Author Topic: The $%*! frustration thread  (Read 480360 times)

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
Re: The $%*! frustration thread
« Reply #5085 on: March 26, 2010, 09:04:49 pm »
I am going to fucking destroy sexism or die trying. The Gendendium will have its day.

Samopoznanie

• Enlightened One (+200)
  • Playing Upon the Strings of Emptiness
    • View Profile
« Reply #5086 on: March 27, 2010, 03:21:10 am »
I had to go into hibernation for awhile to meet a deadline... this whole issue is pretty buried now, but I'll add to a pair of minor items, re: J's comments two pages back.
But the real point of interest here is: What do you do about it? ... I've had years to practice all three. I've learned something of the art of argument.
While I can agree that there's a certain art to debate - 'argument' strikes me as something more brash and inane - there's only so much 'art' you can learn over the years by typing on a screen with strangers. Especially when they can just google stats or trivia on the go. I've done my time as far as that scene goes, and at this point I've got enough papers, panels and political items to work on outside of the web. If I have down time, I'd rather just collapse and watch some highlights from a piece of cinematic gold like Ninja Terminator to flush the day's stress away: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0l7Fp5jTRQ
Before I go: You've got one point that I have to address specifically: He's considerably younger. ...
And I don't need to make innuendos about his age to chart a course.
You're reading into things a bit much.  As I mentioned above, I've tired of internet frays. But I've been through enough of them to know that people get sand in their vaginas over the most petty of comments, or bend them out of context for the sake of arguing. It sucks that we've arrived at the point my instinct is to preface my remarks with politically correct asides, yes. But if that's what it takes to stave off a potential internet shitstorm, then I'll go to the extra trouble of adding a pair of brackets and 3-4 words to my post and let my online character take a hit. I'm about as PC as George Carlin, but internet scrums just aren't my cup of tea these days.

In other news.....

Frustrations? Students who use CAPS LOCK in term papers for added emphasis, or take a shot in the dark with a thesaurus to try and jazz things up.  I'm still trying to picture what an "army attack[ing] polyphonically" is supposed to look like. 
 :picardno

Truthordeal

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Dunno what's supposed to go here. Oh now I see.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Account
« Reply #5087 on: March 27, 2010, 09:52:36 am »
I'm still trying to picture what an "army attack[ing] polyphonically" is supposed to look like. 
 :picardno

Obviously, they are referring to the Kiss Army.

Samopoznanie

• Enlightened One (+200)
  • Playing Upon the Strings of Emptiness
    • View Profile
« Reply #5088 on: March 27, 2010, 03:08:44 pm »
Obviously, they are referring to the Kiss Army.
Ha!  I only wish! Good call though, maybe I'll listen to Sonic Boom (their latest album) while I'm marking today. :lol:

It is kind of eye opening, the stuff you find though.  Copy-and-Pastes from online with a few pronouns or adjectives changed, rambling sentences that repeat peoples' names 4-5 times... another person even cited "An Unknown Document" as a source. :?  If I couldn't laugh, I'd cry.

GenesisOne

• Bounty Seeker
  • "Time Travel? Possible? Don't make me laugh!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5089 on: March 27, 2010, 08:10:54 pm »

Nice use of RuroKen villainy to portray your convictions, Z.

I, too, find Shishio Makoto to be affably evil.

Sajainta

• Survivor of the Darkness
  • Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • Reporting live from Purgatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5090 on: March 29, 2010, 11:31:35 pm »
I've been extremely dizzy all day, with weird muscle spasms randomly happening.  Yuck.

Ramsus

• Entity
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5091 on: March 30, 2010, 12:33:05 am »
Tell me about it. My month of leave ends today, and tomorrow I go back to work, but I spent the last day and a half just lying in bed with a fever and feeling really sore and tired. That hot/cold feeling isn't very good either.

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5092 on: April 02, 2010, 02:29:49 pm »
Windows 7. Specifically, it has compatability issues with almost everything it seems like. So far the two most annoying ones have been Diablo II and Photoshop CS2. I finally was able to get D2 to work, but CS2 continues to allude me.

Alas, poor Photoshop... I knew her, Horatio.
An art program of infinite use.
Where are your layers now, your vectors?

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5093 on: April 02, 2010, 02:35:33 pm »
Thought, do you have the 32 bit edition of Windows 7, or the 64 bit edition? I find that programs work way more stably when I run them in compatibility mode for Windows XP (by right-clicking on the executable of the program I want to run). But I wonder if that trick works for the 64-bit edition of Windows 7 at all.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5094 on: April 02, 2010, 05:40:27 pm »
In the Amusements thread I wrote this:

I saw this advertisement on a letter board at McDonald's during the train ride home yesterday...

My frustration is that I have a natural tendency to combine certain complex noun phrases into single words. For instance, in that sentence I had to fight the urge to write "letterboard" instead of "letter board," and "trainride" instead of "train ride." Neither of these consolidations would be inconsistent with the rules of English grammar, but they are against precedent--the Firefox spellchecker caught me, and I had to choose (against my fiber!) to break them up as I did.

The problem here is that English itself is inconsistent. Some complex nouns are consolidated, like "windowsill." Others are hyphenated, like "role-playing." Others still are left unlinked, like "bottle opener."

