Author Topic: .... Aw goddamit square.  (Read 4383 times)

grey_the_angel

• Alternate Primary Member
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • CC:ALSAT project leader/sole member >.>
    • View Profile
.... Aw goddamit square.
« on: March 09, 2007, 05:04:42 am »

... >.<

Glennleo

• Chrono Trigger + Crew
  • Temporal Warrior (+900)
  • Glenn - The true Hero and weilder of the Masamune.
    • View Profile
Re: .... Aw goddamit square.
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2007, 08:54:24 am »
Zack was actually one of my favorite characters that you never got to play, but come on Square Enix!!!

We are SICK of FFVII spin off games!!! Make a new CHRONO GAME GOD DAMMMNIT!!!!

saridon

• Mystical Knight (+700)
  • eater of cows and small fuzzy animals since 1991
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2007, 10:09:28 am »
Zack was actually one of my favorite characters that you never got to play, but come on Square Enix!!!

FF VII had a good story, while they did screw up some of the later sequals, i see no reason to bitch about getting a prequal, its the last sequal/prequal they're bringing out anyway.

they'll make a new chrono game when they make a new chrono game, deal with it.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2007, 10:45:43 am »
Sephiroth = win. As long as they atone for Dirge of Crappus, I'm game.

Kyronea

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2007, 12:17:09 pm »
Sephiroth was a two-bit one-dimensional character that pined away for his mommy like a kid who never got past the age of three. (Not that there's anything wrong with maintaining a good relationship with one's mother, as I should know, but there's a difference between being close to your mother and expecting her to be the mommy she was when you were a little kid all the time.) He's disgusting, awful, and should never have been involved in any game other than Final Fantasy VII. I'm sick of seeing him and any other Final Fantasy VII character everywhere I go. Hell, they even took time out of the neatest part of Kingdom Hearts II, the war in Hollow Bastion, just to give Cloud and Sephiroth a scene vaguely like Advent Children or something. I hate him. He never should have been made! Argh!

That said, we all know why Square is continuing to press the FFVII stuff: money. They are, after all, a corporation first and foremost and what they do, they do to make money. Hopefully the possible Virtual Console/GBA/DS port of Chrono Trigger will show them that there is money in the Chrono series yet. I know I'd definitely prefer a new Chrono game to another Final Fantasy VII rip-off.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2007, 12:18:51 pm by Kyronea »

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2007, 12:51:42 pm »
This is the last one. After all the Compilation of FF7, Square Enix will be flush with production capital, and thank goodness, since their main platform (the PS3) is poised to sink like a rock. So good on Square for having tons of cash; now, let's see them put it to use for Chrono.

I suppose I'll post my admiration of certain qualities of Sephiroth here:

At any rate, anger can be good and productive. I prefer to get angry these days rather than melancholy, as it can be raw fuel to whatever activity I'm engaged in, and also inspires me to take corrective action (or come to terms) with whatever is bothering me rather than letting it depress me into the ground. And Sephiroth is the ultimate personification. There is power and beauty in Sephiroth. His visage never shows the sign of defeat or depression -- it shows fierce will and desire soon to be unleashed. It is the darker side of living a life of no regrets and the passion of youth. Your will should be dauntless and unending when engaged in constructive, positive pursuits -- and so too shall it be unyielding and undying in the face of tribulation. Sephiroth is the prelude to restitution, the profound portrait of anger, hatred, desire, and wild will combined into one irresistible force. There is no dilution of his mind or desire; it remains unequivocally focused until finally actualized. To be Sephiroth is to seek your dreams at maximum.

« Last Edit: March 09, 2007, 12:53:28 pm by ZeaLitY »

Kyronea

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2007, 12:54:45 pm »
Well...alright, I suppose you do have a point there, in terms of production capital. I've just never been a fan of Final Fantasy VII...I hated it when it first came out and I've never liked it no matter how many times I've tried to replay it and enjoy it. It always struck me as poor storytelling, poor characterization of the cast, and an extremely poor musical score, though admittedly that's not Uematsu's fault since he only had six months to do the score for the game.

