Author Topic: never played Cross before, which characters should I use?  (Read 1296 times)

LuccaFan

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
never played Cross before, which characters should I use?
« on: August 03, 2008, 07:04:44 pm »
Well, after just beating Chrono Trigger for the first time in my life a few weeks ago, I decided I wanted to try the sequel. I have it ordered and I should be getting it soon.

But I heard this game has over 40 stinkin characters, and that a lot of the characters are just filler! So, how many people are allowed on a party at once, and which characters should I use to get the most out of the story? ARe there any characters with there own interesting stories that would be worth looking into?

I'm thinking Kid is a definite one, because after a few spoilers and playing radical dreamers, I think her character is just interesting enough to keep whenever possible. And that's the extent of my knowledge of the characters of this game. Oh...and that a certain character might die depending on how fast you play the game...I have no clue whether or not she's important though, I'll have to wait and see.

If possible, please keep spoilers to a minimum.  It's not very often I can get into a game as fresh and unspoiled as I am right now, I'd like it to be a completely new experience. :)

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
Re: never played Cross before, which characters should I use?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2008, 07:12:35 pm »
Pierre is a lot of fun, and can be one of hte strongest characters after you get his Hero stuff.

Delta Dragon

• Creative Emeritus
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2008, 07:19:55 pm »
Well there aren't very many characters that have any real development.  A few of the really good ones are  Kid, Fargo, Harle, Karsh, Serge of course, and Radius.  Although Karsh and Fargo are the only ones in that list who have extra plot that is optional.  But you can only use 3 at a time.  In combat I recommend any of these: Riddel, Guile, Glenn, Sprigg, Razzly,or Fargo.  Those are some of my favorites.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2008, 09:34:50 pm »
Save collecting all the characters for a New Game+...I think it might even be best for a first game to refuse as many characters as possible and just go through it w/whoever is forced upon you. It might also actually add some challenge to an otherwise cakewalk game...>_>

Rand

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2008, 12:28:43 am »
Magic works differently in this game, so it won't matter much who you decide to take.  Everyone pretty much evens out one way or another.  So just take whoever you take a liking to.

Delta Dragon

• Creative Emeritus
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2008, 03:13:56 am »
There are some characters who are exceptional, but most of them are just average.  But none of them are absolutely terrible.  Like Rand said, it's mostly a matter of preference.  Whether you like a character who is good at magic and not very good at physical, (Riddel for example) or a character wgo's bad at magic and super at physical, (Leah or Zoah for example) Or balanced.  (like Serge or Nikki)

MagilsugaM

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Time Traveler (+800)
  • Never say never... Nothing is impossible...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2008, 07:03:23 pm »
There are some characters who are exceptional, but most of them are just average.  But none of them are absolutely terrible.  Like Rand said, it's mostly a matter of preference.  Whether you like a character who is good at magic and not very good at physical, (Riddel for example) or a character wgo's bad at magic and super at physical, (Leah or Zoah for example) Or balanced.  (like Serge or Nikki)

Serge is not balanced he has extreme magic and attack!!

Moonglasses

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2008, 03:46:01 am »
A lot of who you'll use is dependent on what path(s) you choose on your first way through. Also, the order in which you recruit characters will obviously affect who use you at a given time. In my opinion, these are the characters you should look out for:

Magic: Leena, Riddel, Razzly, Harle*. Guile is also pretty decent for magic, but his element grid really kind of sucks intially.

Physical: GrobyC, Glenn**, Leah, Orlha, Karsh, Zoah. Marcy is pretty good, too.

Still, as someone stated earlier, you really can't go too wrong with anybody. This isn't the most difficult game in the world. Basically, you should play with whatever characters you like the most :) These characters are really just the ones I find suited to my play style. Hope this helps!

*On your first run through, I recommend not investing EVERYTHING in Harle, for reasons you'll find out. However, in some of my New+ and Continue+ files, she is my primary magic user and kind of kicks butt :)

**Glenn is especially powerful later on, after you do some sidequesting to teach him something nifty :)

Delta Dragon

• Creative Emeritus
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2008, 02:28:36 pm »
Magic: Leena, Riddel, Razzly, Harle*. Guile is also pretty decent for magic, but his element grid really kind of sucks intially.

What are you talking about?  Guile has like one of the best element grids.  At least if you train him enough. 

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2008, 02:40:40 pm »

What are you talking about?  Guile has like one of the best element grids.  At least if you train him enough. 

When you quote something, maybe you should actually read it...?

Lord Chrono

• Iokan (+1)
  • Arbiter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2008, 10:52:58 pm »
I would say just play through and enjoy the story itself your first time through.  Go for all your characters in the New Game +.  The characters you get just playing through are tied in well with the story (though side storys and character development is lax).  Kid has a good side story of course and IMO Glenn shows the most character development out of everyone.  Fargo and Karsh have a small side quest involving them personally, but nothing ginormous.  Though many of the other charaters you get playing strait through fit in the overall plot, there really isn't that much depth behind them.

Just go with the styles and characters you prefer out of the initial bunch for the best experience is what I suggest.  Think of all the other optional characters as nothing more than a side quest for fun.

~Lord Chrono~
« Last Edit: August 08, 2008, 03:04:31 pm by Lord Chrono »