Author Topic: Stuff you hate  (Read 168106 times)

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
Re: Stuff you hate
« Reply #705 on: June 05, 2008, 02:18:23 am »
Heh, I guess it all dates back to Lord J's many posts on the political arena begun in late 2003. The intellectual bar for Compendium general discussion has been kept (relatively) high ever since. Lord J is optimistic about the "I'M VOTING FOR MCCAIN" crowd. I can remember feeling like I at least wanted to say that after the New Hampshire primary...

I hate that many people never even question the purposes of their lives or why they take certain actions.

placidchap

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
    • View Profile
« Reply #706 on: June 05, 2008, 10:27:37 am »

Placid, I am curious, what are your feelings on democracy as a form of government? It would appear that you do not like it, as you stated that if your desired outcome is not actualized you plan on leaving the United States.

There have been times that the political decisions of this nation have made me sick, but that is a sign of a healthy democracy! No one can, or should, get their way all the time (if such a "democracy" exists where any single group always gets their way, then that is no longer a democracy). Being in a democracy means that occasionally the government will make choices you don't agree with, indeed, it will occasionally make choices that you think are utterly moronic and stupid. But such is democracy. I would claim that even if the coming presidential election does not come out the way I hope, that is still a desirable thing and I would do well to remain in such a democracy. If you are willing to leave the nation if Obama isn't elected, why should you subject yourself at all to a government that isn't perfectly inline with your political stances? Even if Obama is elected, it would seem like democracy still isn't the government for you. You'll have won this time, but there will be defeats in the future, other times that you'll either have to leave or bow to the will of the people; if you are unwilling to do the latter, why delay on the former?

My complaint is not with how democracy works, it is with the mindset of the majority of America.  If they still think that war is what needs to be done, that Iran needs to be dealt with, that Big Brother America needs to invade another country and impose their own views and morals upon them, for the sake of spreading democracy and a better world, then I want nothing to do with the US.  I don't agree with any of that, especially when all these jackasses continue pouring time, effort and money into a lost cause at the determint of their own country.  Sure, democracy is one of, if not the best form of government thus far, but that does not mean it is for everyone.  When was the last time you remember every one, every where agreeing on something?  Probably never, or if so, on something trite.  When it comes to major things like religion, government, education etc it is damn near impossible to get everyone on the same page, in one country, let alone the entire world.  Major changes (like change of government) need to happen for the most part, internally.  Once the people want a change and make it happen, then if they want, they can ask for help from those who have more experience in that arena.  Nobody wants their door kicked down like Jason Statham in "The Transporter" followed by a "things are going to change around here" whether it is for their own good or not.  Getting people to change, by force, is a big waste of time, energy, resources and lives.  So, Democracy itself is not the problem, it is the people that I have a problem with...and since Democracy is the voice of the people, I will know where the people lie on these issues come November. 
Canada is a Democracy and I love living in Canada.  Canadians generally seem to have a different mindset, one that aligns more with my views, which is why I prefer living in Canada vs the US. 

Anyways, I hate the pressure of birthdays, particularly wife birthdays. And I hate how this thread is not a sticky.

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #707 on: June 05, 2008, 12:20:57 pm »
Placid, if I am understanding you correctly, you are essentially stating that your disillusionment (though perhaps displeasure might be a better word) with American democracy is not in the democracy but in the possibility of the majority disagreeing with your perceptions; if such a disagreement between the populous and yourself continues, you are quite willing to relocate yourself to a population group that better matches your views. In short, it seems that it is the degree of conflict between your views and the populous' views that you find so displeasing (and not just that there is a conflict of views).

Is such a correct understanding?

If so, allow me to follow such up with another question. What do you know of the term "bystander"?

I am not referring to the dictionary definition of the word, mind you, but to bystanders as a group of people as they are concerned to violent actions. To an extent, this includes the Bystander Effect, but I am also referring to a larger scale than that. When one talks of genocide, one almost inherent has to talk about three groups of individuals; the perpetrators, the victims, and the bystanders. Bystanders are individuals who witness actions that they are opposed to but are not involved with. Yet, not only are they not involved, they also refuse to get involved. While such individuals are not the perpetrators of a crime, nor are they the victim of that crime, they allow the crime to happen.

Why do I bring this up? I can well understand the frustration you might have over being part of a nation that behaves in a manner that you think it utterly stupid, foolish, and harmful. However, if you do, in fact leave America because of the conflict between your own views and the views of the populous, you are only turning yourself into a bystander. What ever ill follows, you have not washed your hands of it. Rather, you will have allowed those ills to happen.

Evil happens in the world because of the silence of good people.

Now you might think it doesn't matter if you stay in America or not, such ills will happen nonetheless. Perhaps, but you, and people like you, are a mitigating force in the United States. Without you and those like you, the government is free from the restraints that you provide. Those restraints might not be as powerful as you might like, but they are also more restrictive than nothing.

And that takes us back to my original statement. It would appear that you do not like democracy. I say this because without you and those like you, this democracy will fail.

