Poll

Rate Karsh on a scale of A (best) to D (worst)

A
7 (58.3%)
B
2 (16.7%)
C
2 (16.7%)
D
1 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: August 22, 2007, 12:44:29 am

Author Topic: CLOSED - Rate Cross Characters 12: Karsh  (Read 1808 times)

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
CLOSED - Rate Cross Characters 12: Karsh
« on: August 20, 2007, 12:39:03 am »
Evaluate Karsh based on his character design, combat usefulness, and Tilt factor -- which can mean anything, from how much he strikes you as cool to how important he is to the plot.

http://www.chronocompendium.com/Term/Karsh.html

« Last Edit: August 21, 2007, 10:04:31 pm by ZeaLitY »

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
Re: Rate Cross Characters 12: Karsh
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2007, 12:44:06 am »
Design: Karsh has definite flair. He's got cool purple hair, vibrant Acacia Deva clothes, some black armor courtesy of Zappa, and stylish gloves. He also looks perpetually angry, but this is in sync with his characterization. I wanted to see more of "young Karsh", though, whose dialogue portrait was pretty cool:

Combat: Karsh isn't a lightweight. On top of his strength, he gets a double-tech with ZOAH.

Tilt: I ended up liking Karsh despite his villainous introduction. This guy is almost -- almost -- in the springtime of youth, but he's got some problems to work out first. For the most part, he does, as he gets some wonderful character development with a few flashbacks and the confrontation with Dario and Riddel. He's central to the plot as far as it concerns the Acacia Dragoons and El Nido. And we all know how important the Dragoons are! Furthering his growth is a scene with Home World's Zappa, in which he doesn't have the heart to tell Zappa that he's not his real son.

Now, with Grobyc I voted B, since he lacked development. But Karsh is here, baby, and he's fully-colored and characterized. I'm going to award him the A, though others may disagree with me.

Karsh:
   The time has finally
   come...
   OHHH YEAHHH!
   Let's get it on!!!

Kyronea

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2007, 12:44:57 am »
Character Design: A warrior who grew up with Glenn, Riddel, and Dario...with purple hair. And an axe. He's a bit rough and feels somewhat Seifer like at times when he uses Solt and Peppor as his goons.

Combat Usefulness: As one of the best green elements, Karsh is quite useful if you're following the path that results in no Glenn. Quite the powerful warrior, he often earns a place in my party.

Tilt: He's an odd one, that's for sure. It's hard to pin him down on what he will do in any one instance, but I like him. Still, he's not someone who should have become a PC. Important NPC perhaps, but not PC.

Final Grade: B.

nightmare975

• Architect of Kajar
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2007, 01:00:54 am »
Design: Karsh, well, he did contain a much better flair than the other Devas. His character wasn't very original, but compared to the others, he was more developed.

Combat: From the first time you fight him, you know this guy is a powerhouse. And he has a double tech for god sake!

Tilt: He kicks Poshel off a cliff, classic!

Final Grade: B

Sora

• Chronopolitan (+300)
  • The Terror Of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2007, 12:39:19 pm »
design: reminds me of a crapy sabin.

story: sure he has develupment, but he seems useless to me. would CC really be that hurt without him? or if he just died after you fight him the last time?

gameplay: good.

tilt: gleen is better.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2007, 01:42:52 pm »
So you voted D!?

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2007, 03:42:52 pm »
Design: He's cool looking for who he is.

Combat: He was damn handy in combat. I used him a lot. Also, double tech.

Tilt: And he actually got some development!

A

rushingwind

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2007, 05:06:36 am »
Design: I love everything about how he looks, from his clothes to his portrait, and even his hair!  He always has this fierce scowl on his face, but his dialouge can be enthusiastic and energetic too.

Combat: He wields an axe.  How cool is that?!  :)  He can kick unholy arse with his weapon, not to mention the fact that he's also a good green element.  He is quite a useful character in battle.  If I don't have Glenn in my party, I usually have Karsh (and sometimes I use both).

Tilt: He has quite a lot of backstory compared to other characters in the game.  I loved the story with Dario and Riddel, and the entire bit about his younger days with the other dragoons.

Karsh wins my vote as a wonderful character with a great backstory.

Final Grade: A

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2007, 05:42:49 pm »
Design: Looks cool enough. Stands out pretty well in game, which I guess is a plus. Anyway, nothing wrong with his design, it's cool.

Combat: Everytime I've used him, his axe is pretty devastating. Oh, and a Double Tech counts for quite a lot, considering the total number available.

Tilt: Nice backstory. I don't even mind that he suddenly switches sides and joins you, the backstory is enough to give him a worthy party slot.

Final Grade: A

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2007, 09:05:18 pm »
Character Design - He's, um, a warrior...from a buncha islands, I guess...So I guess that goes into the explaination of his costume...He's got a sorta Zealian-vibe going on with his hair...Otherwise, though, I'm not a big fan of it. He just seems plain, like he just came outta the warrior mold or something...

Combat Usefulness - He uses an Axe, one of the few who does, and he manages to swing the bastard around pretty quick-like too. In the flashbacks, it looks more like a hatchet or something, so I guess he had to work his way up to full-blown axe. In his first tech, he charges the foe on top of a dragon (and he doesn't even need to fill the field up to summon it! >_>), his second he turns his axe into some kinda magical boomerang, and in his third he just sorta turns around in a buncha circles and then slams his axe into the enemy...nothing altogether special except for it's name, which I believe must be pronounced AX-iomatic, just for that keen emphasis that this is indeed a stupid sort of pun...

Tilt Factor - He starts out as a pseudo-enemy, sent after Serge at Lynx's suggestion. Later on, we learn that he (and pretty much everyone else) had a thing for Riddel (said thing probably in his puffy, wide-legged pants). He was also consumed by the Masamune and was led to believe he killed Dario because of his own inner feelings of jealousy or whatever, but he never came clean about it...Until confronted by Solt & Peppor, who for whatever reason look up to him...Basically, he's a putz. But it's a pretty cool moment in that one flashback where it goes all black & white and he throws down that bellflower. Easily one of the best bits of character development in the game.

Final Grade - C