Author Topic: Radio Stations on Teh INTARTOOBZ: What's your pleasure?  (Read 1203 times)

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
Radio Stations on Teh INTARTOOBZ: What's your pleasure?
« on: March 04, 2007, 02:01:18 am »
One of my little pleasures in life is to listen to Céilí na Céadaoine, the weekly Irish music radio show broadcasted out of Radio Telefís Éireann (RTÉ). It’s an hour of Irish bliss; and each time I never quite know what I’ll get.

RTÉ puts the latest edition of its show up on its website, free to download and enjoy in full, without commercial interruption as we know it. Now, be aware that it’s in Irish, so if you listen you’re not likely to understand much of it—with exceptions like “saxophone,” for which there is no word in Irish. But frankly the foreignness of the language adds to the charm…and the music itself speaks in a tongue I understand very well.

So go listen to it already! And be sure to talk about your own Internet radio pleasures, for which this thread is purposed.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
Re: Radio Stations on Teh INTARTOOBZ: What's your pleasure?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2007, 03:02:12 am »
http://www.club977.com/

That's Club977, 80s central. They play generally chart-toppers with some decent alternative hits sneaking in time to time, like Peter Gabriel's "Shock the Monkey" (which wasn't a top ten). Unfortunately, the station is prone to playing some awful late, late 80s or early 90s, like Siouxie and the Banshees or Martika. I've sworn off most of the late late 80s music, accepting Prince's 1989 Batman soundtrack as the last gasp of breath the 80s offered in terms of smashing pop rock. Things like Fine Young Cannibal's "She Drives Me Crazy" should be placed only on 90s stations.

Still, 95% is decent 80s fare. I can't say I download more than a small fraction of what they play for keeps, but I can generally rely on them to take me back. I do wish they'd focus on the early / mid 80s more, though. That's when the real innovators were churning out quality material and the synthpop sound hadn't been commercialized into trash yet. I listen to the station primarily while playing Unreal Tournament, so my 80s music affinity is heightened further by sensory memories of the extra endorphinage I get from the game.

So GET OUTTA MY DREAMS, GET INTO MY CAR! Walk Like an Egyptian, Turn Japanese, and Everybody Wang Chung Tonight. The party is ON.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2007, 03:06:37 am by ZeaLitY »

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2007, 03:48:01 pm »
http://www.pandora.com

I have a couple stations up there that I listen to while I'm at work. It plays...well, whatever you want, basically.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2007, 06:48:21 pm »
It would seem the three of us are the only cool cats on this Compendium.

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2007, 07:22:36 am »

Wow, I feel insulted.

I don't listen to any radio stations, sadly enough... Although I'm surprised you've heard of RTE. It's a local TV channel of mine, actually.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2007, 03:19:55 am »

Wow, I feel insulted.

I don't listen to any radio stations, sadly enough... Although I'm surprised you've heard of RTE. It's a local TV channel of mine, actually.

It's always good to know the big media names of all the countries that pique one's interest. What part of Ireland do you live in? And, if I may ask a personal question, what's your family's history in the tempestuous story that is Ireland? Were you Catholic? Do you have roots in the original IRA, or an Ulster loyalist perhaps were ye? Ireland happens to be a source of great fascination for me. I may as well tap your brain to satisfy my curiosities even in some small part.

justin3009

• Fan Project Leader
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2007, 08:03:16 am »
I feel insulted as well...I rarely ever listen to the radio where I live.  Almost every good station that I used to listen to is just Rap now.  Some others were converted to Country...I kinda forgot what they are over time. =/

Glennleo

• Chrono Trigger + Crew
  • Temporal Warrior (+900)
  • Glenn - The true Hero and weilder of the Masamune.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2007, 10:42:32 am »
No satelite radio here. I just mainly listen to a local alternative station close to where I live. I do like the 80's though so I may have to check that station out.

88.9 The Alternation!

Lu Su

• Guardian (+100)
  • Im an EVIL
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2007, 04:58:33 pm »

Wow, I feel insulted.

It's always good to know the big media names of all the countries that pique one's interest. What part of Ireland do you live in? And, if I may ask a personal question, what's your family's history in the tempestuous story that is Ireland? Were you Catholic? Do you have roots in the original IRA, or an Ulster loyalist perhaps were ye? Ireland happens to be a source of great fascination for me. I may as well tap your brain to satisfy my curiosities even in some small part.

Pyt Fumv is from the north like me don't know of his families history
i on the other hand am Catholic i'm an O' Donnell so have some relation to Red Hugh the clan is/was split 30/70 as far as the IRA is concerned most of us didn't want to fight another with the british, i have yet to met a loyalist O'Donnell

i myself like all things folk and irish as far as music is concerned, but i'll listen to any thing on another TV chanell there is an hour of traditional music on a friday night

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2007, 06:22:36 pm »

Wow, I feel insulted.

The North, in a very ugly place where no-one has heard of the Chrono series (Gasp). To be honest, I know basically nothing about my family history, and as far as I know, we had no well-respected family members. Half of my family was Catholic, the others being Protestant. I really can't stand any arguments revolving around that sort of thing, though; although I'm a born Catholic, I'm an atheist now, just like my father and sister. I don't think I have any roots in the original IRA or anything. I've always assumed up to now that my family was the run-of-the-mill working kind without any unique life or ties in organizations, but now that you've mentioned it, maybe I should look at the history...

Any other questions you may have, I'll be happy to answer to the best of my abilities.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2007, 02:58:54 am »
It's a case, I'm afraid, of not knowing what to ask.

"Tell me what you know that I do not," implored the wise man. I take a vivid interest in Irish history and modern politics, but if I knew enough to ask a specific question of you, I wouldn't need to ask it! =P

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2007, 01:55:27 am »
A few days ago, the RIAA and CRB enacted incredible (and retroactive!) rate hikes that will probably drive scores of small webcasts out of the business.

http://www.savenetradio.org/

So listen to popular radio while you can. There's a biblical verse that prophesied this.

"Choose for yourselves this day whom you will be. But as for me and my house, we will be..."

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2007, 05:58:16 am »

XcyrusX

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
    • myspace.com/nathan98023
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2007, 11:13:03 pm »
Hmm i don't  listen to specific radio station per say but i do listen to this radio show somtimes called Coast to Coast Am its pretty cool they talk bout time travel, ghost, ect.