Author Topic: Redesign  (Read 4760 times)

Sora

• Chronopolitan (+300)
  • The Terror Of Death
    • View Profile
Redesign
« on: June 30, 2007, 09:59:10 pm »
i think you should redesign the site for the following reasons:

1) the colors are nasty.
2) a whole bunch of scroll bars appear in parts of the site that really don't need them.
3) the sites looked like this for a LONG time, and change is good.

MsBlack

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
Re: Redesign
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2007, 10:10:39 pm »
i think you should redesign the site for the following reasons:

1) the colors are nasty.
2) a whole bunch of scroll bars appear in parts of the site that really don't need them.
3) the sites looked like this for a LONG time, and change is good.

1) Back up your statement
2) If you mean what I think you mean, that's a problem with SMF.
3) Change is not inherently good or bad. The site staying the same for a long time would surely demonstrate that its current state is satisfactory enough for enough of its userbase, right?

saridon

• Mystical Knight (+700)
  • eater of cows and small fuzzy animals since 1991
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2007, 12:05:54 am »

stop using IE

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2007, 12:19:10 am »
I used to think the colours were nasty, but after a while you get used to it, and it has now become a central part of Chrono Compendium. It's a very cosy welcoming colour.

And you should've seen the CC before.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2007, 04:29:31 am »
This green sure as hell is nicer than the soppingly dark colors that many fansites use. It's also easier on the eye than many bright-color alternatives.

As for change for change's sake, I think that's a dishonest philosophy--admittedly one that many companies believe absolutely. If ZeaLitY has a strategic goal in mind, or Ramsus has an operational one, then we can consider change.

Kanadyets

• Guardian (+100)
  • Need you not a swordsman?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2007, 05:15:14 am »

Bear in mind this all comes from someone who was recently given several sound reasons as to why he shouldn't start his own site.  I wouldn't say this is the sort of suggestion that comes on good authority.  Besides, the site is solid and the stats show it.

Chrono'99

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2007, 09:48:52 am »
The colors are awesome. Red would be too pro-CT and blue would be too pro-CC. Green is neutral and it's a nice color.

Ramsus

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2007, 03:42:07 pm »
By God, you're right! I'm going to make the site pink now. It'll be really cute.

Honestly though, I'm not going to be taking color scheme advice from someone who has no taste. It's bad enough we get kids coming now and then offering advice on how to use PHP headers and footers to automate the site's layout, then offering to "revamp" the site for us. Basically, unless you're a professional I recognize and respect, you can take any advice you have and fuck off.

Also, fixing everything in IE would be a pain (except the navigation menu... that's just me being lazy and not having a PC until just recently). It's one thing to design a layout around your own content management system and a new site, but to create a layout with styles that work in MediaWiki, SMF, a custom news script, and a few different article presentation scripts, with all of the poorly marked up content from the last several years is a lot tougher, especially when you try to make it work in IE as well. And then you have to try and anticipate how Zeality will push those styles, which he'll often go and break them with his latest markup and content...

And that's why that scrollbar problem exists. If I had a lot of free time, I might fix it, but I'd say defending the nation is a tad more important than fixing some cosmetic issues with an obscure fansite. All I can suggest is, if it really bothers you, use the latest Firefox or Safari.

Ramsus

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2007, 03:48:28 pm »
I'm seriously tempted to make everything cutesy and pink now, just to spite the "can't stand anything that doesn't look like every other 'uber-cool' gaming site" crowd.

DMagusEdwards

• Porrean (+50)
  • Kill...Loot...Repeat...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2007, 03:56:47 pm »
I always liked the look of the site.....Why change?

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2007, 09:47:19 pm »
I'm seriously tempted to make everything cutesy and pink now, just to spite the "can't stand anything that doesn't look like every other 'uber-cool' gaming site" crowd.
Maybe next April Fools day.

satchel_dawg

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2007, 04:03:17 pm »
i think the green is very calming, the only thing i think could possibly be updated is the cc logo on top, but then again it looks pretty good.

justin3009

• Fan Project Leader
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2007, 05:39:12 pm »
Much better then the old look <_<

Ramsus

« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2007, 09:00:34 pm »
Much better then the old look <_<

You mean that pumpkin layout that the gamma in Windows turned pink? Just wait until next time. Depending on my mood, it could be uber-sleek uber-modern slick, or it could be uber-cutesy pink with fluffy text.

justin3009

• Fan Project Leader
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2007, 08:34:23 pm »
I'd like to see how many people "WTF!" at the uber-cutesy pink.