Author Topic: Journey through FF8  (Read 13724 times)

Magus068

• Acacia Deva (+500)
  • Speak the truth, even it leads to your death!
    • View Profile
Re: Journey through FF8
« Reply #60 on: September 22, 2006, 07:53:07 am »

Zell seems to have a tad more intelligence than Laguna. It's sometimes tough to get attached to Laguna and crew because they're all basically army jeeps.

True, but Desperado is so damn cool!

Zell's My Final Heaven is a million times better than Laguna's Desperado.  Zell's final limit break is kinda funny when he travels the entire world in less than 5 seconds!

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 22, 2006, 11:19:13 am »
I'm realizing now that Laguna is a lot like the Frog I've been expanding in Crimson Echoes (going off the Frog in the japanese version). Interesting.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #62 on: September 22, 2006, 03:37:51 pm »
I've always been one of the people who backs the Laguna love story as being far better than the Squall one...

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #63 on: September 23, 2006, 07:10:43 am »
All this FFVIII talk made me play it again...I'm on disc 2 right now.

Daid

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 29, 2006, 11:38:14 am »
Hey, sorry it might be a bit late for me to join this topic but...
...I love Final Fantasy VIII! I'm on my second playthrough after my first save was deleted on Disk 3 by somone who came to my house :( and i've just finished Fishermans Horizan in Disk 2.

Hey ZeaLity, where are you up to in Final Fantasy VIII?

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 29, 2006, 12:42:54 pm »
I wish I could play FFVIII again...I originally played my friend's copy (which is how I played FFVII-IX actually...>_>) w/his copy of the walkthrough guide...I'd like to experience it fresh and new now...Same w/FFVII really...although I didn't use the guide for that one...I did skip the crater and went right to my friend's save of right before Sephiroth...*heh heh*...I got bored ok!?!

Magus22

• Bounty Hunter
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Jean-Luc Picard says "It's time for Chrono Break".
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 29, 2006, 04:02:39 pm »
I wish I could play FFVIII again...I originally played my friend's copy (which is how I played FFVII-IX actually...>_>) w/his copy of the walkthrough guide...I'd like to experience it fresh and new now...Same w/FFVII really...although I didn't use the guide for that one...I did skip the crater and went right to my friend's save of right before Sephiroth...*heh heh*...I got bored ok!?!

PS3 will be coming out with FF7 remake. It will be ok!

Perhaps a remake of CT might land on the PS3 in the future as well and that's why Square ordered the cease and desist letter to the CT 3-D programmers!

I mean, BestBuy and a bunch of other companies let the cat out of the bag on preordering FF7 remake on PS3... you never know whay might be coming out.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 29, 2006, 07:46:04 pm »
What a rich experience that was. The characters were involving and unique, and I appreciated the realism. Looking over criticism, I see that some people really disliked that aspect of the game, but it allowed me to become more interested and attached to the world. I could care more, so to speak. Squall was indeed morose, but his transition was deftly presented; the ending smile and kiss were the best way to end the game. The other characters followed suit with good presentation. As always, I could always stand to see more character development in these games. Nonetheless, what was served was delicious. The stylistic presentation reminded me of Chrono Cross (minus certain verdancy and vibrant color). Areas and scenes were polished, and the frequent use of FMVs was enjoyable. I was taken aback when Squall battled the jet pack Galbadian soldier outside Balamb Garden; that scene with like 100 SeeDs fighting on the prow was mindblowing. The plot was not overly complex, and the transitions between Laguna's time and Squall's were handled well. Honestly, that's another thing about the characters -- Laguna, Kiros, and Ward are instantly memorable and likable. Laguna is almost a veritable Rock Lee, and Kiros and Ward are great support roles.

I'm not a battle technician, and I haven't played tons of RPGs. Nonetheless, I will comment that the battle system was engaging. It had so much opportunity for customization and strategic planning; I loved it. But I guess I'll go into my scant criticisms, now.

