Author Topic: Chrono Trigger + demo test (dead)  (Read 6628 times)

Zakyrus

• Entity
  • Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • "Bouncy, bouncy, bouncy... --!!"
    • View Profile
Re: Chrono Trigger + beta test
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2007, 12:06:02 am »
Yeah, I don't want to make them insanely long, but I do want to make them so that if you train you OWN through everything like a hot *vorpal knife though butter.

* In case you would like to know "vorpal" means infinite sharpness, like an atom edge blade that can never be dulled or broken.

Anyways,  in most cases the enemies have a scaled amount of HP depending on a certain ratio of level & the amount of distance between where you are and the end of the game. I'll try not to go crazy on stats like attack values (some parts may have been scaled to sharply, I'll balance this better.)

Kyronea

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2007, 10:04:12 am »
Aye...now that I think about it, it was a combination of the speed of battles I was used to and impatiance that made the battles seemed longer than they really were. As they stand now they could use a bit of tweaking but length wise they're definitely not bad.

The key here is trying to balance the boss battles a bit better. I found Heckran almost woefully easy compared to the other monsters in the cave, and Yakra needs to be slightly less difficult due to the sheer difficulty of healing at that point. The Guardian was almost spot on...perhaps make the counterattacks slightly more powerful along with the regular laser shots slightly more powerful. As for the R Series...they were a piece of cake, barely better than their old versions, really. A bit of an increase in attack and/or speed of the R Series would do well here.

Zakyrus

• Entity
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2007, 01:42:58 pm »
I have some terrible news. Due to the fact that TF caused corruption in the ROM by changing too much stuff, I have to make the "The Hero Appears" through "Magus Castle" chapters into a seperate ROM patch for now. It will take some time to make the adjustment. I will scale the monsters and add a few other things, such as some uber equipment hidden somewhere.

We will have to wait for Geiger to fix the expanding space bug in TF before we can put everything into one ROM.

Kyronea

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2007, 04:43:20 pm »
Okay...that's fine with me. Too bad about the bug, though...hopefully it'll be fixed soon.

Zakyrus

• Entity
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2007, 05:00:34 am »
Alrighty. I rebalanced the monster stats for the chapters between Tata and Magus's Castle. Now I need to import all the modified areas, I should be able to release this by tomorrow night. Though most of the new text is added, some of the areas won't be completely finished (Zenan Bridge after Zombor and Inside Magus's Castle are a few of them) though, it will be much more complete than the first beta. (Also, keep in mind that beginning areas up to and including Heckran Caves won't be enhanced) With the exception of the Millennial Fair, Crono's House, End of Time, and a few other beginning areas.

Kyronea

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2007, 05:04:15 am »
Gotcha. Out of curiosity, could I try applying this to my copy of the ROM I applied the first beta patch to, or would trying to do that result in some sort of corruption of the ROM? I ask only because I'd like to start by going direct from where I left off if at all possible. I know you intend to add in some uber equipment so I can go faster but it's still a question worth asking.

Zakyrus

• Entity
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2007, 05:17:59 am »
I would recommend getting a fresh copy and patching it. Then rename the ROM or rename the save file to match the new ROM. I can't make any guarantees on patching over the beginning chapters beta. I will stash uber equipment in Crono's refrigerator. Also, bookshelves and cabinets all over the world will have treasures hidden in them! Search everywhere! (I wanted to add this for a very long time -- seachable cabinets/bookshelves/even pots laying around in the Millennial Fair!)

Kyronea

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2007, 05:20:16 am »
Ah, yes, of course...that probably would be the best option.

Well, in that case, we shall see how it turns out, ne? Nice idea on the searchable cabinents/fridges/other stuff...I always wished stuff like that was searchable in more games.

Zakyrus

• Entity
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 05, 2007, 05:24:05 am »
I think I can add like 200 treasure chests. It would be great to fill zeal bookshelves with all kinds of hidden items.

Kyronea

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 05, 2007, 05:28:11 am »
Let's not let ourselves get too carried away with adding extra items all over the place, though...too many and we wreck the balance of the game.

What would most of these hidden items be, anyway? Gems? Herbs? Healing items?

Zakyrus

• Entity
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 05, 2007, 05:35:05 am »
For the vast majority it would be small amounts of money liek 50, 100, 200 G. Or Tonic and Ethers. Some cases rarer items like gems or a few herbs. (only on bookshelves in secret rooms though)

Kyronea

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 05, 2007, 05:37:16 am »
Oh, well in that case it sounds fine to me. It'd actually be a bit of a boon early on when money tends to be strained, as it no doubt would be in this refined edition thanks to overall more powerful monsters.

Oh, while we're at it...though I love it, can we remove the permenant free shelter resource from Guardia Forest? It unbalances things a bit, methinks.

Zakyrus

• Entity
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 05, 2007, 05:42:13 am »
Consider that done.
Though later on, when the forest has less mosnters, I will have many random squirrels that run away from you when you get close. Useless, but cool effect. I may remap the forest so that it's larger, but that's well down the todo list.

Kyronea

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 05, 2007, 05:44:15 am »
Aye. I did love the way it was a squirril running out of the bush instead of a Kilawa...Kiwala...whatever that thing was. Random squirrils would be a nice extra effect.

Zakyrus

• Entity
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 05, 2007, 11:44:02 pm »
Yeah, the Kilwala didn't make sense, seeing as it's a prehistoric creature. As for how one or a few stayed evolved for Denadoro Mts is beyond me.

I am about 60% with the importing, I should be done sometime later tonight.