Author Topic: Character Sketches.  (Read 32136 times)

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
Character Sketches.
« Reply #45 on: October 12, 2004, 06:14:12 am »
That's right, Hadriel, you pimp your shit...:roll:

:lol: Like I'm one to talk (LOOK AT MY SIG!)

Oh, I was wondering...My Keystone characters, Hunter & Amy...I am in the process of writing their introductory scene...And I was thinking of having them find some spectacular object (which would probably lead the eye of Gaspar upon them)...Although the Rainbow Shell is obviously out of the question, I was wondering, what could they find? I was thinking something that could possibly combine with something else that Hunter already had...or something that could be two parts or something so they could/would have to share it...

I thought of perhaps the Moonstone...or maybe even the Frozen Flame? But I'm not sure...Somebody wanna kick some ideas around?

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
Character Sketches.
« Reply #46 on: October 12, 2004, 10:10:30 am »
It'd be interesting if for some reason they found the Moonstone thanks to the recent disturbing of history; Gaspar would instantly call that a No-No and dip his hand in the affairs of men.

Leebot

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Black Wind Agent (+600)
    • View Profile
    • Infophilia
Character Sketches.
« Reply #47 on: October 12, 2004, 12:57:28 pm »
Perhaps they could find some ultra-powerful weapons and armor that were created from (directly or indirectly) the Rainbow Shell.

One other idea I had was for a Keystonian "mage" who gained his powers from some wierd arcane ritual involving the Rainbow Shell. If you still need more characters (particularly Keystonians), I'll post him.

Symmetry

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
Character Sketches.
« Reply #48 on: October 12, 2004, 04:23:26 pm »
As soon as you mentioned the Rainbow Shell, I thought of the Moonstone.

Interestingly enough, ZeaLitY pointed out that the Sun Keep is the point ZEAL uses to warp in and out of Keystone. The Moonstone should be waiting there, right? Perhaps Hunter & Amy happened to be witnesses to some action by the Nanashi and followed them there, stumbling upon the Moonstone in the process?

Of course, how they'd manage to track the Nanashi without them knowing it is a little sketchy, but still... someplace to start.

Initially, there were some ideas to incorporate the Frozen Flame into the project somehow - as the last bit of tinkering with the timeline, ZEAL might give it to someone who really shouldn't ever get their hands on it. I don't know if we're going to use that idea now, but it couldn't hurt if somehow Hunter & Amy had some contact with it.

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
Character Sketches.
« Reply #49 on: October 12, 2004, 07:21:07 pm »
Yeah, I'm not too sure about that Sunkeep thing...but after the tinkering (and especially the end of Lavos), would the Moonstone still be there at all?

Plus, we only know where the Moonstone from the future is (the one from Son of Sun [holy crap, I just thought, is Son of Sun related to SonofaGun in CC?])...The Moonstone in it's earlier forms Pre-Future would definately still be around, right? Especially with the ZEAL tinkering...Although another question I'd want to ask about the Moonstone is: how long exactly did it take the Moonstone to run out of juice? We know in the future 2300AD that it's become a Moonstone, but what about before?

The main thing I haven't gone over with the characters is where they are...at first I thought maybe Choras (sp?) and then thought about the Mystic Continent...and if I were to introduce the FF, I'd probably make them in El Nido (which would be a fine choice as Hunter is Demi-human)...heck, I could probably make it El Nido for the Moonstone too...

Hadriel

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
    • View Profile
Character Sketches.
« Reply #50 on: October 12, 2004, 09:32:58 pm »
Quote from: V_Translanka
That's right, Hadriel, you pimp your shit...

I prefer English rather than ebonics on subjects of any seriousness...foo.   8)

Leebot

• Guru of Time Emeritus
    • View Profile
    • Infophilia
Character Sketches.
« Reply #51 on: October 13, 2004, 10:57:32 pm »
A little expansion on Sigma, for when others will be including her in their posts:

First, Sigma is not intended to be overpowered (She's immune to every attack the enemy can throw at her! If they ever try to cast a spell, she'll turn it around and kill them!). Quite the opposite; she's meant to be quite pathetic in combat, with her ability only coming into play on rare, desperate occasions at first (the feeling of desperation being the prime factory). Later on, as she gains experience, she could become quite a nuisance to enemy spellcasters, nullifying or reflecting their attacks back at them (ie. She'll improve like any other character).

