Author Topic: Cure for Cancer?  (Read 1131 times)

Matt72

• Porrean (+50)
  • Pink Cloud
    • View Profile
Cure for Cancer?
« on: January 28, 2007, 08:33:27 pm »

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
Re: Cure for Cancer?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2007, 09:07:04 pm »
I'm afraid it isn't as simple as we're led to believe. For one thing, if this story could be taken at face value it would be the top news all over the traditional media; I haven't seen any prominent mention of it at all. For another thing, the New Scientist has an uneven track record. For instance, last month they published a press release by an interest group saying that rangers at the Grand Canyon were under pressure from creationists not to comment on the canyon's age, which isn't strictly true.

Glennleo

• Chrono Trigger + Crew
  • Temporal Warrior (+900)
  • Glenn - The true Hero and weilder of the Masamune.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2007, 09:37:03 pm »
Yea that article seems very sketchy at best.

A cure for Cancer? And it isn't on every station, every minute of every day, when it first comes out?

Curing cancer would be the greatest medical discovery of all time. We would have heard something about this drug by now if it was true.

I'm not saying it's completely false, but who knows I could be wrong and man-kind may have finally triumphed over a once unbeatable foe.

Kae

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2007, 08:35:49 am »
I've actually read a similar article titled Scientists cure cance, but no one takes notice. The only point I'd have an issue with is that in the article I read, there were no sources cited. However, it brings up a good point why it may not be all over big news networks, depending how far you read into the "amagawd, big corporations are evil" shtick (and we've all heard terrible things about the American drug companies... :\ ), and that is this:

Here's the big catch. Pharmaceutical companies probably won't invest in research into DCA because they won't profit from it. It's easy to make, unpatented and could be added to drinking water. Imagine, Gatorade with cancer control.

So, the groundwork will have to be done at universities and independently funded laboratories. But, how are they supposed to drum up support if the media aren't even talking about it?

Either way, this is intriguing.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2007, 03:54:06 am »
I've actually read a similar article titled Scientists cure cance, but no one takes notice. The only point I'd have an issue with is that in the article I read, there were no sources cited. However, it brings up a good point why it may not be all over big news networks, depending how far you read into the "amagawd, big corporations are evil" shtick (and we've all heard terrible things about the American drug companies... :\ ), and that is this:

Here's the big catch. Pharmaceutical companies probably won't invest in research into DCA because they won't profit from it. It's easy to make, unpatented and could be added to drinking water. Imagine, Gatorade with cancer control.

So, the groundwork will have to be done at universities and independently funded laboratories. But, how are they supposed to drum up support if the media aren't even talking about it?

Either way, this is intriguing.

A few days ago I read that article you mention. It's almost worthless because it make no citations.

As for your suggestion that it explains why the big media interests haven't reported on this story, your analysis is flawed. Newsrooms are very competitive, and will ordinarily leap at the chance to report a big story. At stake are medals, prizes, fame...enterprising journalists have good reason to do their work. Excepting a natural degree of corruption such as you would find in any industry or pool of people, there is very little truth to the partisan claims that the "mainstream media" (or "traditional media" as I call them) bury the news.

If the media are not reporting on a story, it is usually for one of two reasons:

1) They don't know about it;
2) It isn't news.

If cancer had been cured, the local media (as well as the big guns) should have received press releases and phone calls. That didn't happen. And now that the Internet has been abuzz with this story for quite some time, it's a sure bet that the media have had a chance to investigate. With still no major story breaking, option two looks all the more likely.

I stand by my earlier assessment: The story is more complicated than is popularly understood. In all likelihood, that means any of the following: A) The research is still in a very early stage; B) The "cure" is not widely applicable; C) The results have not been verified or reproduced; D) The "cure" is actually something much less than a cure; E) The whole thing is a hoax or a marketing stunt gone out of control; F) Etc.

Exodus

• Acacia Deva (+500)
  • How do we know we exist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2007, 04:26:59 am »
I'm going to have to agree with J here.

Journalists have good reason to report on the big stories, and you can bet that a cure for cancer would be a big story.

Kae

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2007, 05:22:49 am »
*shrugs* I make no claim to know or understand everything going on in newsrooms around the globe. I was merely expanding upon the point in the article.

Magus22

• Bounty Hunter
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Jean-Luc Picard says "It's time for Chrono Break".
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2007, 03:29:43 pm »
Cure for cancer?

Easy... anti-oxidents

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2007, 10:19:35 pm »
Cure for cancer?

Easy... anti-oxidents

Oh, well then. Silly us. Would you like your $1 million Nobel Prize award in dollars, or tacos?

Magus22

• Bounty Hunter
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Jean-Luc Picard says "It's time for Chrono Break".
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2007, 04:32:09 pm »
Cure for cancer?

Easy... anti-oxidents

Oh, well then. Silly us. Would you like your $1 million Nobel Prize award in dollars, or tacos?

Nobal prizes are overrated... Tacos seem to upset my stomach...

I will take the money though :D