Author Topic: Yu-Gi-Oh! TCG  (Read 3198 times)

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Re: Yu-Gi-Oh! TCG
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2006, 06:27:15 am »
Yeah, but battles in the show are already ludicrously long...often times taking over four half-hour episodes! Imagine that doubled! :shock:

Good point, but I wish they'd at least read the frickin' rule book before they write an episode...

Nicole_Flesher

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2006, 10:22:17 am »
I ahte how no matter how many times they shuffle they still play the same damn cards.
Never thought about that. And you know it would be interresting if the bad guy one every once in a while.

Nicole_Flesher

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2006, 10:24:15 am »
But the shows teach you how to play...>_> That's the bastard brainwashing fuck of it all, isn't it? Except for polermization...I think the cartoons make that seem easier or something than in the real card game...Or maybe it's just like that because they pick the exact cards to fit their scripted battles...:)
Yes but they do some what diffrent in the movies/shows. Well thats the way I see it.

kingpingu30

• Springtime of Youth
  • Guardian (+100)
  • Cos I am the actual king of the pingus.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2009, 11:46:35 am »
I am an avid player of Yu-Gi-Oh.

I'm currently playing an Apprentice Monarch deck, but I may make a Macro Monarch deck in due course. I'm goin to a tournament on the 18th, so my deck needs to be at its best.

And the cartoons suck in terms of the rules. For example, playing a monster in face-up defence position? And don't even get me started on Card of Sanctity...

And I can't seem to find any of my 6 Bottomless Trap Holes... Which I need...
« Last Edit: October 10, 2009, 12:15:49 pm by kingpingu30 »

Truthordeal

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Dunno what's supposed to go here. Oh now I see.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Account
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2009, 12:43:35 pm »
Quote from: Kingpingu30
And the cartoons suck in terms of the rules. For example, playing a monster in face-up defence position? And don't even get me started on Card of Sanctity...
Yami: With my Catapult Turtle, I can launch my Dragon Champion Toward your castle shattering its flotation ring, thereby causing it to collapse on your monsters.
Bakura: This card game is a load of bollocks.

It had to be said.

kingpingu30

• Springtime of Youth
  • Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2009, 12:47:30 pm »
In all fairness, it IS always the cartoons that ruin the reputations of the games which they are based on...

Vehek

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2009, 04:19:40 pm »
But at least in this case, it was the manga/anime that spawned the card game.

kingpingu30

• Springtime of Youth
  • Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2009, 04:23:58 pm »
It was the manga, not the anime, I think.

Vehek

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2009, 04:25:57 pm »
Yes, manga technically, but the point  is, Yu-Gi-Oh's Duel Monster rules were ridiculous before the actual card game.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2009, 04:36:43 pm by Vehek »

kingpingu30

• Springtime of Youth
  • Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2009, 04:31:19 pm »
Yup, thats the truth. I mean, they still are in the anime, but it is a lot of fun to ridicule their rules with a lot of proper rules. I just laugh at GX, you know. Because it is just stupid in every way imo.

Kara Kazeneko

• Springtime of Youth
  • Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
    • Kara's DeviantArt Page
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2009, 10:05:54 pm »
The anime folks know that if they followed the TCG rules all the way, it'd make the show kind of boring. LOL.

Btw, fellow duelist here - got some pretty kickass decks, some of which are tournament worthy (especially what a friend of mine refers to as my "core deck"; it's the one I use the most, has the best construction/strategy, and awesomely makes use of my love of swords and mystical/warrior-like beings and creatures; and if I were a character in the anime, with how they have a "signature card" to sort of represent themselves, then mine would most certainly be the "Maha Vailo" card).
« Last Edit: October 11, 2009, 10:07:43 pm by Kara Kazeneko »

kingpingu30

• Springtime of Youth
  • Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2009, 12:52:16 pm »
Oh, I almost forgot about a signature card. Mine would be Prime Material Dragon. That card rules, especially when played with a Monarch deck. So, I've got a tournament on the 18th. Although it is only a small one, it may be the last one held in Carlisle, where I live, so I'm gonna try and improve on my top 8 finish in the last one and go all the way with my Apprentice Monarch build.

EDIT: Oh, btw, has anyone seen that legal Obelisk the Tormentor?? I was like, WTF??????
« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 01:26:38 pm by kingpingu30 »

Yourgingerestfan

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • im ginger ....your ginger ....were all ginger !
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2009, 05:46:45 pm »
*Resurrects*

I haven't played for years , It was fun when I did play , I stopped collecting when the Ancient Sanctuary set came out ..so thats probably a long time ago :s

I preffered to collect the cards then battle with them and My favourite sets were Metal Raiders and Magicians Force although I got the 1st secret card of the ancient sanctuary set in my ..first and last booster pack of that set .

Do they still release new cards and stuff ? I heard about a new series called GX or something but ...is it as good as the originals ?

Kodokami

• Entity
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Enjoy the moment!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2009, 07:23:37 pm »
I was a big player of the game myself a while back. Now I just collect and try to find someplace to put the shoebox of cards. :)

Though not a fan of the tv show, GX is long gone already and replaced by 5Ds. Honestly, I prefer the original Egyptian plot line over the newer "duel academy" of GX and ever newer "dueling on motorbikes" of 5Ds (Seriously, playing a card game on a motorbike?! What were they thinking...).

And Konami is still releasing new cards. In fact, the last cards I added to my collection came during Christmas (it's a personal tradition of my brother's and mine to each buy one of the seasonal tins, then to blindly play with those new cards). Also, being a collector, I bought the latest "premium" pack, Hidden Arsenal--mainly for the artwork (every card from that pack is foil). And I must say, Ally of Justice Clausolas looks friggin' amazing, despite being an otherwise useless card. :D

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #29 on: December 27, 2009, 07:33:03 pm »
Though not a fan of the tv show, GX is long gone already and replaced by 5Ds. Honestly, I prefer the original Egyptian plot line over the newer "duel academy" of GX and ever newer "dueling on motorbikes" of 5Ds (Seriously, playing a card game on a motorbike?! What were they thinking...).

5D's has been very well received, actually. The motorbike thing is pretty damn stupid, I agree, but the plot and characters are apparently very enjoyable. At least the motorcycle stuff doesn't take over the game completely; the rules for it are at least logical and work in the real game (as far as I know).

I don't play the real TCG anymore (no-one here plays it anymore and I'm not going into the city for weekly events every time I want to play it). I do however play some of the games, Tag Force 4 in particular is pretty good fun, and the latest DS game isn't bad. I used to run various decks; spellcasters, warriors, E-Hero...

My current avatar's also my favourite card.