Author Topic: It's the Ultrasuper Fantasmagasmic PBS Thread !! ^_^  (Read 1691 times)

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
Re: It's the Ultrasuper Fantasmagasmic PBS Thread !! ^_^
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2007, 10:42:57 pm »
Blast you and your arbitrary declarations!

You'd have done better to argue that "aluminium" is how they spell it in Australia, and so Zeppy wasn't incorrect when he wrote it. Then I'd have countered that the Compendium is an American site, and we expect people to try and communicate in American English here. Then you'd have counter-countered that that's nationalistic and patronizing. Then I'd have contracounter-countered that, regardless, "aluminum" was the original spelling, and that the "i" only got added in when it became conventional to suffix metals with "ium," to which you'd have contra-contracounter-countered "Er...," to which I'd have contracounter-countercontra-contracontra-countercountercontracountered "Yep. Josh: 62 million; Kyronea: 0." And, furthermore, the "aluminium" variation, in addition to being the less original word, is chiefly British--so why the hell are you talking about Australia?

And, of course, that would be a feint on my part, because I have no friggin' clue how they spell it in Australia, but by then you'd be so utterly overwhelmed that your brains would explode into a million pieces, turning the walls of your room into a big, open-faced gray matter sandwich.

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2007, 03:04:47 am »
In Australia, they use British spelling, but upside-down.

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2007, 09:19:06 am »
Maybe the US of A-ians would rather their language not be Britannicized. I have written a 30 page argument discussing my theory on how in 20 years time, Americans will spell America, Amnericka ("those damn explorers, impose their Latin names on us will they!"), and Chrono Compendium with two C's, two H's, two R's, two O's, two N's, two more O's, and the second word being Comp. (though that might just be due to Zeality's extreme measures into breaking off from the confusing and stupid language we call English and into a far more sophisticated language called Zealian). And it'll be hip to say, US of Aye!? Though that is completely irrelevant to what I'm trying to say...wait- what was I trying to say? That's right, something about robots.

So anyway, back on topic- wait, PBS?! Lord J (I assume) did one of his uberhaxorsplits for something hardly anyone was talking about :? Amirite? Oh well, this will undoubtedly be split by Z into a thread criticizing British grammar and spelling.

I think one of the reasons I hate (well, dislike) PBS is due to the logo.

To me, it just screams low budget, crappy programming, a large array of annoying infomercials and some stupid telethon trying to raise money for PBS (wait, I picked up that idea off the Simpsons).

It also implies something about two white guys sandwiching a black guy in between them. Then the phrase "two wongs don't make a white" comes to mind. Then a mob of angry Asians burning down PBS comes to mind. So basically, change the logo!

The second thing is the slogans they use. Stolen from a site whose (who's?) name can not (cannot?) be mentioned (though it starts with W and ends with ikipedia), these are the slogans they used/are using:

• It's All Right Here In Color (1970-1971)
  • Your Head Network (1971-1984)
  • TV Worth Watching (1984-1989)
  • Just Watch Us Now (1989-1996)
  • Your On Us (1996-2001)
  • Stay Curious (2001-2002)
  • Be More (2002-present)
  • On PBS (2007-present)

Nuff said.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2007, 09:21:53 am by Burning Zeppelin »

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2007, 09:28:42 am »
I think one of the reasons I hate (well, dislike) PBS is due to the logo.

To me, it just screams low budget, crappy programming, a large array of annoying infomercials and some stupid telethon trying to raise money for PBS (wait, I picked up that idea off the Simpsons).

It also implies something about two white guys sandwiching a black guy in between them. Then the phrase "two wongs don't make a white" comes to mind. Then a mob of angry Asians burning down PBS comes to mind. So basically, change the logo!

Hmm, "Peanut Butter & Black Sandwich." Sounds interesting and vaguely yummy.

I happen to like the PBS logo. I also take issue with your idea that PBS has crappy programming. When last I watched television on a regular basis, PBS was one of the most consistently enjoyable channels. From Bill Moyers, to Masterpiece Theater, to Nova, they have had and shall continue to have quality shows.

The constant pleading for money is better than commercials, because it seldom interrupts the programming, and because it's for a good cause: It's very important for we Americans to support a public station, because the telecommunications corporations are gobbling up all consumer media.

Really, Zeppy, your contempt for PBS is just a thinly layered sandwich of prejudice, ignorance, and peanut butter. And I'm talking about lowly crunchy peanut butter, not the good creamy stuff.

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2007, 09:40:23 am »
I'm not arguing that it doesn't show good programming, just that the logo looks like a crappy IT business's (argh, screw it) logo.

And I'm with you when it comes to supporting our public broadcasting channels. I'm sick of commercial television. I'm sick of commercial news. It seems that everywhere I go, all I see is lying in the news, low quality television created to promote their stars or crush the opposition (for Australians- It Takes Two? Dancing With The Stars? SKATING ON THIN ICE? Fuck you, Channel 7). We need more ABC- not so much conservative, don't mess with anyone and you won't get hurt take on the definition of "no bias" approach to media, but rather a mess with everything and everyone approach, where you can't be biased because you crush everything in your path (I can't say the same for the host of the Great Global Warming Swindle discussion on ABC- geez, he was biased).

And to clear things up, I like crunch peanut butter :( It gives my sandwiches the extra crunch I need in my food, to get me through the day.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2007, 08:30:18 pm »
PBS gave us (or the U.S.) access to both Red Dwarf & Flying Circus. Thus, it kicks ass. Other stuff, too, I'm sure, but those two mainly.