Additionally, her ability's effectiveness is limited by the enemy's magical ability, and strengthened by her experience, determination, and desperation. This means that she won't be as resistant to spells of more powerful mages, but, as seen in my first post, she can still pull off a miracle if she's desperate enough.

On her personality: She's generally suspicious, cautious, and quiet, but is prone to outbursts and fits of rage, all due to her ordeal. I expect her to develop a degree of hero-worship towards Argus, assuming he rescues her in the jailbreak. A few of her old traits remain: She's intelligent and clever, but poor in social situations. From time to time, she'll make nearly superhuman leaps of logic, not knowing herself how she comes to her conclusions. As her old personality resurfaces, she'll show herself to be more and more inquisitive, along with talking more.

Combat: She'll try to avoid any form of combat whenever possible, trying to find an alternative way out or to set up a trap for the enemy. If the rest of the party gets engaged in battle, she'll try to stay out of the way and find some alternative way to help out (toss out potions to her allies, look around for environmental factors she could take advantage of, etc.). Once she's become more confident in her ability, she may try to disrupt enemy spellcasters, shield her allies from harmful spells, or turn back spells.

Symmetry

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
Character Sketches.
« Reply #52 on: October 13, 2004, 11:35:46 pm »
Good thinking.

Probably a good idea for everyone to provide a little help on how they'd like to see their characters portrayed. I'll get something similiar up quite soon.

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
Character Sketches.
« Reply #53 on: October 14, 2004, 08:37:02 pm »
Hmmm...Argus is on the whole patient, as a result from having studied Temporal Magic extensively, however the tattoo affair has been rather frustrating for him. So while he may be a bit snappy during the escape from ZEAL, once he makes it out, he should go back to being his old patient self. He generally doesn't move more quickly than he has to, and will happily sit quitely while not needed or waiting. He still gets frustrated when trying to use his more powerful, and therefor, more heavily limited, spells, but generally calms down soon after the encounter ends.

Claado Shou

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
Character Sketches.
« Reply #54 on: October 14, 2004, 10:19:15 pm »
Alright, here's my first character (I have another one in mind, but he'll come in later).

1) Gryph Elesian.  

Gryph is a man from the 600 A.D. of the Lavos timeline, born in 565 A.D.  He grew up as a merchant, trading goods (dangerously) between Guardia and Medina, even though a war between Mystics and humans was breaking out.  In 597 A.D. he was arrested by Guardia troops because of his direct violation of the trade ban between the two continents, sentencing him to a harsh prison sentence.  He served it well for three years, but during his stay, he began to have delusions that he was the father of a boy from the future, a fatherless single child in 1000 A.D.  He even started to remember things they did together, things that never happened, and judged by the wardens in Guardia as mentally unfit to be released, he has stayed there until this day.  
Gryph is also a master of the blade, having created his own weapon, the Covenant, a sword he hoped to one day pass onto his son.  But at this point, he believes that will never happen.

Symmetry

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
Character Sketches.
« Reply #55 on: October 15, 2004, 12:13:40 am »
Welcome, Claado.

Just so you're aware, you've got awhile to get to the End of Time - if there was more you wanted to do, don't feel rushed to get there.

YbrikMetaknight

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
  • I strike fast and disappear for years at a time.
    • View Profile
    • Chrono Compendium
Character Sketches.
« Reply #56 on: October 15, 2004, 03:22:18 am »
I will be unable to participate in any major way in this project for the foreseeable future (i.e. at the very least until mid-November or so).  I'd like to do the proofreading on all of this, as proofreading is my particular specialty.  But anyway...here is a write-up for an original character of mine.  I want nobody to touch this character at least until I give the OK, preferably not until I have the time to write a bit.  If I ever get around to writing one of the fanfics of my own that I have planned, I will be using her in it, but I see no reason not to have her in ZEAL as well.

