Author Topic: Lavos as a philosophical statement  (Read 1997 times)

CronoTriggerfan

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
Lavos as a philosophical statement
« on: August 05, 2006, 11:00:19 am »
As Chrono fans, I think we sometimes tend to take Lavos too literally; we view him as important to the world of Trigger and Cross, (as we should, but just go with me here) instead of possibly thinking of Lavos not as a being, but a statement.

Perhaps the creators of the Chrono series put Lavos in the game to represent their believed destiny of our own world. In a sense, our world definitely has its seemingly emotionless "parasites". Lavos a political statement? Perhaps. Lavos a philosophy? Also possible. Not one I'd like to live my life by, but a philosophy none the less.

We know Square has a history of sneaking social commentary into their games, and I think we should view Lavos as no different. Whether you view him as a simple parasite or something more, he, as I now believe, is a statement.

CTFan

CyberSarkany

• Heir to the Masamune
  • Black Wind Agent (+600)
  • "So zetta slow!"
    • View Profile
Re: Lavos as a philosophical statement
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2006, 11:12:53 am »
Lavos had no reason to destroy the planet(except he needed the wasted land for his eggs to hatch, but I don't think so, it would be more likely that humans may have been a danger to these eggs), and so do we Humans.

Lavos may be a mirror. Ok, maybe an abstract mirror, but still one. It could show us, that, if we go on like we do, the world is doomed.
My opinion.

CronoTriggerfan

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2006, 11:16:38 am »
Lavos had no reason to destroy the planet(except he needed the wasted land for his eggs to hatch, but I don't think so, it would be more likely that humans may have been a danger to these eggs), and so do we Humans.
Well in that case, look at the eggs of Lavos not as actual beings, but beliefs; look how the Taliban is run, Hesbolla(sp?), and other terrorist groups. Their sole purpose is destruction, and that wasted land brings way to new followers. Same principal, no?

Lavos may be a mirror. Ok, maybe an abstract mirror, but still one. It could show us, that, if we go on like we do, the world is doomed.
My opinion.
That's exactly what I meant when I said "philosophical statement" :wink:!

CTFan

Chrono'99

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2006, 11:21:35 am »
I once thought about possible stories for Chrono Break (I'm sure every Chrono fan has), and one idea I came up with was that humanity could become the "new Lavos", now that the original Lavos is dead. In the future, humans explore space, they one day discover a planet with living beings, they colonize it and start making experiments for their own benefit but to the detriment of the inhabitants... exactly what Lavos did on the Chrono planet, just at a smaller scale.

Mmmh, actually, this makes me think about "The Time Machine". In the movie (probably in the novel too... I didn't read it), the protagonist time-travels millions of years in the future and meet 2 alien-looking species: the frail Elois and the monstrous Morlocks (who eat Elois). Apparently, both species are just very evolved humans, Elois being evolved from the upper class and Morlocks evolved from the working class.

Similarly, maybe humans and Lavos are from the same evolutionary path. Lavos could be a very evolved form of the human species (I'm assuming humans on the Chrono planet are not the only humans in the universe)... if humans keep on being selfish and destructive to their environment, at least. In other words, Lavos is an extreme vision of the bad side of humanity.

CyberSarkany

• Heir to the Masamune
  • Black Wind Agent (+600)
  • "So zetta slow!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2006, 12:41:12 pm »
Deja vu  :lee:

I can bet I read that before...

Chrono'99

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2006, 01:01:11 pm »
Yeah but no one commented on the first time  :jiraiya:

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2006, 05:40:16 am »
I think you were on the right track in identifying this topic, CT Fan, but the answer may well be simpler and more obvious than you think: The love of nature is particularly strong in modern Japanese culture, and is much romanticized. Lavos represents a complete perversion of that concept, and the ramifications of humanity's inherent desire to embrace this perversion.

Hadriel

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2006, 06:32:01 pm »
I'd think the exact opposite of that.  Lavos isn't a perversion of nature, Lavos is its very embodiment.  He's a rudely meteoric wake-up call to romantic views of nature and existence, a red alert to the fact that nature is not an Edenic edifice of wonder and joy and puppies and stuff.  It's a brutal, unforgiving construct of a universe that just doesn't give half a damn about anything, let alone one pissant race on some backwater shitworld.  If anything, the triumph over Lavos is a symbol of our efforts as humans to change our own viciously egoist nature, or even to change the necessity for it.  Lavos as a meteor makes just about the most sense as a symbol, because a giant space rock doesn't care what it hits or whose lives it destroys in the process.  It's just nature.

THE CIRCLE OF LIFE
AND IT MOVES US ALL

AuraTwilight

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2006, 09:14:49 pm »
I'm gonna fall back on my Lavos=Galactus theory. For all the terror Lavos brings, the good he indirectly causes is infinitely greater. He is the sperm that infertilizes planets and creates the best races the planet can offer. If those races can defeat Lavos, they've passed. If not and Lavos destroys them, the universe isn't missing out on anything.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2006, 11:40:32 pm »
Geez, this is why I gave up the Analysis forums: when even the most simplistic, self-evident truths are taken as mere points of view!

Let's say Lavos is a big moldy croissant and be done with it.

Outta here!