Author Topic: Today is the day  (Read 1025 times)

Magus22

• Bounty Hunter
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Jean-Luc Picard says "It's time for Chrono Break".
    • View Profile
Today is the day
« on: December 22, 2006, 03:06:56 pm »
So I turned 19 years old around 1:30am this morning. I stayed up late playing Samurai Warriors 2 until around that time. I looked outside and gazed into the sky and as soon as the clock hit 1:30am . . . I didn't feel anything. A couple seconds afterwards, I got a pain in my back, proof that getting older will be my demise. But yeah, that was pretty much it.

I can't believe next year I won't be a "teen"!

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
Re: Today is the day
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2006, 03:14:29 pm »
Just never fall into that trap of "time passes more quickly as you get older". Human perspective and relativity aside, that belief is a one-way ticket to underachieving and regretting things. Live in the now.

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2006, 05:10:27 pm »
Happy birthday, man! :) I'd offer you a cookie, but I eat'd it.

XcyrusX

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
    • myspace.com/nathan98023
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2006, 08:11:45 pm »
Happy Birthday!  :D

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2006, 02:42:39 am »
Happy birthday! But I must say, ZeaLitY is wrong on this one. Time does pass more quickly as the years go on. Be mindful of it, and plan accordingly. Live well.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2006, 03:36:46 am »
It's voluntarily imposing a mental restraint upon yourself. I'd rather take no mind of it and live with the belief that each second is still a scientific measure, the same for every person. Looking back and saying "the last twenty years passed like a dream" is betraying every single feeling, aspiration, and achievement you've made over the last twenty years by dismissing it as a flutter. Life does not signify nothing, and we aren't going to go gently into that good night. We're going to raise hell.

Magus22

• Bounty Hunter
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Jean-Luc Picard says "It's time for Chrono Break".
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2006, 02:56:04 pm »
Thank you!

I'd have to agree that time does pass by more quickly. Daily, it feels like time passes slowly because we do things. I have many regrets, I just wish there was a rewind button. Better yet, wouldn't it be something if life was just one big causality loop?

By the time I kick the bucket, I hope some temporal anomolay passes by Earth and I get thrown into something similar to the Nexus.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2006, 03:04:43 pm »
I can see why some people would think it passes more quickly. As children, each day is new; we live for daily opportunities and pleasures. As adults, our pleasures become the result of long periods of work and investment, and we suffer the ability to pass much time while seeking something. So I say the key is to return to that old way of making each day the best. Each day can be magical; there is always something to be gained, no matter how much of it is wasted by something else. Perhaps if you can still seize pleasures and enjoyment out of simple daily experience, you can personally shatter that adage with the pure power of perspective. There is no reason to willingly submit to a phantom limit on your life.

XcyrusX

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
    • myspace.com/nathan98023
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2006, 04:36:51 pm »
Thank you!

I'd have to agree that time does pass by more quickly. Daily, it feels like time passes slowly because we do things. I have many regrets, I just wish there was a rewind button. Better yet, wouldn't it be something if life was just one big causality loop?

By the time I kick the bucket, I hope some temporal anomolay passes by Earth and I get thrown into something similar to the Nexus.

Haha just like Kirk... Hopefully  :)

Ill just get rescued from 75-year transporter loop aboard downed Jenolen, then left to roam on my own aboard a shuttlecraft called Goddard.   
« Last Edit: December 23, 2006, 04:40:36 pm by XcyrusX »

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2006, 09:30:30 am »
Time appears to pass more quickly as a function of human psychology. It's not a mindset issue; it's a real phenomenon. As children we have few memories, an uncrystallized view of the world, and little patience. But as we grow older, our number of memories rises, our worldview settles down, and our patience matures. Each of these contributes to a relative increase in the speed at which time passes. This effect is noticeable not only when we look back upon a given interval of time, but in real-time as well. If you pry, you will find many experiences in your own life to corroborate this.

There is nothing to fight. This is just the way things are. "Real" time, whatever that is, won't proceed any faster, so we still have the opportunity to live every day to its fullest.