Clarice Smythe (name COMPLETELY subject to change, especially the last name) - Home era:  A.D. 1999.  Home Dimension: Keystone.  Magic: Lightning (or innate color if we're using CC stuff:  either yellow or white).  History:  On the Day of Lavos, Clarice was near Ground Zero.  She saw Lavos erupt from the ground, and her childhood love was the first one killed in the Rain of Terror (they were both 18).  A few moments after he died in her arms, Crono & Co. warped in.  She watched the Magnificent Seven (as news outlets dubbed them later) fight through the shell, enter it, and emerge victorious.  Although the world at large grew to idolize and even (in some cases) truly worship them, she took it to a new extreme.  She discovered her magic potential in an age when magic was being rediscovered (a la FFVI) and began adventuring.

Wow, I have more ideas for this character already.  Maybe I should go ahead and write a mini-fic to at least introduce her to both the ZEAL universe and to my own fanfic universe.  Too bad I lack the time to do so.  Damn.

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
Character Sketches.
« Reply #57 on: October 15, 2004, 06:31:21 am »
Okay, I just read everything up to (and including) Claado Shou's scene (a little more -ly adverbs than I normally like, nothing in the land of Narnia, and most writers worth their chops are guilty of innocently putting in the randomly placed -ly adverb, myself included, ecept for that 'chops' thing which I'm not sure I completely understand...not a big deal...a very good scene...good writing too!...see how I'm trying to be smooth about this? I'm totally doing this smoothly...) and I know it's just an introductory scene...but I have questions...

I'm guessing that the hint is that he's Crono's father? Yeah, I know, I'm a genius at deduction, a regular sheerluck holms...So are we really going to try and answer that question in this fic of ours? Tell me it's going to be open-ended...please?

2. (oh wait, I didn't number that other part) You said the Lavos timeline...do you really mean the Lavos timeline? Or the Crono/Keystone timeline? Because the Lavos timeline is the one w/o Entity influence where 2300AD is in ruin and Lavos won the earth or whatever...

Three (3), That light-stuff in the cell...I'm guessing a Gate? Yeah, i'm a freakin' detective...It opens, closes, and then opens when he touches it...I know there's still a lot to be explained...But is that going to just lead to the End of Time? Somewhere else? How did it open/suddenly appear?

It's obvious that I can't handle suspence or something...I just want to know because if it's not a gate made by Gaspar or something, then shouldn't Gryph need a Gate Key & a Pendant or somethin'? And what about the Covenant? How is he going to get that if he was in jail?

Sorry to pick it apart! It's my NATURE! Or more accurately, I'm an owl+bungee cord (=my ASS)!

Claado Shou

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
Character Sketches.
« Reply #58 on: October 15, 2004, 09:48:05 am »
Wow, I didn't know that my post was going to cause such excitement.  But since you asked, here are the answers I'm willing to divulge.

1) Yes, Gryph is having delusions of being the father of a boy named Crono, although they've never met and none of those things could possibly have happened.  I'm a huge proponent of the Crono/Jesus corollation, meaning that Crono in fact has no father, meaning that Gryph is and never will be a blood relative of Crono's.  HOWEVER, as the fanfic goes on...well, you'll see.

2) What I meant when I said Lavos timeline (I'm not too keen on the terminology of dimensions) was the timeline as it would have been leading up to Lavos' arrival.  Meaning, Magus is in full force and is summoning Lavos for a final showdown, though whether or not Crono and the others come to stop him is yet to be determined.  Basically, 600 A.D. as Crono knew it the first time he stepped into that Gate.

3) The light Gryph saw in the cell was NOT a Gate...at least, in the traditional sense.  Since it was a bright white light and not the purple-blue kind from the game, I thought that would be apparent.  I also don't want to ruin the revelation (which won't take that long for you guys to figure out), but I'll give you something to work on.  You remember how Robo says that Gates are paths leading into the Entity's already-existing memories?  Well, what if the Entity was trying to create NEW memories...what exactly would He do?

As for my writing style, I took four years of creative writing classes, and that's just the way I do it.  I'm more keen on poetry, actually, so if that filters into my work, I apologize. :)

~.C.S.~

Leebot

• Guru of Time Emeritus
    • View Profile
    • Infophilia
Character Sketches.
« Reply #59 on: October 15, 2004, 11:17:32 am »
Meh, I always considered the Entity female. Why? Well, the Entity is probably the planet, and almost every religion/mythology that personifies the planet makes it female.