Author Topic: The $%*! frustration thread  (Read 484130 times)

rushingwind

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
Re: The $%*! frustration thread
« Reply #6105 on: August 26, 2011, 12:48:48 am »
Hurricane Irene cometh!

I'm far enough inland that I don't need to evacuate, but there's going to be majorly severe weather here (unless Irene takes a nice, easterly swing back out to the ocean). The last time a hurricane made landfall in that particular area, we had major problems here!

Angerona

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Guardian (+100)
  • Where are my keys???!!!
    • View Profile
    • Deviantart
« Reply #6106 on: August 26, 2011, 08:37:05 pm »

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #6108 on: August 28, 2011, 01:15:32 pm »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientism

These sad, sad Luddites and critics. Science does not make a rainbow less magical; quite the opposite. It's as if these people would prefer we go back to quasi-religious speculation.

tushantin

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • Under Your Moonlight, Stealing Your Stars
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #6109 on: August 30, 2011, 04:50:12 pm »
Goddammit, I mused about the effects of language to the psyche and how perception alters differing between languages, especially on the effects of Sanskrit, Hindi dialects, Urdu and its influence, European sovereignty, mingling of subcultures, errors in pronunciation and duplicating definitions, shortcomings of the English language, etc. this was a discussion that would have been so goddamned interesting for everyone and I... FORGOT!! *bangs his head on desk*

T_____________________T

Also, if hear someone say "Judo is gay" one more time I SWEAR I'll perform Tsuri Goshi on them!

Sajainta

• Survivor of the Darkness
  • Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • Reporting live from Purgatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6110 on: August 30, 2011, 04:57:22 pm »
Myriad of health problems.  Perpetual insomnia, constant anxiety attacks, and the lovely I-can't-breathe-and-I-feel-like-I'm-going-to-have-another-heart-attack episodes.  And I can't afford to go to a local clinic, let alone a hospital.  Whoopee.

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #6111 on: August 30, 2011, 05:15:06 pm »
Myriad of health problems.  Perpetual insomnia, constant anxiety attacks, and the lovely I-can't-breathe-and-I-feel-like-I'm-going-to-have-another-heart-attack episodes.  And I can't afford to go to a local clinic, let alone a hospital.  Whoopee.
Ah, crap! At first I misread your statements until attacks (I always do that; dyslexia, I know) and thought you were talking about love, but I realized what you mean. Holy shit!

Saj, stay with us!  :o What about D? Aren't there any community/government hospitals in your area? Any relatives that could help out?

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6112 on: August 30, 2011, 05:51:16 pm »

Have you looked into returning to a country like Scotland that has better healthcare for the poor? Have you looked into your Medicaid and Social Security eligibility? You probably have, but in the off chance otherwise I figured I would bring it up.

Syna

• View Profile
« Reply #6113 on: August 30, 2011, 06:02:16 pm »
Sajainta, I'm so sorry. :(

To join the chorus of "just in case this is helpful" voices: my city has a program where you can apply for a card that will give you free (or incredibly discounted) medical services. When my boyfriend broke his wrist, he used it. It wasn't ideal.. he had to go to certain clinics and certain hospitals, the wait list was like a month, and there was red tape galore, but it was better than nothing.  This is in my ridiculously red state, too, so if it's here I imagine it's in other places!

rushingwind

• Guru of Life Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #6114 on: August 31, 2011, 12:42:02 am »

*cringe* Health problems are never fun. The only advice I know to offer has to do with medicine. If you take any prescription medication that's very expensive, there are organizations that can help you get your medicine for free (usually if you're uninsured). If you go to your local county's Department of Health, they should have information on all the low-cost/free medical services in the area.

rushingwind

• Guru of Life Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #6115 on: August 31, 2011, 12:49:51 am »
My frustration today: I have a Physics professor who can barely speak English. When she lectures, she sounds like she's talking in her native language, and doesn't sound like she's speaking in English at all. The class is becoming increasingly disruptive, with students getting upset over not being able to understand a single word over a three-hour class (twice a week, too!). She repeats herself over and over again, until she gets upset, and then she becomes even less understandable.

If I just sit back and passively listen to her, I don't understand anything. If I concentrate really hard on every single word she says, I may get one out of ten. I mean, how is that acceptable for a professor? Maybe I'm just spoiled, and colleges just expect students to "deal with it," but if I'm having to super-concentrate just to figure out that she's actually speaking English, how am I supposed to learn anything?

I'm lucky, because Physics is very easy for me, and I can easily teach myself (if there were no attendance policy, I'd just show up for tests). But I know there are others in the class who are not so lucky, and they're getting more and more upset and distressed as time goes on.

Maybe colleges don't care, and they really do just expect students to "deal with it." I honestly don't know what a college's view would be on this subject. Or maybe this really is unacceptable for a professor. Anyone have any insight?

Shee

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
  • Sheeeeeeit
    • View Profile
« Reply #6116 on: August 31, 2011, 01:12:37 am »
Saj - All the best.  I hope that you figure it out and be well.  Ummm....ice cream?  Everybody likes ice cream.

RW - Sounds like you gotta bring something up, whether it be another professor (Science/Physics hopefully), a Dean, somebody.  The fact that multiple people are getting upset means there is a problem.  It is not acceptable.  Might not get you much, but it's something.  It's no different from a professor teaching French that can't speak French well.  At least in MY book that's how it goes.  And my book is a coloring book...wait what?

Everybody Else - One person flash mob.

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #6117 on: August 31, 2011, 07:48:42 am »
@RW - You might not like this suggestion I'm about to give you (no tact), but here it is anyway.

If there's a serious issue, just be straight-forward about it. Go to your teacher and politely explain that you, or rest of the class, can't explain a word she's speaking. Talk to her about the issue and help her figure out how she's gonna get about. Maybe she could appoint a student to narrate for her (since teaching helps you learn better than actual learning)? If she's stubborn, then talk to the college Dean about it, flattering the teacher (even if falsely) and saying that you really wish to learn, but that none of the students understand her language. If your college isn't run by fascist pricks, they'll hear ya.

Knowing you, things will just go fine. I'm, unfortunately, the guy who dares to rebel and mock the mooks.  :D (They banned make-up at the institute once, so just to fuck with them I tattoo'd my face)

@Shee - Haha! I stole that quote and stored it in my bookmarks, just because I can't be as awesome as you.  :lol:

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6118 on: September 01, 2011, 12:12:04 am »
I've been doing some freelance writing and I got on article rejected, which isn't so much the frustration as that I really shouldn't have taken the assignment in the first place. It was too long to begin with to be worthwhile for the pay, then rewrites were requested which essentially had me split it into three articles (with no increased pay). At that point I should have cut my losses, but I stuck with it. Finally it was rejected. Even though it was a friggenly huge article at that point, it was still too large of a topic to cover in such a small space, so it lacked a desired level of obsessive compulsive specificity. I really should be beyond the point of misjudging the effort required on a writing project by now.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6119 on: September 01, 2011, 12:23:21 am »
Commiserations, Thought. Seldom does my patented Iron Fist feel heavier than when it hangs over the heads of mooks who dare defy the Great Lord of the J!