Author Topic: Crazy Ideas Thread (outdated)  (Read 29068 times)

Kyronea

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
Re: Crazy Ideas Thread
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2007, 02:16:40 am »
Perhaps it can be a former Guru that he learns his secrets from when he was not a Guru himself.

As for where it is on the map...there's an area in the northwest part of the map where there's a couple little spots of white, like the tips of underwater mountains...that's where Guardia Castle is in 1000 A.D, according to the maps:
http://www.chronocompendium.com/images/wiki/0/02/Present.png
http://www.chronocompendium.com/images/wiki/0/00/Dark_Ages_%28After_Zeal%29.png

So a wee bit above those spots of white is where this new Golem cave should be.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2007, 02:21:43 am by Kyronea »

Zakyrus

• Entity
  • Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • "Bouncy, bouncy, bouncy... --!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2007, 02:21:04 am »
Yeah, if you look on the 12K BC map, there was a mountain in that spot that was never used. What I would do is make it so after a certain amount of time (or events) take place, the water would recede slightly and this mountain would be enter-able

As for Melchior, that works but in that case I'd like to have a flashback of him forging the Ruby Knife and the birth of Masa Mune? (maybe a small conversation in this flashback aswell? (As for his master, there IS a sprite of Melchior wearing black)
« Last Edit: February 28, 2007, 02:24:14 am by Zakyrus »

Kyronea

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2007, 02:25:05 am »
That should work. The waters would begin to recede after only a few days anyway, rather than remaining for months and years.

I like the idea of a flashback of him forging the Ruby Knife and the birth of Masa and Mune, perhaps instead of that smithing flashback, if only because it makes more sense and I worry a bit about creating flashbacks to stuff that mention Zeal anyway, since the idea is to avoid spoiling who Melchior is until you meet him on Mount Woe. Sure, most everyone who plays this will know who he is anyway, but it should be done to preserve the way the story is presented. (But if we can do a flashback involving the master teaching Melchior without mentioning Zeal in it, that should work.)(

That reminds me, I need to remove that reference to Melchior from Masa and Mune in Zeal Palace when I get to that point...

Oh, if we have space, can we see if we can give the Cathedral a couple small rooms to the left and right of the main chapel, just to make it look more like a real Cathedral would? Say a small library for one room, and the other to be, say, the nuns living quarters.

Zakyrus

• Entity
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2007, 02:32:15 am »
Perfect. Though, I still have to figure some kind of story with the Golems.

As for the Cathedral, yeah, that should be possible. Most of the new areas (yeah there ARE alot) but I am using 40x40 maps for those, so I can squeeze in as many locations as possible. I removed to Lavos Attack Modes like I mentioned before, and I will be able to combine all the Sun Keeps into one location to preserve space. This will free up 9 Lavos attack mode locations --the one's that flash on the screen for one second before fighting each Lavos Mode took up an entire location  :x

This will also free up 5 of the Sun Keeps, because I can use "previous location" checking to determind what events will load and what timeline the ext (which will now be object coded) takes you.

Kyronea

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2007, 02:36:09 am »
Okay, good.

We won't have a problem with all the extra text, will we? It should be easy enough to expand the ROM to encompass the extra text, I would think.

Also, if we're going to access Denadoro in 1000 A.D., we're going to need to alter the Fiona's Forest version of the world map a bit:
http://www.chronocompendium.com/images/wiki/b/bd/Present_%28Forest%29.png

Note how the forest just ever so slightly obscurs where the entrance would be. Might be a little difficult to get there. I'll go ahead and test it out real quick in ZSNES, though, to see if it's actually a problem or not.

Kyronea

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2007, 02:41:38 am »
Okay, nevermind. (Damn Black Omen taking me too long to get out of...) The Forest isn't in the way like I thought it was, so no problem for Denadoro.

Speaking of that, have you had any ideas for the Crono backstory bit there?

Oh, and speaking of Crono, I'm also wondering if we can't alter the textual limit for names to be six characters, so we can rename Crono Chrono, because that looks nicer.

