Author Topic: Name plot holes for Chrono games.  (Read 10655 times)

Chrono'99

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
Re: Name plot holes for Chrono games.
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2006, 06:29:29 pm »
1. The dimensions extended backwards too, and a new timeline was "created" in which FATE had to monitor Home World too.

This might be the most plausible solution. The ghost scientist actually says something which seems to prove that, right before the lines that I quoted (I didn't notice it the first time):

An instruction to the young girl
   in Arni 01 to give up going to
   the main continent as a poet.
   An instruction to the man in
   Arni 02 to give up becoming
   a fisherman.
   A plan to avoid any point of
   contact with the main continent,
   so as not to affect history.

However...
   Ever since the formation of
   the Dead Sea 10 years ago...
(...)

There's Arni 01, and there's Arni 02. Apparently, Chronopolis did control Home World in the past, even though Home World is supposedly only created in 1,010 A.D. at the same time as the formation of the Dead Sea. It's interesting to note that while some ghosts do mention an incident with a "young boy", no one actually speak about a dimensional split. Perhaps FATE and the Chronopolis scientists are unaware of it and believe the 2 worlds always existed (which is sort of true if the split really extended backwards)?

In any case, to which worlds do "World 01" and 02 actually correspond to? On the one hand, the line about FATE not being able to intervene with World 01 suggests that 01 is Home World. On the other hand, there's a line about the girl in Arni 01 giving up going to Zenan to make a poet career, but it's only in Another World that we see that she gave up writing poems. In Home World, she still writes poetry and still wants to go to Zenan, though she's still hanging around in Arni for some reason.

...And here's yet another shot of crisis related to all these stuff:

Quote from: Arni (Home)
[Man]
   The Record of Fate tells
   me not to go out to sea today.
   That's why I'm here for
   the chief's lecture.
   Go against the Record
   of Fate and you'll
   regret it for sure.
   Days like this, it's
   best to take it easy!
   We should all live
   in harmony with fate.
Quote from: Arni (Home)
[Man]
   Hmmm....
   The Record of Fate makes
   no mention of me meeting
   a demi-human...
   No, no, you must
   be mistaken.
   The Record of Fate
   never makes mistakes.

Those quotes are taken from Arni (Home). It's in Home World, yet the Records of Fate seem to still be working! How do we solve this?
« Last Edit: October 30, 2006, 06:32:10 pm by Chrono'99 »

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2006, 06:54:47 pm »
You can tell which is which by going to Chronopolis. The screens show Viper Manor with a number, and one of the manors has a crumbled gate if I recall.

For the Record of Fate thing, one could argue that they had a failsafe protocol to avoid contact with the mainland, but that doesn't explain the poetry girl...

So many ways we could explain that one away, but it's a problem.

Chrono'99

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2006, 11:00:06 am »
Mmmh, actually, I don't think the dimensional split can be retroactive, this has too much repercussions. If it were, wouldn't the Dead Sea have formed right back after the Time Crash in 12,000 B.C.? The Polis War wouldn't have happened and the Dragonians would have been alone in the empty El Nido sea...

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2006, 07:21:46 pm »
Just to say, but no matter how you classify Grobyc (CYBORG backwards, so...yeah...) neither he nor Lucca's technology would be a plot hole. All it would mean would be that the Guardian & Porrean cultures advanced technologically different from the "real world". I mean, it's like saying, "omg! they've got Magic! PLOT HOLE!"...Plus, w/all of the traveling through time, it's obvious that Lucca would create new advancements in technology (and such advancements would be shared with, say, Luccia) besides her own obviously more "steam punk" technology in the beginning of Trigger (outside of the Telepod?).

So, in closing...advanced tech=/=plot hole

Chrono'99

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2006, 06:06:19 am »
Okay, as far as I'm concerned, we have one CC plot-hole.

