Author Topic: Crazy Ideas Thread (outdated)  (Read 29699 times)

Kyronea

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
Re: Crazy Ideas Thread
« Reply #300 on: April 29, 2007, 05:46:52 am »
Well, don't stress yourself too much over minigames...after all, they are just minigames, and as such aren't all THAT important.

Zakyrus

• Entity
  • Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • "Bouncy, bouncy, bouncy... --!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: April 29, 2007, 05:51:56 am »
Doesn't matter at this point. Most of the space in the Millennial Fair will have something. (most of it will be added in the final)
Though, the expanded space in Gato's Exhibit will be a mystery. I will probably have some kind of merchant in the tent there...

The item shop in the Fair upgrades over time (after certain points) eventually sells the same stuff as the Nu in the Black Omen (on New Game +)

The armour shop will be *something* else later.

Damn. Gotta go to work.  :x
Tommarow night I am going to try to get the rest of the cutscenes added (still need to do all the animations *ack!*)

Zakyrus

• Entity
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: June 15, 2007, 09:07:04 am »
Blah. My brain is still mush. I haven't even looked at the ROM or anything until now. (most of my posts where of my telling Azuraus over the phone what to type the day this was released :x )

So, I'm just going to sit back and wait until all the nasty little bugs roll in.
Basically I'm just going to fix the major ones that affect main story gameplay. Crap like the Hunting Range crash does not even matter the least right now. As for Cursed Woods bugs? They don't matter because the entire map is being replaced when I get the damn thing working. (Hopefully with the Frog King stuff)

This DEMO was really only meant to be like putting a molecule of blood in a tank of pirhanas and make everyone want lots more. I hope it works - in spite of all the damn bugs, but those are inevitable in any project.

Kyronea

• View Profile
« Reply #303 on: June 15, 2007, 09:11:11 am »
Good idea. I just hope we don't end up leaving them waiting for more for too long. One piranha in particular--that tripleh guy--seemed to be getting rather pissy about how limited the demo was.

But that's irrelevant. Right now, all you need to concentrate on is letting the bugs flow in, then correcting the ones that harm gameplay and start integrating more of the rewritten dialogue, animations, and whatnot. For the sake of convinience, I suggest we limit the next demo up to the same point we've got the current one limited to, only with more content. Makes more sense to set a boundry then use the demos to fill in everything rather than just expanding the boundry.

Oh, and as for that DancerGlenn guy? If he can create a couple little short pieces to demonstrate his work and they're decent enough, I say we hire him for some original music. That way we can stop ripping off other games, and what better way to enhance Chrono Trigger than to create brand new music?

Zakyrus

• Entity
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: June 19, 2007, 03:24:46 pm »
Good idea. I just hope we don't end up leaving them waiting for more for too long. One piranha in particular--that tripleh guy--seemed to be getting rather pissy about how limited the demo was.

But that's irrelevant. Right now, all you need to concentrate on is letting the bugs flow in, then correcting the ones that harm gameplay and start integrating more of the rewritten dialogue, animations, and whatnot. For the sake of convinience, I suggest we limit the next demo up to the same point we've got the current one limited to, only with more content. Makes more sense to set a boundry then use the demos to fill in everything rather than just expanding the boundry.

Oh, and as for that DancerGlenn guy? If he can create a couple little short pieces to demonstrate his work and they're decent enough, I say we hire him for some original music. That way we can stop ripping off other games, and what better way to enhance Chrono Trigger than to create brand new music?

Yes, on idea 1.
DancerGlenn? See what he has.

(Also, I may not be on very much, I have no internet right now  so in the next few weeks I may be "transient". I will have my own internet after that period.)

EDIT:
I am glad now I was able to release atleast *something*. Otherwise, everyone would hate my so much by now.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2007, 03:27:17 pm by Zakyrus »

Kyronea

• View Profile
« Reply #305 on: June 19, 2007, 03:29:37 pm »
Yes, on idea 1.
DancerGlenn? See what he has.
I'll do so.
(Also, I may not be on very much, I have no internet right now  so in the next few weeks I may be "transient". I will have my own internet after that period.)
Might want to warn our fanbase.

Our fanbase...now there's a term I never thought I'd use...
EDIT:
I am glad now I was able to release atleast *something*. Otherwise, everyone would hate my so much by now.
Aye.