In any case, I suppose we simply have different opinions of Sephiroth. My apologies if I was a bit too harsh with my opinion there...I need to cut down on my ranting in the morning.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2007, 01:07:07 pm »
Nah, my post wasn't out of defense, or anything. Sephiroth is still evil and cruel; I've only selected certain qualities to admire. It's not...utter fanboyism, I guess, largely the same way that we're not utter Chrono series fanboys. There's a reason to our rhyme.

Kyronea

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2007, 01:15:57 pm »
In other words, you're able to separate your perception of Sephiroth from the rest of everything and admire the qualities he shows for what they are. Fair enough, I suppose. I simply am unable to separate my distaste for Final Fantasy VII and do likewise, which is my loss.

Chrono'99

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2007, 02:08:58 pm »
its the last sequal/prequal they're bringing out anyway.

Are they? I recall reading that they said the Compilation would go on until FFVII's 20th anniversary (2017!). Also, there's this mysterious guy, Genesis (Sephiroth's predecessor)... He's supposed to be a bad guy but he's still alive after DC. Since CC takes place before AC and DC, he will probably not be killed in it. So in the end, it seems he's the only menace and unresolved issue left after DC.

Hadriel

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2007, 08:24:29 pm »
Yeah.  For those not in the know, Genesis is played by J-pop star Gackt, formerly of Malice Mizer, in a further attempt to sell out.

They should just make a cereal named MateriOs and be done with it.

saridon

• Mystical Knight (+700)
  • eater of cows and small fuzzy animals since 1991
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2007, 01:09:42 am »
its the last sequal/prequal they're bringing out anyway.

Are they? I recall reading that they said the Compilation would go on until FFVII's 20th anniversary (2017!). Also, there's this mysterious guy, Genesis (Sephiroth's predecessor)... He's supposed to be a bad guy but he's still alive after DC. Since CC takes place before AC and DC, he will probably not be killed in it. So in the end, it seems he's the only menace and unresolved issue left after DC.

there was i list on the japanese site i think it was somewhere that had a list of them all, they could always end doing more though

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2007, 02:00:38 pm »
Sephiroth was a two-bit one-dimensional character that pined away for his mommy like a kid who never got past the age of three.

My thoughts exactly. The motive behind all his actions, no matter how grand in scope or perfect in execution, is a cry for attention. You think Cloud is angsty? Sephiroth is willing to destroy the planet just so mommy will pay more attention to him. Some super villain he turned out to be.

Glennleo

• Chrono Trigger + Crew
  • Temporal Warrior (+900)
  • Glenn - The true Hero and weilder of the Masamune.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2007, 02:17:51 pm »

FF VII had a good story, while they did screw up some of the later sequals, i see no reason to bitch about getting a prequal, its the last sequal/prequal they're bringing out anyway.

they'll make a new chrono game when they make a new chrono game, deal with it.

I think I speak for most of the Compendium when I say that we would much rather have a new Chrono game then another game related to FFVII.

But that's just me. I just feel it's been done to death. And that post was supposed to be over-dramatic for humor reasons. I honestly don't care that a new FFVII game is coming out, but I wish, and I know it won't happen, SE would stop milking the cash cow and start making some quality games.

Didn't know the Compendium loved FFVII so much. Sheesh.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2007, 02:45:46 pm »
FFVII was a quality game, but Dirge of Cerberus and the other stuff is in question. I can't blame Square for giving the idea a try; I mean, the idea of going back and expanding on these worlds is awesome. Who wouldn't want an FF6 or an FF4 expansion pack? We've already gotten some good remakes. The idea of turning back and starting to care about fictional series and their fans is an attractive one, but Square just seems to have overblown it with FF7 and handled it wrong. All the awesome people who helped FFVII are no longer with the company, and Nomura wasn't in his just...excessive bishie zipper belt phase yet. So of course, the quality of the output now is going to be reduced. But as Chrono'99 used to be post, it could be a positive trend. A lot of old franchises have been given renewed attention (Kato can attest with World of Mana). They just need to hit Chrono, for goodness's sake.

Well, I take that back. Kato did write the Cloud-Mako-poisining section of FFVII (probably why there's a "Zenogais" (Xenogears) references in there), but he's not helping Compilation of FFVII. So yeah, most of the original framers are gone.