Author Topic: It's the Ultrasuper Fantasmagasmic PBS Thread !! ^_^  (Read 1337 times)

Kanadyets

• Guardian (+100)
  • Need you not a swordsman?!
    • View Profile
It's the Ultrasuper Fantasmagasmic PBS Thread !! ^_^
« on: July 19, 2007, 02:45:12 pm »
Kanadyets: Oh, I know. I've been familiarizing myself with Canadian politics lately in preparation for an eventual move to Canada. I'm just still working with the American mindset at the moment.

I know, it was more of a general commentary on the uselessness of the whole left-right matter, and I think it goes well beyond the Canadian context.  Plus it was a bit of venting on my part.  Those in my party tend to consider me a left-wing yahoo on account of my social politics, while the my friends on the left think my interests in keeping government out of people's pocketbook firmly identifies me as some sort of ultra-right corporate criminal.  The point is that it's the issues more than the identity that matter.

Oh, and as a hint on moving to the Great, White North...best to get the process started as early as possible if you are serious about doing it.  It's a common misconception that it's easy to emmigrate here.  My sister-in-law was given the run around, and she should have been fast tracked on account of her being married to my sister.  To be honest, they got the impresson she was given a hard time specifically because she's American.  You'll find a lot of latent anti-Amercianism up here.

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2007, 06:03:09 am »
If and when this country moves back toward the left, it'll be through people in the Democratic party, because they're the only ones besides the Republicans with access to power.
Uh, correction, the Patriots actually have a lot of power over the USA - and incidentally, the world! If I were you, I would invest my loyalty in the scarily far right, so when the time comes when the Patriots finally come out of the closet (so to speak), you'll be rewarded with security and protection from those damn guerilla resistance fighters.

Er, right.

True random number generator goes online!
Bah, who needs a random number generator, when you can have a long list of numbers that we need in real life!
Darn it, the Random.org website used to have a link to another website which was the complete opposite of a random number generator: it just showed the number 1. Gone though.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2007, 03:01:57 pm »
Why isn't any mainstream media picking up that fifth amendment violation?

Kyronea

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2007, 03:34:03 pm »

They prefer to be larger versions of Entertainment Tonight! Damn stupid corporate media...we really need more public news organizations in this country.

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2007, 01:13:55 am »
No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a Grand Jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the Militia, when in actual service in time of War or public danger; nor shall any person be subject for the same offense to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb; nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation.
?

They prefer to be larger versions of Entertainment Tonight! Damn stupid corporate media...we really need more public news organizations in this country.
PBS? :lol:

Kyronea

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2007, 01:19:20 am »
Yes, PBS...the station that everyone is--bizzarly--convinced is some sort of liberal propaganda station, which is ridiculous because

A. Liberal doesn't mean a damned sensible thing in America anymore

B. It's as unbiased as any station can be.

But because of that lack of bias, people assume it's some crazy left-wing crap...don't know why.

Also, what confuses you about the quoted statement?

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2007, 08:05:42 am »
No, I just heard that PBS was a crappy station.
Oh, and don't worry about the Fifth Amendment thing. I didn't know what he was referencing to.

Kyronea

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2007, 12:30:26 pm »
It's only crappy because it doesn't get anywhere near enough funding. It has some interesting programs, but they're targeted at a rather specific audience.

What it needs is more news reporting, really, and more funding from the government to report the news, as unbiased as possible. Obviously whoever reports the news on there is going to have their own bit of bias showing through, but that's can't be helped because that's part of human nature.

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2007, 03:30:34 am »
Same is happening here. SBS shows fucking ads now. THEY HAVE ADBREAKS DURING PROGRAMS! Thankfully ABC isn't going the same route...yet.

From what I hear, the equivalent to PBS here is TVS, a crappy broadcasting channel that gets funding from selling crushed aluminium cans...probably.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2007, 04:56:56 am »
Lol, you misspelled aluminum Zeppy.

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
Re: It's the Ultrasuper Fantasmagasmic PBS Thread !! ^_^
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2007, 05:29:57 am »
PBS can be hit or miss, and it depends on where you are. In the Pacific Northwest at least, they used to run Richard Proenneke's documentary. Great stuff.

Kyronea

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2007, 12:51:33 pm »
I've watched PBS occasionally. I like some of the programs they tend to show, like the music and fine arts stuff. It's really quite intriguing because you so rarely hear about the specific subjects in any other media these days.

J: No he didn't. You just did.

Lu Su

• Guardian (+100)
  • Im an EVIL
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2007, 07:36:47 pm »
theres a simple anwser move to europe, ociania, africa or asia

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2007, 09:43:43 pm »
J: No he didn't. You just did.

Would you care to defend your baseless hearsay?

Kyronea

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2007, 10:24:59 pm »

Would you care to defend your baseless hearsay?
Certainly.

Depending on the dialect of English utlized, aluminium can be spelled in many different ways. Aluminium is the original spelling, whereas Aluminum is the common spelling in the United States and possibly Canada, though I would bank on Aluminium.

Because British English is more fun, I am arbitrarily deciding that its spelling of aluminium is the correct one, even though neither and both are correct depending on circumstances.