Author Topic: Finished FFIV (1st Time)  (Read 1375 times)

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
Finished FFIV (1st Time)
« on: September 12, 2006, 06:15:18 pm »
As it turns out, I had pretty much gotten to Zemus on an earlier playthrough. Just to note, I was playing the Chronicles version (although I have an Advance ROM save on a disk somewhere for when I ressurrect my freakin comp). This is a pretty weird thing since it's been in my Top 3 FFs (FFVI & FFTactics being above) for years now...On the old save, I had gotten to the last, unhidden, save point in the final dungeon, but I was running from most of the regular fights (not to mention the fights for the Lunarian weapons) due to a serious underleveling...plus, I didn't even have Bahamut!

The only thing I regret not getting was the Pink Puff Tail...I have to look up where to fight those bastard things for my Advance run-through, especially since the drop rates are different (better, I think)...

Well, anyways, FFIV is still #3 in my books. If you haven't played it, you're a retarded monkey of some kind. Or maybe you just have better things to do with your time like "having a life" or something!

So now the only RPG I have left in my possession (not including the ROMs stuck on a disk) is Vagrant Story...But it's so hard...with the weapons...and the attributes...and the pseudo-leveling...and my stupid sense of not being able to not name each of my weapons something unique...ARGH!!!

Edit: Oh yeah, now I have a solid chunk of FFs completed from FFIIIj-FFIX & Tactics! Yeay...now I need to finish my ROM saves of Dawn of Souls & FFTA...oh, and somehow manage to play those X games and the new one XII and the various XIIIs when they come out...I can live w/o really playing the MMO XI...Although I will play V Avance & VI Advance...and I'll also try and get to play the DS FFIII...Is there a good DS Emulator out yet?
« Last Edit: September 12, 2006, 06:25:19 pm by V_Translanka »

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Re: Finished FFIV (1st Time)
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2006, 07:11:07 pm »
DS Emulators are terrible at the moment...I don't think any rom has been found to work properly yet.

Wait, lemme rephrase that. The emulators are good, but the roms are shitty...

And I've gotten to the last dungeon in FFIV Advance... It's difficult, I'm underleveled. There are two enemies that ambush me from a chest, two dragons. They kick my ass everytime, and I always automatically open chests without thinking...Kinda hard to avoid, heheh.

As for my PS1 version, it's way too hard for me to bear :/

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2006, 08:20:44 pm »
Really? Yeah, I can't imagine an emulated RPG to be that hard though (yeay for fastforward leveling!) besides maybe Phantasy Star...but that's different! I need, like, a map or something dammit!

...and, two dragons? You don't just mean a Red and a Blue Dragon, do you? Or are they new enemies? Cause damn, if those are giving you trouble you really are underleveled. I had trouble w/the enemy Plague, who gives up the HolyLance, at first because he casts Doom on the party, giving you ten seconds to defeat him...unless you trick his stupid ass...But man, it took me a while to think of it...I love it when RPGs (and games in general) do that to me.

P.S. Oh, and I guess I also still have to conquer Mystic Quest...but it's just...so...BORING!

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2006, 06:47:14 pm »
Really? Yeah, I can't imagine an emulated RPG to be that hard though (yeay for fastforward leveling!) besides maybe Phantasy Star...but that's different! I need, like, a map or something dammit!

...and, two dragons? You don't just mean a Red and a Blue Dragon, do you? Or are they new enemies? Cause damn, if those are giving you trouble you really are underleveled. I had trouble w/the enemy Plague, who gives up the HolyLance, at first because he casts Doom on the party, giving you ten seconds to defeat him...unless you trick his stupid ass...But man, it took me a while to think of it...I love it when RPGs (and games in general) do that to me.

P.S. Oh, and I guess I also still have to conquer Mystic Quest...but it's just...so...BORING!

I played Mystic Quest a few years back...It doesn't seem like Final Fantasy at all... And the first enemy was a Behemoth? WTF? They're supposed to be the badass random enemies of last dungeons, not the first thing you encounter!  :x

Anyways, I'm trying to finish FFVI right now, I'm in Kefka's Tower, but having to use three parties is annoying, as I only train about six members in total.

DarkEpoch7

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2006, 07:15:00 pm »
I thought IV was OK. The amount of random battles were UNGODLY. I still think the best are VII and X, and I'm working on VI right now.

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2006, 08:24:32 pm »
No one is allowed to complain about ungodly amounts of random battles w/o playing Phantasy Star, Tales of Phantasia, and/or Star Ocean (SO least of which). Seriously.

Yeah, I loved that you had to build up your whole team in VI...I was always okay w/that because I always took my team into the "dinosaur forest" in search of Economizer you can get from the Brachiosaur there (either rare drop or rare steal, I believe)...plus, it was just a good place to level up after you've done all the sidequests in the WoR...

