For example, Sphere is a 2D engine that uses Javascript, which you should be familiar with in the form of ActionScript.

Anyway, good luck. If you need help, you're welcome to try asking questions here too, though you're probably better off just using these forums to find testers.

jono

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2007, 03:36:30 am »
First post, I've been lurking here for a while and decided to sign up this year.

I'm studying computer science and uni, and i've had a fair bit of experience with c/c++, particularly on the psp. To tell the truth I think it's a good idea to start with something simpler than this, it'll be a very complex project. I have written 2d rpg engine for psp and while it works the code became unmaintainable because I just jumped in the deep end.

If you do decide to take it on, I'm more than willing to give you a hand, just make sure you plan out the basic structure of it before you begin, otherwise you may struggle.

If your interested I could send you some basic plans of how I would design it.

Anyway good luck :).

Jono

PS. Your ideas don't stink, there great, it's more that they just might be a little harder to implement than you realise. I'd suggest that if you don't know about pointers, arrays and dynamic memory allocation your probably not ready to start a project like this. If however you are confident it's worth a go, it could be a good learning experience.

EDIT: Fixed a couple of typos :)
« Last Edit: August 29, 2007, 07:10:01 am by jono »