1. No charismatic villain after Edea. Chrono has Lavos, FF6 has Kefka, FF7 has Sephiroth. These are riveting villains who warrant utter hatred and fear throughout the playing experience. Ultimecia was mainly a shadow until Disc 4, however. I would have liked the opportunity to really hate someone. Seifer almost pulled this off, but I wish his backstory would have been explained more. The entire "I'm a knight...cuz I feel like it" sort of wasn't nice. I wish he had more motivation.
2. This is just personal preference, but the realism bubble was almost popped when Esthar showed up. It sort of depresses me in fantasy stories when ultra utopia cities with magnificent power suddenly come out of the blue.
3. I'll be honest; the music wasn't quite as memorable. I think this may be due to the transition from chiptunes to full orchestral arrangements. Chrono Trigger's melodies are totally exposed, for instance, and have to be strong to command your attention. However, new games allow more artistic endeavors, and the result is that songs are more mature and subtle. This happens at the cost of being able to play it in your headphones and be like SEPHIROTH YEAHHH OMG WORLD REVOLUTION, UNDERSEA PALACE. I might as well bring it up here that Chrono Cross fans got the shaft with the final battle in terms of music.

I must also add that whoa, this game had a lot of CG characters. Why couldn't they have done that for Cross's cutscenes? We had Serge, Kid, and Lynx. That's it. Oh, and Chronopolis.

Anyway, this was a rich experience, and Squall is certainly an inspiration. He seems a tad more interesting and cool than Cloud (though really, ADVENT CHILDREN SPOILER>SORTA that's probably because the English voice actor in Advent Children made him sound like a jock doofus).  And Zell? Zell rules. That's the end of the freaking story. Zell IS a veritable Rock Lee. Zell and Karsh both echo the same words in FF8 and Chrono Cross, and I think I'll finish this post off with em.

OHHHH YEEAAAAAHH!

nightmare975

• Architect of Kajar
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 29, 2006, 10:13:44 pm »
What you said about the music is so right. But you have to agree, the music when you land at Dollet and Laguna's battle music are some of the best songs in the game.

How did you like the 40 minute walk across the bridge to Esthar?

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
« Reply #69 on: September 30, 2006, 12:10:14 am »

That was just a tech demo. S-E has no plans to remake FF7 for the PS3. Or if they do, they've certainly got an odd way of showing it, what with repeating constantly that the FF7 PS3 tech demo was exactly that, and denying any plans to produce a full remake.

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
« Reply #70 on: September 30, 2006, 12:17:50 am »
Wait, how many hours did you play for Z?

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 30, 2006, 01:47:01 am »

That was just a tech demo. S-E has no plans to remake FF7 for the PS3. Or if they do, they've certainly got an odd way of showing it, what with repeating constantly that the FF7 PS3 tech demo was exactly that, and denying any plans to produce a full remake.

Yeah, that's as much as I've officially heard too.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 30, 2006, 02:39:25 am »
What pains me is that I can see how easy it would be for Final Fantasy 7 fans to hate this game. It's more mature, subtle, laid-back, and artfully presented. Sound familiar? This is what happened between Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross. Whereas we had fucking Sephiroth (yes, adjective needed), badass motorcyle minigame, blowing up crap, etc. with FF7 in big dosages, FF8 brings us heartfelt character development and polished presentation. It'd be so easy to mindlessly criticize it for not being as action-oriented as FF7.

So...

Quote from: Seifer
Add FF8-haters to the list.

Jeez, why is Fujin so attractive...

Chrono'99

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 30, 2006, 06:47:08 am »
Did you see the Odin vs. Seifer scene? That one really surprised me when I saw it for the first time, it was bold (even though it's almost an FF tradition to see Odin in this kind of situation...).

nightmare975

• Architect of Kajar
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 30, 2006, 12:34:22 pm »
What pains me is that I can see how easy it would be for Final Fantasy 7 fans to hate this game. It's more mature, subtle, laid-back, and artfully presented. Sound familiar? This is what happened between Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross. Whereas we had fucking Sephiroth (yes, adjective needed), badass motorcyle minigame, blowing up crap, etc. with FF7 in big dosages, FF8 brings us heartfelt character development and polished presentation. It'd be so easy to mindlessly criticize it for not being as action-oriented as FF7.

You see, I have played every freaking Final Fantasy in my life, except for XI, XII, and XIII, and most likely I will never play them. But FF8 is my most hated one, why? Because I can never understand why you make a big shocker like

Quote from: SPOLIER!!!!1111
Oh, we all went to the same orphanage.

I like the characters, they were well made, Seifer needed some work though, but that shocker right there just told me that they rushed. I don't understand why they would put something like that in a semi-wonderful game. Oh and the Junction system felt like a broken Materia system.

Jeez, why is Fujin so attractive...

God I thought I was the only one. Maybe I just have a thing for hot chicks with eye patches.