Author Topic: A new type of planet?  (Read 565 times)

Magus22

• Bounty Hunter
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Jean-Luc Picard says "It's time for Chrono Break".
    • View Profile
A new type of planet?
« on: September 15, 2006, 02:10:32 am »
You don't have to be an amatuer astronomer like me to enjoy checking out the cosmos once and a while, it really is soothing sometimes to just stare up at the endless, vastness of space and see all the wonderufl things that is all in constant motion and so incredibly far away. I recently discovered this article posted not long ago about a mysterious, enormous "fluffy" planet. This is real, how strange it may seem . . . do check out the hyperlink below if you have time.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060914/ap_on_sc/puffy_planet

There can be anything out there. Reading this article made me think even more about the possibilities of, well anything. Astronomy is fun and tough. There are soooo many things to learn with new stuff being discovered and learned each day.

Did this article make you think about what's really out there in deep space, pertaining to your current knowledge of space?

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
Re: A new type of planet?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2006, 03:30:48 am »
You don't have to be an amatuer astronomer like me to enjoy checking out the cosmos once and a while, it really is soothing sometimes to just stare up at the endless, vastness of space and see all the wonderufl things that is all in constant motion and so incredibly far away. I recently discovered this article posted not long ago about a mysterious, enormous "fluffy" planet. This is real, how strange it may seem . . . do check out the hyperlink below if you have time.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060914/ap_on_sc/puffy_planet

There can be anything out there. Reading this article made me think even more about the possibilities of, well anything. Astronomy is fun and tough. There are soooo many things to learn with new stuff being discovered and learned each day.

Did this article make you think about what's really out there in deep space, pertaining to your current knowledge of space?

Ah, now there's some justice you've done to that user pic you use. You've been way too much of a right-winger lately, but when you avoid the politics I love what you have to say. Recommended topic!

Magus22

• Bounty Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2006, 02:55:26 pm »
True. I do try to avoid the politics because I sometimes cannot back up my side even though what I want to say is in the best interest of the majority of he people.

I will continue to randomly keep this Compendium informed of the most unknown phenomena known to man that should get more attention since it IS our future.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2006, 06:17:20 pm »
Wait, wtf do they mean by "puffy"? I mean, I know that they say Saturn has such a low density that it too would float...but "puffy"? Do they mean it's a multi-billion dollar record producer and all-around entrepreneur? (sry, couldn't help it)...That's pretty nuts how they say it's only 1/20th the distance to it's star that the Earth is to our sun...

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2006, 10:47:06 pm »
Wait, wtf do they mean by "puffy"? I mean, I know that they say Saturn has such a low density that it too would float...but "puffy"? Do they mean it's a multi-billion dollar record producer and all-around entrepreneur? (sry, couldn't help it)...That's pretty nuts how they say it's only 1/20th the distance to it's star that the Earth is to our sun...

In this case, "puffy" is like cotton candy: very low in density.

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2006, 12:06:15 am »
But Saturn is very low in density, and it's not called puffy :lee:

cupn00dles

• Beneath this mask there is more than flesh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2006, 11:24:35 pm »

In this case, "puffy" is like cotton candy: very low in density.

I'm not sure cotton candy would float on water..  :lee:

I'm being sarcastic, just in case.

Magus22

• Bounty Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2006, 07:43:14 pm »
There are a lot of interesting things out there. This is just brain teaser or minor sample.

This thing is HUGE, and to think it could float on water. Just think about that . . . isn't that just awesome?

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2006, 08:00:07 pm »
There are a lot of interesting things out there. This is just brain teaser or minor sample.

This thing is HUGE, and to think it could float on water. Just think about that . . . isn't that just awesome?

Well, of course it wouldn't actually float on water. That's just a figure of speech used by those scientists in an attempt to convey some rather abstruse density information in a way that might be more appealing to the public. And water is a fairly dense substance anyway, so it's remarkable that a planet's average density would be less than that of water's, but not unthinkable.

Just clarifyin'...

Magus22

• Bounty Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2006, 08:05:55 pm »

Well, of course it wouldn't actually float on water. That's just a figure of speech used by those scientists in an attempt to convey some rather abstruse density information in a way that might be more appealing to the public. And water is a fairly dense substance anyway, so it's remarkable that a planet's average density would be less than that of water's, but not unthinkable.

Just clarifyin'...

They should create that galactic fish tank and test it.