As for CT (though it's less interesting to name plot-holes for CT): what about the scene when the Prophet pushed Crono's party into the Gate that Schala then sealed? Instead of ending up at the End of Time, the party reappeared in Prehistory. I believe this is a plot-hole because they were most probably more than 3 persons to time travel: Crono, 2 party members, Masa, and Mune. They should have appeared at the End of Time.

Solid_Choke

• Earthbound (+15)
  • The Autodidact
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2006, 02:58:54 pm »
Okay, as far as I'm concerned, we have one CC plot-hole.

As for CT (though it's less interesting to name plot-holes for CT): what about the scene when the Prophet pushed Crono's party into the Gate that Schala then sealed? Instead of ending up at the End of Time, the party reappeared in Prehistory. I believe this is a plot-hole because they were most probably more than 3 persons to time travel: Crono, 2 party members, Masa, and Mune. They should have appeared at the End of Time.
Maybe 3 people is just an estimate and the real equation used for determining whether or not you end up at the End of Time is based on mass. If it were based on mass perhaps Masa and Mune together make up less then the average mass of a single person thus they still had a total mass of less then that of the average of 4 people.

Say the average party member is 150lbs
If >600lbs then you end up at the EOT
If <600lbs then you can travel as normal
Then a party of 3 averaging a weight of 150lbs each could travel as normal
And a party of 4 averaging a weight of 150lbs the party would end up at the EOT

If a party of 3 averaging 150lbs plus Masa and Mune who average 70lbs each is <600lbs then they can still travel through time as normal

Obviously I simplified the numbers but what do you think of this theory?
Any thoughts would be appreciated.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2006, 03:00:47 pm by Solid_Choke »

CyberSarkany

• Heir to the Masamune
  • Black Wind Agent (+600)
  • "So zetta slow!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2006, 03:07:04 pm »
Yet Robo alone should weight as much as 2 of them.

Solid_Choke

• Earthbound (+15)
  • The Autodidact
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2006, 03:40:17 pm »
Yet Robo alone should weight as much as 2 of them.
Perhaps he is made from super lightweight alloy? All I am saying is that perhaps this isn't really a plothole. Even if Robo is heavier then the rest of the people I am sure Marle and Lucca weigh less then the average party member so maybe it evens out.

Chrono'99

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2006, 04:14:41 pm »
Well, I guess it's possible that Masa and Mune may actually weight nothing.

The Epoch must surely weight a lot though...

Vehek

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2006, 07:48:19 pm »
Are Masa and Mune still considered people for the purposes of the Conservation of Time Theorem?

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2006, 07:53:38 pm »
That one should get off scot-free thanks to the game mechanics angle. They tried to be creative, but it comes down to the fact that only three player characters can be in the party at the time. Of course, everyone knows this...so uh...guess I'm being redundant...but it's nothing to worry over too much, since it's a necessary evil, like Records of Fate in Terra Tower.

Solid_Choke

• Earthbound (+15)
  • The Autodidact
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2006, 10:02:44 pm »
Are Masa and Mune still considered people for the purposes of the Conservation of Time Theorem?
Well they can hide inside of a sword and unless that sword has as much mass as a person...... but perhaps we are thinking about this far too much and Zeality is right, they just needed a reason why we couldn't use 5 people at once.

Rydis

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2006, 11:00:49 pm »
I agree with the above.  Trying to justify such events in this way, there would be no plotholes in any story because anyoen can come up with a reason to counteract it.

Solid_Choke

• Earthbound (+15)
  • The Autodidact
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2006, 11:23:42 pm »
I agree with the above.  Trying to justify such events in this way, there would be no plotholes in any story because anyoen can come up with a reason to counteract it.
No that's not true. You see it is possible that...haha j/k

nightmare975

• Architect of Kajar
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2006, 10:17:10 pm »
I have one for Chrono Cross!

In home world, we have the dead sea, right? Which means there was nothing to fight dinopolis in the dark ages. Dinopolis should have remained in the sky during the game.

*goes off to dance*