Zakyrus

• Entity
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2007, 02:43:32 am »
As for text, we will see how much we can fit it. (Gieger plans to update TF to use 8 meg ROM sometime in the distant future -- when ZSNES and SNES9X get off their butt and add 8meg capabilty)

Shouldn't pose a problem to for the Denadoro. I may have the part of Zenan Bridge destroyed by an earthquake and the Ferry to Porre "unaivalable" at the beginning. If we have enough space for Fiona's Forest, I'd like to change it so you have to go through it to get to the Denadoro.

6 lines of for PCs names could be hard to code, but should be possible later on (when I start working with hex)

Kyronea

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2007, 02:53:20 am »
Okay, I really hope we don't run into textual problems. The last thing I'd want to do is have to go through everything all over again and cut it down like Ted Woolsey had to do for the original translation, since half the point to Chrono Trigger + is the enhancements and all that.

Rather than destroy Zenan Bridge and have the ferry unavailable, perhaps we should just have an NPC or two blocking the way to Denadoro, kind of like how Fossil Valley in Home World is blocked by Porrean soldiers in the beginning. That way we don't have that problem. If we do it through Fiona's Forest, though, then we might not need to do that either, since if we do it that way, we can remove an overworld entrance to Denadoro in 1000 A.D. and make it so you go through the forest instead. If we can't, then the NPCs ought to work, I think.

Don't stress too much about the six characters for PC names until we've got all the important stuff done. That would mostly be a nice little extra feature rather than anything important.

Zakyrus

• Entity
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 28, 2007, 02:58:48 am »
1. We really shouldn't. 2 Megs is ALOT of space (especially for TEXT though there are new maps and such). Geiger has stated that most of that extra space is for expanded strings of text.

2. Remove Denadoro entrance? Can be done easily, no problems there. ...or put something blocking the entrance (within the location) simular to what Guardia did to Guardia Forest Dead End (they blocked it with wood or something).

3. Yeah, I have thought of this before. The only part I am really concerned with is resizing the menu/battle windows so the new names would fit.

Kyronea

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 28, 2007, 03:05:39 am »
1. Okay, good. I'll not worry, then.

2. Righto. But, as I said, if we can't do it so it's only accessible through the forest, then we'll place NPCs in the way of the entrance instead, which will move after the Black Omen rises.

Speaking of the Black Omen...we're going to need to be careful and make sure the Sunken Desert can't be accessed until after the Black Omen rises as well. In New Game+s I've been able to do the forest side quest before even going to the Ocean Palace. We need the extra trigger so the cutscene where they talk about the Black Omen and stuff that hasn't happened at that point doesn't mess anything up story wise.

3. Aye, there is that. Because of that we'll probably end up leaving all of the monsters named the way they are. I know I won't have a problem with that.

Speaking of names, do we want to change Nadia to Marldia, like it is in the Japanese version? We won't have to add the dia to Marle's name in the actual menu/battle screens the way they did, but I figure we might want to change that back, if only for fixing translation differences and errors.

While we're at it...do we want to call the Mystics Demons instead, as well? I'd hope we could avoid that, if only because I don't like the cultural implications of the word demon being used as a species name(as it implies they're all evil, which they're most certainly not.)

Zakyrus

• Entity
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 28, 2007, 03:22:20 am »
2. Righto. But, as I said, if we can't do it so it's only accessible through the forest, then we'll place NPCs in the way of the entrance instead, which will move after the Black Omen rises.

This shouldn't be a problem either, seeing as I can just change the exit events to exit part of fiona's forest into Denador o Mts. the locations in Denadoro will be the same -- just a memory value that knows you're in 1000AD is set. The mem value will cause different events as well as different monsters to load in different positions.... ah, I love coding stuff. :)

Speaking of the Black Omen...we're going to need to be careful and make sure the Sunken Desert can't be accessed until after the Black Omen rises as well. In New Game+s I've been able to do the forest side quest before even going to the Ocean Palace. We need the extra trigger so the cutscene where they talk about the Black Omen and stuff that hasn't happened at that point doesn't mess anything up story wise.