Mystic Quest really wasn't a Final Fantasy...it was basically just there to target the n00b NA RPGer...In Japan it was called FF: USA...>_> What a slap in the face, eh?

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2006, 05:51:01 am »
No one is allowed to complain about ungodly amounts of random battles w/o playing Phantasy Star, Tales of Phantasia, and/or Star Ocean (SO least of which). Seriously.

I've been playing the GBA rom of Tales of Phantasia. Yeah, way too many random battles. As for Star Ocean, mine freezes early on in the game. I'm gonna get a better one...

Yeah, I loved that you had to build up your whole team in VI...I was always okay w/that because I always took my team into the "dinosaur forest" in search of Economizer you can get from the Brachiosaur there (either rare drop or rare steal, I believe)...plus, it was just a good place to level up after you've done all the sidequests in the WoR...

Yeah, I train there all the time. It's brilliant for EXP, but I mainly use Vanish and X-Zone to finish 'em off quickly.  :D

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2006, 05:07:07 pm »
Yeah, I used to Vanish+Doom/X-Zone...but since my Sabin always has Bum Rush (and thus, so does Gogo) by then, I took out that glitch (along w/all the others I could, really...no Psycho Cyan for me). It was just a little too cheap for me...

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2006, 05:10:45 pm »
I haven't got Bum Rush yet... -_-, Where do you find it? All I know is that you have to find Sabin's teacher for it, but I don't know where he is!!!  :shock:

Magus22

• Bounty Hunter
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Jean-Luc Picard says "It's time for Chrono Break".
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2006, 07:40:26 pm »
My goal for when I get out of college in May of 2007, I want to have completed:

FF Origins, FF Anthology, FF4, FF7, FF8, FF9, FF12 . . . and any other Final Fantasies I can think of that came out in the USA that are availible. There are sooo many that I am losing track of what's here or what are imports, or the particular number differences that are different in Japan/USA.

There will be many more I am sure, but there are the ones I have at my disposal...

Anywho getting back on topic I have FF Chronicles, . . . but is it better to play on the PS1 or on the GBA?

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2006, 12:57:38 pm »
My goal for when I get out of college in May of 2007, I want to have completed:

FF Origins, FF Anthology, FF4, FF7, FF8, FF9, FF12 . . . and any other Final Fantasies I can think of that came out in the USA that are availible. There are sooo many that I am losing track of what's here or what are imports, or the particular number differences that are different in Japan/USA.

There will be many more I am sure, but there are the ones I have at my disposal...

Anywho getting back on topic I have FF Chronicles, . . . but is it better to play on the PS1 or on the GBA?

Well, FFIV on the GBA looks much better than the original, the music is improved, and there are some secret dungeons. Plus, being able to play it on the move is fun!  :D

And about the difficulty...Y'know that there are two versions of FFIV, right? Easy and Hard? Well, I think FFIV is like a medium-based one.

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2006, 06:47:56 pm »
There are several versions of FFIV, really...There's no "hard", but there was an Easy, which I believe was the original NA release (under the name FFII) which was a dumbed down version w/less items, magics and abilities. There was the Japanese release and then there's the Chronicles version which is a nice blending of both previous versions. FFIV Advance is more akin to Chronicles, but I think it's easier and drop-rates may be increased, plus there are extras. Personally, I'd say play either the original Japanese (which I believe has been fantranslated) or the Chronicles and then play the Advance version for the extras.

I haven't got Bum Rush yet... -_-, Where do you find it? All I know is that you have to find Sabin's teacher for it, but I don't know where he is!!!  :shock:

There's a set of trees around Narshe in the WoR that form an X/t (well, it's five trees anyways) and if you bring Sabin there, you'll see him. You can get it at any time during the WoR regardless of what other Blitzes Sabin knows too, which is super great! But BEWARE, unless you're emulating, it may be difficult to pull off the move as it's a complete 360 degree rotation of the d-pad. But it's an almost assured 9999HP hit move. Basically, don't bother to teach Sabin Ultima, eh?

Chrono'99

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2006, 07:21:06 pm »
For Bum Rush, you can use the "key combinaison" function in the emulator menu (in ZSnes at least) to program macros to some buttons. It rocks for battle games too :)

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2006, 07:33:09 pm »
Yeah, that's why I said, "unless you're emulating" (I also used it for this Super Famicom Gundam SRPG...one of very few good Gundam games)...but wtf is a "battle game"???

Chrono'99

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2006, 07:57:24 pm »
"Fighting game"... (it's rare but sometimes I can't hide that I'm not an English native speakers -_-')