Author Topic: A rose by any other name  (Read 2195 times)

thanatos

• Iokan (+1)
  • Thanatic guardian of Abaddon
    • View Profile
A rose by any other name
« on: May 07, 2007, 11:42:21 pm »
Would smell as sweet. But would you? Simply put, From whence did your forum name come from, and the same for your user title.

Thanatos- God of Death, essentially the grim reaper of Greek Culture, Whom I identify heavily with.
Kitemancer- In my Tech Study class at my school, namely CAD (Computer Assisted Drafting, basically blueprints on computers) we were designing kites. Miine flew, even after the point at which it had only 3/4 square inches of fabric left.

If their is already a thread like this I apologize, for I did not see it.

Kyronea

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
Re: A rose by any other name
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2007, 11:47:07 pm »
Uh, basically, this name came from my current NationStates Nation name, which in itself came from me sticking a couple random sounds together to make Kyronea.

Kie-rohn-ee-ah. Kyronea.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2007, 01:25:41 am »
ZeaLitY. The struggle for Zeal from reality is beautiful in itself.

Beeyo

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2007, 04:32:16 am »
Beeyo is the nickname for my nickname, which is an acronym for Beliefs Over Money, Building One Mindstate, or whatever the hell I felt like making it stand for at the time. So B.O.M. Got shortened to B.O. Beeyo.

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2007, 04:38:45 am »
Dunno. Thought it sounded cool. Sorta influenced by Led Zeppelin, and sorta influenced by the Hindenburgh.

Chrono'99

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2007, 06:19:36 am »
Chrono'99 comes from "Chrono Trigger '99", the unofficial name of the PSX Chrono Trigger soundtrack. There's no meaning behind it, I just didn't have any idea and picked this randomly. Looking back, I think it sucks, but I'm used to it and it's not that important anyway. I use other nicknames on the web, like "the Flame Stealer" which comes from Prometheus, the Greek humanistic and kind of Byronic hero.

cupn00dles

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Beneath this mask there is more than flesh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2007, 10:39:56 am »
Well, huh..

Itsa cuppa, and itsa n00dles! Voilą!

Seriously now, a bunch of years ago I used the nickname "Noodles" on most stuff (a reference to Offspring's guitarist and to my hair at the time, which a certain girl once said looked like macaroni). Then, a few years ago, considering how many people nicknamed "Noodles" there were, everywere, I shortened it to "NoodS" (nickname, this, which I use almost everywhere 'til nowadays). Then, around the time I registered here, I went to create a Yahoo!Messenger account, and the nickname "noods" was already taken. So, I came up with the ridiculously spelled "cupn00dles" thing (which I thought kinda funny), which, then, I stick up for some time, including the time when I created my Compendium account.

Wow. That was some serious explanation.  :lee:

Lu Su

• Guardian (+100)
  • Im an EVIL
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2007, 12:27:51 pm »
Lu Su was a lesser stratigest of the Wu kindom after the han dynasty in china he became comander after the death of Zhou Yu he also acted as a diplomat in the shu kingdom for Sun Quan

Mystic Frog King

• Chronopolitan (+300)
  • It's a secret to everybody!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2007, 02:02:59 pm »
Mystic- a reference to the CT species.
Frog King- from CT also. Has only a minor appearance, but I felt like using an obscure character as a name =]

Elsewhere I go by the names 'Kaze', 'k453' or 'Barrel Rider' (a hobbit reference).

thanatos

• Iokan (+1)
  • Thanatic guardian of Abaddon
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2007, 04:12:19 pm »
Rider of barrel, says the hobbit to the dragon. Yes, I get that reference. Do not forget, this also involves explanation of one's user title.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2007, 05:23:12 pm »
It's the name of this vampire king kinda guy I have in a story I'm "writing" (as much as I'm still writing Magness, anyways...V_V). What's my user title? Destroyer of Worlds or something? Probably inspired by, if not outright stolen from 8BT (who probably stole it from somewhere else...ah, the circle of internet life...). At the very least, that's where Obnoxiously Evil (normally in my various sigs in one form or another) comes from, a take on BM's Atrociously Evil Side...Was it Atrocious? I forget whatever adverb they used that I changed to Obnoxiously...but whatever...

Oh, and by any other name it would probably fuck up Citizen Cane...

Mr. Molecule

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2007, 07:17:48 pm »
Well, I worked as a waiter in a Japanese restaurant for a while. (BTW, I'm white. I was the only white guy there, in fact--but there weren't any Japanese either, mostly Latinos and Indonesians.) In any case, I told one of my co-workers that I'm a chemistry major; he immediately started calling me "Mr. Molecule." I'm not entirely sure he's clear on the concept of molecules; he's sidle up to me, point to, say, a bowl of sugar, and say, "Molecules, eh?"

A few weeks, later, he tried to get me to teach him to make ecstasy.

Needless to say, I've fallen in love with the name, and try to get people to call me by it whenever I can. Thus, it's my Username! It's better than my first though, anyway--chrono456192!1!!1!

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2007, 09:55:34 pm »
Well, I worked as a waiter in a Japanese restaurant for a while. (BTW, I'm white. I was the only white guy there, in fact--but there weren't any Japanese either, mostly Latinos and Indonesians.) In any case, I told one of my co-workers that I'm a chemistry major; he immediately started calling me "Mr. Molecule." I'm not entirely sure he's clear on the concept of molecules; he's sidle up to me, point to, say, a bowl of sugar, and say, "Molecules, eh?"

A few weeks, later, he tried to get me to teach him to make ecstasy.

Needless to say, I've fallen in love with the name, and try to get people to call me by it whenever I can. Thus, it's my Username! It's better than my first though, anyway--chrono456192!1!!1!

Haha, been there. The Japanese restaurant here was staffed completely by Koreans. The place was outfitted with Karaoke machines, and we eventually got some habachi chef from Vegas down here (he cleaned the place up). I want to say those were good times, but to be honest, they weren't that great...

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2007, 02:41:46 am »
Lord + J + Esquire.

CyberSarkany

• Heir to the Masamune
  • Black Wind Agent (+600)
  • "So zetta slow!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2007, 10:17:33 am »
Cyber + Sarkany,
which is, like, a Greek prefix meaning "control" + the Hungarian word for Dragon. What a strange combination...
I don't have a usertitel as far as I know, maybe I'll make myself one soon.