Glad you noticed this, this will be fixed. I checked the code an this quest was enabled early if you told the girl (will be named "Flora") to plant the seed while in Zeal Palace(rather than it happening in the Last Village Commons which was do-able after the Black Omen rises). Normally enabling this quest early would not pose a problem however, now because of the extended Fiona's Forest scene this dungeon can now only be entered if the Black Omen rises (reguardless when you told her to plant the seed)

3. Aye, there is that. Because of that we'll probably end up leaving all of the monsters named the way they are. I know I won't have a problem with that.

Yeah, I did change a few monster names, like Proto 2 became Prototype 2 and Vamp Bat became Vampire Bat...(they fit so why not?) I'll upload the enemies name list later.

Speaking of names, do we want to change Nadia to Marldia, like it is in the Japanese version? We won't have to add the dia to Marle's name in the actual menu/battle screens the way they did, but I figure we might want to change that back, if only for fixing translation differences and errors.

I will probably just leave PC names the same seeing as everyone who plays the American ROM is so used to things being the way they are.

While we're at it...do we want to call the Mystics Demons instead, as well? I'd hope we could avoid that, if only because I don't like the cultural implications of the word demon being used as a species name(as it implies they're all evil, which they're most certainly not.)

Mystics will remain Mystics ("Demon" always did make them sound evil -- which they are not) Also, an important thing I forgot. *slaps self* "Magus's Army" will now be known as "the Maougun" like in the Japanese version (Magus will still be Magus). Maougun sounds really cool, almost as if it strikes fear into the heart of the enemy.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2007, 03:25:33 am by Zakyrus »

Kyronea

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 28, 2007, 03:36:29 am »
Well, if monster names can be changed to fit, it's fine with me. I never really cared about that either way, though. It was the character names that were more of a concern. And understood. I'll make sure everything stays the same name-wise, except for the renamed Magus' Army to Maougun, which does sound neat.

We will have to change a couple things for the map of Denadoro in 1000 A.D., though that should only be in the last room, where the sidequest/backstory stuff involving Crono can occur. I still have no idea what that'll be about, though.

Zakyrus

• Entity
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 28, 2007, 03:43:34 am »
We will have to change a couple things for the map of Denadoro in 1000 A.D., though that should only be in the last room, where the sidequest/backstory stuff involving Crono can occur. I still have no idea what that'll be about, though.

Definately. Will be hard to conjure up, but surely not impossible!

Kyronea

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 28, 2007, 03:50:05 am »
I've been thinking about whether Lavos should communicate with the PCs in the final battle. I think that you should be able to take all seven PCs with you in there, and that between each battle you choose your specific party. This way we can set up scenes with all of the PCs. I figure Lavos can talk in the manner of an elder scolding a child, and that the talk eventually leads to stuff about fighting for survival. Perhaps Lavos can also swear revenge of sorts at the end of the final battle, as a hint towards Chrono Cross. I've got a basic framework of how the scenes might go in my mind but I need time to nail them down, and I want to get through the rest of the storyline stuff first, but does this sound like a good tack to take?

Zakyrus

• Entity
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 28, 2007, 03:52:40 am »
I've been thinking about whether Lavos should communicate with the PCs in the final battle. I think that you should be able to take all seven PCs with you in there, and that between each battle you choose your specific party. This way we can set up scenes with all of the PCs. I figure Lavos can talk in the manner of an elder scolding a child, and that the talk eventually leads to stuff about fighting for survival. Perhaps Lavos can also swear revenge of sorts at the end of the final battle, as a hint towards Chrono Cross. I've got a basic framework of how the scenes might go in my mind but I need time to nail them down, and I want to get through the rest of the storyline stuff first, but does this sound like a good tack to take?

I like it. Let me know what you have in mind for this when you come up with more.
....him swearing revenge could be a line of text that appears when the screen goes white (after the final battle) and you can see the last part of Lavos Core Bit fading away.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2007, 04:04:18 am by Zakyrus »