Zakyrus

• Entity
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: June 19, 2007, 03:34:44 pm »
Already, posted in TF Exports thread.

Oh yeah, you may notice a few "new" scenes like the Magus/Ozzie part after Glenn is cursed, Magus Casle Entrance/Interior, if you like go ahead and alter these a bit. (the I really like the way I worded the stuff on in the Glenn/Cursed part)

Kyronea

• View Profile
« Reply #307 on: June 19, 2007, 03:42:36 pm »

Oh yeah, you may notice a few "new" scenes like the Magus/Ozzie part after Glenn is cursed, Magus Casle Entrance/Interior, if you like go ahead and alter these a bit. (the I really like the way I worded the stuff on in the Glenn/Cursed part)
I'll certainly do so, when I'm able to think straight. I've got a rather nasty head cold that is being exasperated by pine pollen flaring up my allergies. I'm able to discuss minor issues but evaluating something like that is a whole different story.

So hopefully by tomorrow I'll have them looked over and/or revised. (If revised, they'll be tossed in the Lost Cutscenes thread.)

Zakyrus

• Entity
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: June 19, 2007, 04:01:02 pm »
Gotcha. No hurries on this stuff, but if we do a more "expanded" demo, this would be cool to have.

Oh yes, I was thinking HEAVILY about this.... but won't even bother if you have anything to say of it:

How bout we DO use 2 ROMS and make the first DEMO "really fuckin' huge". Areas could be twice the size, then I could go about my dream of making the Organs in the Cathedreal require sheet music (and a musical button password).... A HA HA HA HA!!!!!

I was avidly against this(because I don't want to spend aeons making maps), but if we found some really good mappers (they have to be GOOD - I'm extremely picky who I let do this if I am not doing it myself)....  Seeing as I see people starting to "come out of the woodwork" and suggest stuff, maybe some of these people would like to help?
(OF COURSE, I woudn't dream of this until I get my internet back - can't manage a project with a group if I'm not around much right?) I do think this would be cool. I would not mind doing all the coding for this stuff, it would guarentee that we won't get ROM corruption from too much space used (before Gieger fixes that problem in TF, whatever era that may be in) ...but like I said, if we can get someone (or two people) that are really good at mapping, then I'm all for this.... we just have to come up with reasons why any dungeons are no longer there (the Cathedral gets torn down or something - though this does kill replayablity in a few places. But the Cathedral was worthless anyway.)

Other places could be: (obviously the towns I want to add, and they would be BIG - not Xenogears big, but enough to make them a "full sized" town), Guardia Forest(s) could have many side areas, Reptite's Lair for sure (could "cave-in" or something), and maybe a few others... we just have to make some reason why it can't be entered again.

EDIT: oh yes, healing qi is sent to whereever you are in the universe.  8)
« Last Edit: June 19, 2007, 04:04:35 pm by Zakyrus »

Kyronea

• View Profile
« Reply #309 on: June 20, 2007, 02:53:05 pm »
Gotcha. No hurries on this stuff, but if we do a more "expanded" demo, this would be cool to have.
Ayeaye. It will be done today, probably, as my head cold has cleared up sufficiently.
Oh yes, I was thinking HEAVILY about this.... but won't even bother if you have anything to say of it:
Okies.
How bout we DO use 2 ROMS and make the first DEMO "really fuckin' huge". Areas could be twice the size, then I could go about my dream of making the Organs in the Cathedreal require sheet music (and a musical button password).... A HA HA HA HA!!!!!

I was avidly against this(because I don't want to spend aeons making maps), but if we found some really good mappers (they have to be GOOD - I'm extremely picky who I let do this if I am not doing it myself)....  Seeing as I see people starting to "come out of the woodwork" and suggest stuff, maybe some of these people would like to help?
(OF COURSE, I woudn't dream of this until I get my internet back - can't manage a project with a group if I'm not around much right?) I do think this would be cool. I would not mind doing all the coding for this stuff, it would guarentee that we won't get ROM corruption from too much space used (before Gieger fixes that problem in TF, whatever era that may be in) ...but like I said, if we can get someone (or two people) that are really good at mapping, then I'm all for this.... we just have to come up with reasons why any dungeons are no longer there (the Cathedral gets torn down or something - though this does kill replayablity in a few places. But the Cathedral was worthless anyway.)
Sorry, but the same reasons I had to be against this before still apply: it would be far too complicated. So much stuff would be cut from one to the other, and doing New Game +'s would be an extreme hassle. One ROM is the way to go. The only time where it might make sense is if we're doing a Chrono Trigger style Chrono Cross and that's not going to happen since it'd be pretty pointless. I know, the idea sounds good, but it's too ambitious right now. Let's concentrate on what we do have and set our standards at something more reacheable for the moment. That way we get more stuff done.