Democracy's strength is not just in everybody agreeing on something but also in everybody disagreeing on, well, everything.

x_XTacTX_x

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • I got myself a Paper Clip.
    • View Profile
« Reply #708 on: June 05, 2008, 12:23:04 pm »
I hate those "Bland girl who wants to be like the popular girls" movies. And Lagune Beach.

Anacalius

• Alternate Primary Member
  • Enlightened One (+200)
  • Boredom is not a burden that anyone should bear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #709 on: June 05, 2008, 04:18:31 pm »
Thought, very well put.

I hate Tidus.  :lol:

x_XTacTX_x

• View Profile
« Reply #710 on: June 05, 2008, 04:42:11 pm »

Not as much as I hate Vaan.

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #711 on: June 05, 2008, 05:57:07 pm »

Not as much as I hate Vaan.

Basch was supposed to be the protagonist over those idiots Vaan and Penelo... I didn't really mind Vaan or Penelo, but considering the change from Basch was done on a whim (and very late into development, too!), I don't get it.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #712 on: June 05, 2008, 08:50:28 pm »
Basch was supposed to be the protagonist over those idiots Vaan and Penelo... I didn't really mind Vaan or Penelo, but considering the change from Basch was done on a whim (and very late into development, too!), I don't get it

I never knew that.  I DID know that the game was over halfway done and scrapped, though.  So the Final Fantasy 12 we have is more like Final Fantasy 12.5

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #713 on: June 05, 2008, 08:59:16 pm »
Damn, it could have been really awesome with more focus on the Basch / Gabranth rivalry. Vaan's position as main character has led me to keep FFXII wrapped until the day when I take a look at the character model data. I do believe Yaz0r/yazoo already made a viewer for FFXII just as he did FFX.

Maybe when we're done with a major Chrono Cross hack five(?) years from now, we can stop over at the Final Fantasy Compendium and show 'em how fan remakes are done.

x_XTacTX_x

• View Profile
« Reply #714 on: June 05, 2008, 09:54:47 pm »
I would've loved to see a Basch revolved story. But even so, what if they centered the story around Larsa?

And i'm I the only one who thought Larsa was a girl until AFTER the Lhusu Mines?

placidchap

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
    • View Profile
« Reply #715 on: June 06, 2008, 12:18:53 pm »
Well said Thought.  I actually expected a response along those lines, that I am not part of the solution but part of the problem, that I am running away and ignoring the problems, taking the easy way out.  Well, what you said is quite accurate, to be honest.  I am not an activist or an outspoken person, I am the quiet, ‘good-natured’ person, that votes and plays devil’s advocate with my little brother and his views so he can see “both sides of the fence” (which are aligned with my Dad’s, which is the opposite of my own).  I should probably write some letters to voice my opinion to those in power (in conjunction with my vote).  I still feel that the majority or maybe just the vocal majority of America have views that are different than mine which makes me feel like I am ‘misplaced’ with my residence.  The very least I do is vote, with the last election being my first 18+ actual vote, needless to say, it did not go in my favour.  I tried to not allow the ‘evils’ happen by voting for the guy that I thought would not allow those things to happen.  I would say I do like democracy, as I am glad to go to the polls and express my opinions by voting for those that are aligned to my own.  I would also say that according to how a democracy operates, I am not a bystander in a complete sense, as our democracy works on votes of the population and their elected officials.  I vote, which means I do my part, however small it may be.  Not everyone can be a trailblazing/activist/leader type; I am a follower.  And I am following where my senses lead me, which is to a country where the overall spirit of the society is different than that of my home country.  It may be easier than trying to convert those around to see your point of view, but that is not the kind of person I am.  I live my life, you live yours, there is discussion but I never try to “convert” any one.  Come this election, if the people vote for more of the McSame, I will know that the majority of America wants many things that I do not.  I hope that was somewhat co-herent, as that is not my best trait.

I hate when you cook a dish and it is so good that you want to make more…but you used up all the ingredients.

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #716 on: June 06, 2008, 01:24:09 pm »
You're portraying yourself as an ordinary person, Placid, but extraordinary times call for ordinary people.
Anywho, I'll stop singling you out :)

Hmm... I hate how prevalent logical fallacies are in society and how freely people use things like ad hominem attacks, association fallacies. I also hate how hard it is to detect logical fallacies in one's self.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2008, 02:22:48 pm by Thought »

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
« Reply #717 on: June 06, 2008, 11:04:50 pm »
I also hate how hard it is to detect logical fallacies in one's self.

That's what thoughtful people with  opposing views are for.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #718 on: June 07, 2008, 02:19:36 am »
I hate that the DVD I rented of Memoirs of a Geisha is warped towards the outer edge. I want to punish the fucking cretin useless piece of human waste who left the DVD out to be damaged like that. Now I can't finish the movie, but I'm already emotionally invested in it. I could kill that son of a bitch.

Kebrel

• Springtime of Youth
  • Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • नार्य काम संस्कृत
    • View Profile
« Reply #719 on: June 07, 2008, 02:24:18 am »
I loved that movie, most movies in the genre all always so bland or sexiest it was great to see something of that caliber. If you really want you can easily get a torrent.