In some instances I override the precedent. For instance, I rarely write "roleplaying" as "role-playing." (Indeed, I tend to consolidate many of the hyphenated complex nouns, which itself is consistent with a wider trend in modern English away from hyphenation of complex nouns.) Other times, I choose to override or observe the precedent based on the venue. In my fiction writing, I show very little deference for precedents, but in essays the bias is revered. In casual writing, such as here, I tend to respect the precedent unless I am prepared to override it and offer a rebuttal to anyone who criticizes it. This is primarily a matter of principle, since in practice people rarely bother to critique my grammar, but it is a good example of a non-ideological principle which I respect and try to adhere to: Don't make a commitment that you aren't willing to uphold if tested.

My frustration here is quite minor, but I suppose worth writing about, because here we are!

GenesisOne

• Bounty Seeker
  • "Time Travel? Possible? Don't make me laugh!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5095 on: April 02, 2010, 09:45:38 pm »

Well, if ever I find myself tempted to combine separate words into what appear to be single words, I use my good friend the hyphen.

Otherwise (or is it "other wise"?), they're still two separate words, no matter what I seem them as.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5096 on: April 02, 2010, 09:50:07 pm »
My frustration is The Piety of the Artists, my derogatory term for the trouble which arises in science among those whose training is in the liberal arts, the humanities, and the softer of the social sciences, when they appeal to, or invoke, the much more rigorous natural sciences. The core of the problem is that their appeals are inappropriate both in concept and substance. To put it very simply, they invoke science without being scientific.

I have a foot in both worlds: Nearly all of my collegiate study was in engineering, physics, and chemistry, while at the same time most of my non-academic activities have been outside of the hard sciences. I have come to understand just how easily the scientific method can be misused (deliberately or not) to create the illusion of empirical authority where there is none, and thereby to create false substantiation for claims. Over the years I have been chagrined and humbled by my previous lack of awareness when it came to making claims; I have since tempered my scientific claim-making considerably, though perhaps you would not notice it unless you have known me all this time and can remember the way I used to be. Even if you don't remember, you will surely recall my contempt for those who invoke pseudo-science, such as the ones who appeal to a “quantum physics” of which they have no grasp whatsoever in order that they might “authoritatively” explain a universe using framework that is as fantastical as that of faeries and elves.

Fortunately, the cure is simple: Don't mix science with the appeal to authority. Proper science requires no authority whatsoever and shudders under the very premise. I don't want to see any of you misusing science in this way. Science is as accessible as its anti-intellectual detractors claim it is not, but it cannot be cheated upon. It is a world whose work must largely be done by oneself. Your ability to make claims in areas where you have undertaken little personal study...is necessarily quite limited. Be prudent, be judicious. Do not invoke science's good name when you are unable to uphold the same.

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5097 on: April 04, 2010, 04:51:00 pm »
Thought, do you have the 32 bit edition of Windows 7, or the 64 bit edition? I find that programs work way more stably when I run them in compatibility mode for Windows XP (by right-clicking on the executable of the program I want to run). But I wonder if that trick works for the 64-bit edition of Windows 7 at all.

I have the 64 bit edition and have had no problems with Adobe CS3 Master Suite. The trick does work, with the 64 bit Win7, there is a compatibility mode for Windows XP and there is also an x86 Program Files directory where 32 bit programs install themselves and they run beautifully.

I have to admit, I have grown to love windows 7. It didn't work well with most of my plug n play peripherals when I first got it around Christmas time of last year, but within a month, all the drivers had been updated and my digital SLR camera,
my combo scanner/printer,
my wacom tablet,
my wireless mouse and keyboard (had to check),
logitech gamepad,
all works perfectly. And setting up a home network was a breeze. What are you having trouble with, Thought? Anything I can help with, possibly?

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5098 on: April 05, 2010, 11:13:17 am »

64, if I am recalling correctly. Yeah, the compatibility mode is necessary for running almost any program that hasn't been designed specifically for Windows 7. And, of course, making sure that one runs a program as an administrator whenever there is modification or installing going on. My problem with CS2 is that it doesn't recognize the registration code after I install it; it is a valid code, it had been working swimmingly on my now mostly-dead desktop. Thus the only thing I have been able to conclude is that there is some conflict that it preventing photoshop from properly verifying the code.

I have the 64 bit edition and have had no problems with Adobe CS3 Master Suite. The trick does work, with the 64 bit Win7, there is a compatibility mode for Windows XP and there is also an x86 Program Files directory where 32 bit programs install themselves and they run beautifully.

An oddity with CS2 is that it won’t allow me to accept the x86 program directory as a valid pathway for installation. There is the standard Program File Directory that it will install to, but then when I go to check the actual file locations afterwards, they've really installed on that x86 Program Files directory that it said it couldn't find. Perhaps that is actually the problem; the program might think it's in a different location than it is.

Thanks for the advice, both of you.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #5099 on: April 05, 2010, 07:11:25 pm »

American media is shit. It brings to mind this:

A bunch of European outlets have also now picked up the Wikileaks story and are running it as frontpage items. CNN? Nothing.