Author Topic: Saving Kid at the orphanage  (Read 1708 times)

Joe000

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
Saving Kid at the orphanage
« on: April 11, 2007, 02:46:37 am »
I have a quick question about that whole episode.  Did the power of the Masamune actually send Serge back in time to save Kid (thus having all sorts of wonderful effects for Kid's relationship with Serge) or was the whole sequence just a facsimile created by Kid's mind?  I ask this because I'm in the process of planning a fic, and this will play a part in it.  Of course, I may just go with what I think is better ;p

Kyronea

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
Re: Saving Kid at the orphanage
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2007, 02:51:06 am »
Presumeably, the Mastermune did, in fact, send Serge back in time to save Kid. Now, understand that she must have gotten out herself before and that this does not represent a casual loop--as, if you recall, Kid saved Serge from drowning and she cannot have done that if she had not escaped the orphanage--but the timeline was rewritten so that Serge saved Kid.

Still, you have one problem: the Ideal Timeline. No idea what happened here, though presumeably Lynx was never created and the Orphanage was never burnt to the ground, so in essence the entire point is moot.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2007, 12:33:31 pm »
But keep in mind that the Masa and Mune supplied the power, not the means. Kid's incomplete Time Egg is what allowed actual time travel.

Kyronea

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2007, 06:27:07 pm »
Ah, yes, let's definitely not forget that crucial piece of information...as I so often do...

Joe000

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2007, 10:01:00 pm »
I guess that's true; it doesn't matter because of the Ideal Timeline.  But throughout the game, shouldn't there have been a hint that Kid realizes it was Serge the one who saved her?  Just like Serge remembered (I'm thinking of the one FMV where Kid is on the beach, turns around, and offers her hand to someone, as I think the whole thing is supposed to be Serge's memory) when he was saved by Kid?  Not that it would be a major point or something, it would just add another level to their relationship.

Kyronea

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2007, 10:24:39 pm »
No, there wouldn't be, because until he went back and saved her, he didn't save her...she got out on her own. Thus she wouldn't remember that he saved hre because he didn't save her until he did.

Joe000

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2007, 04:01:35 am »
That's from Serge's (and the player's) point of view; you see how it came about that Kid was saved from the orphange burning.  But from Kid's point of view, that's how the event happened.  It couldn't have happened any other way because Serge went back and changed the timeline.  Unless you are saying that change in the timeline made another possible world come into existence, so now there is a timeline where Kid gets out of the orphanage of her own accord, and one where Serge saves her.

Kyronea

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2007, 04:17:18 am »
Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying. Of course, we do have to take into account that the Kid in this situation never time traveled--unless we consider the Pendant reversing her injury from Lynx as time travel--and thus would not have Time Traveler's Immunity and thus WOULD remember Serge saving her, but only after the event of going back. Once that happened, the timeline where she escaped on her own is discarded to the Darkness Beyond Time and the new timeline is put into place.

The key is whether she has Time Traveler's Immunity or not...if she does, then she will still remember things as they occurred in the previous timeline, but if she doesn't, then she will now remember Serge saving her, though it's possible she might not recognize Serge down the road when she saves him from Karsh, Solt, and Peppor, giving the time that had passed since she was saved.

Magus22

• Bounty Hunter
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Jean-Luc Picard says "It's time for Chrono Break".
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2007, 02:43:42 pm »
Sorry I just have to say this...

the whole traveling back in time to Lucca's house from CT, speaking with Gato as he "dies", saving the children and walking around Lucca's house to save Kid, seeing the glasses on the floor after Harle and Lynx left... is just such a powerful moment/scene in the game. Everytime I play it, not only does it send chills down my spine, but I expect Crono to barge in from somewhere shouting "Kid!, Lucca!!".

Joe000

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2007, 04:33:14 am »
I agree, it is such a great scene.  Of course, the music as Serge and Kid are outside the orphanage, "Star Stealing Girl", is what really makes it go.  Beautiful song.

justin3009

• Fan Project Leader
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2007, 09:03:59 pm »
Agreed...That scene gave me the shivers but also made me feel sad when Kid was like "Please don't leave me!!'  :(  It's really hard to believe that all of this happened after CT.  It just seems really weird. xd