Kyronea

• View Profile
« Reply #310 on: June 20, 2007, 03:43:36 pm »

You know, it just occurred to me to simply ask you what the additions are, if you have them written down, rather than play through the entire rest of the ROM again.

Zakyrus

• Entity
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: June 23, 2007, 02:38:02 pm »
Gotcha on the single ROM (though it's actually going to take "longer" trying to compress everything and make sure it doesn't glitch anywhere) ...well, maybe it would still take that same amount of time (maps take a long time).

..a list? I had one somewhere, in the beginning. I made so many changes I would have to play through a few times just to remember what they all are.  :x
Only a uber CT guru will notice all of them on the first playthrough.

Kyronea

• View Profile
« Reply #312 on: June 23, 2007, 02:42:08 pm »

Well, in that case, I'm sure the additions to those scenes you mentioned are fine, as I just looked them over finally through playing through. Obviously we'll change them if those who have been feedbacking feel they should be changed, but for now they're okay.

Glennleo

• Chrono Trigger + Crew
  • Temporal Warrior (+900)
  • Glenn - The true Hero and weilder of the Masamune.
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: July 01, 2007, 02:03:43 am »
Phew!

21 pages down. Feels good to be caught up in this topic.

Only Dialog and Commentary to go!  :shock: That won't take me forever lol.

I basically agreed with everything you guys talked about. All the ideas sound great. I only really wanted to address 3 things.

1. As far as the ferry goes. We either A) Remove it from the game entirely. B) Keep it how it is. or C) Add a ridable ferry where you can move around on the boat, fish, buy items, etc... 
I'd love for option C, but I think it'd be a waste of a location, and I'd rather have the space for new areas and not a boat. But if it could be done, and not at the expense of a new area with enemies etc..., I'm all for it. Otherwise I choose option A.

2. As far as long dungeons go, this was probably a very early post, you guys probably forget even mentioning it, I am all for them. I know CT fans like the smaller dungeons, and what not, but a long dungeon can easily be implemented and still have that small dungeon feel. All that you need to do is put a little rest area halfway through a very long dungeon. In essence it would be like having 2 small dungeons right after each other. 
All you need is a save point, and HP/MP heal spot(this depends on dungeon difficulty or if you want them to use shelters), and like an item NPC or something like that. This is used in a ton of games, so I don't see why we couldn't do it as well. It gives players a long dungeon, for those who want it, and also gives smaller dungeon players a chance to take a break from a long dungeon if they want.

3. You guys talked about adding character sprites at the end of the demo to tell the player when the demo ends and the reg game begins. I think that is a great idea. Kyronea said it would be a tough decision to pick a character for me. Even though it's the internet I did pick up on that slight bit of sarcasm.  :lol:
Obviously I want mine to be human Glenn, that would be amazing.

Anyways, that's all for now. I'm still thinking of crazy ideas, and planning out a new tech for Frog in my head. I also have this idea for making new final techs for all of the characters. Like during each characters new side quest, besides armor or w/e new items you may gain from them, somehow implement the opportunity to learn a new final tech form them. They could be hidden somehow in each new area or something to make them a little harder to get. I'm kinda going with the idea from FFVII, where you needed to gain your 4th limit break somehow, you just couldn't get it normally like the others. Eh, just an idea I thought would be cool.

Glad to finally be contributing a little bit to this awesome project. Expect some more posts from me, in this topic as well as the script topic. I am finally ready to devote myself to this great undertaking. Here's to a great summer!

Zakyrus

• Entity
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: July 05, 2007, 05:37:51 pm »
Hello, I'm still alive. Haven't been near internet for awhile. I'll post some screenshots of some newer stuff within a few days. (probably by this weekend) Laterz.