Author Topic: Stuff you hate  (Read 171626 times)

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
Re: Stuff you hate
« Reply #1425 on: November 18, 2011, 02:45:17 pm »
I interpret many TSA workers as victims, not evildoers. They're ill-trained, poorly-paid, made to do some difficult work from passengers who often mistreat them, and generally don't have the top hats to set off my evil radar. The bad eggs bring bad PR to the whole industry, but I've never had any negative experiences at airports myself. Most of these people are fellow 99 percenters. My only recent bad memory experience was a tarmac crew worker in Phoenix who threw my backpack (which I could see from my seat in the plane) so hard that it fell on the ground.

They're all the bad eggs. The execution of their duties necessitates doing evil for evil's sake. The grunts are the burglars, the child molesters, the cancer-causers. They knowingly and deliberately perpetrate evil on their fellow humans simply for evil's sake. Their modest salaries are not indicative of virtue. This isn't Jean Valjean stealing a loaf of bread. This is some high school drop out stealing materials he knows to be safe under the lie that they are dangerous, and then just throwing them out.

Personally, though, I prefer the body scanner machines to the fun of a much more personal search. In fact, so long as the radiation concerns can be mitigated (which is not a problem at all in many designs), I'm not against them at all. Bean-counting-type jobs are never as fun as they seem to outsiders. Most people would get inured to looking at that imagery really fast, and I'm not so puritanical that I feel violated if some badge looks at a picture of my naked outline.

The scanners, which provide no security benefit, cannot be made safe, because they necessarily expose you to ionizing radiation. The best thing that can be said of the machines is that most of the people they will give cancer to are the very monsters trying to cause cancer in innocent travelers. The entire program should be dismantled, and Chertoff and the bureaucrats he conned should all be rotting in prison for fraud and assault with a deadly weapon.

~~~

Saj, I'm so sorry to hear that. It is wise of you to cut off contact with him, but don't cut yourself off from your friends.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1426 on: November 18, 2011, 03:22:20 pm »
@RD: We don't usually disagree on this sort of thing, and, since I haven't got the grounding in this issue that you seem to have, I'll hold my peace for now and learn more about the issue at some point. (You may direct me to resources if you like, but don't go to any trouble.) I'm sure, meanwhile, that you can appreciate my wariness at so broadly painting the low-paid workers of an industry in such negative terms. Since I don't know what you apparently do, I can't and wouldn't do that right now. Also, my skepticism remains. Though my exposure to the issue is limited mostly to my personal airport experiences and some news articles I've read about the body scanners, I find it difficult to accept that not only has the government created such an evil entity, but that all the low-rung workers in it are evil too.

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1427 on: November 18, 2011, 06:00:27 pm »
Saj,RD and Fautwolf are quite right in that this is the time to rely on your social network for support. There's little that we can do, but what there is, you only have to ask. Hopefully you know people who, due to being a person in physical space rather than words through a computer terminal, will be able to provide far more meaningful comforts.

Sajainta

• Survivor of the Darkness
  • Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • Reporting live from Purgatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1428 on: November 19, 2011, 07:36:01 am »
Thank you for your kind words, everyone.  <3

It hurts very badly right now, but I am taking it surprisingly well.

tushantin

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • Under Your Moonlight, Stealing Your Stars
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #1429 on: November 19, 2011, 12:02:40 pm »
It hurts very badly right now, but I am taking it surprisingly well.
Still sure you don't want a choco ice cream? XD

« Last Edit: November 19, 2011, 12:10:20 pm by tushantin »

Kodokami

• Entity
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Enjoy the moment!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1430 on: November 19, 2011, 12:12:26 pm »
I thought that said chocobo ice cream. :lol:

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1431 on: November 19, 2011, 12:20:42 pm »
Scientific illiteracy. In want of that, the world becomes a superstitious, spiritual place where the private prejudice of belief trumps the reality of nature. We all have passions, and we all have convictions, but those of us who possess a literacy in science have a much better opportunity to develop those passions based upon the conditions of the real world, and are much likelier to defend our convictions in the court of reason.

Our species is one with a lot of potential, and with nearly as much waste. Just as surely as people never make good judgments without cause, so too do people never make bad ones without cause. Even the most misguided believer is led to adopt those views from circumstances and intellect. Looking at the character of individuals, it's easier to conclude that most societies fail most people than it is to conclude that most people fail themselves. Certainly a segment of the population may simple be uncivilizable due to a genetic or developed incompatibility with our Civilization. But that's not the legacy of people like Hitler, or bin Laden. If they had been raised differently, they would not have become purveyors of evil.

It is, instead, the people who are denied an education in the natural world who suffer the worst outcomes. It is the lack of the understanding of biology, of geology, of cosmology, of chemistry and of physics, which leads people to assert what purified inanities they inevitably cherish.

There are many ways to fail in character: poor judgment, incuriosity, lack of ambition, stupidity, lack of self-control, and more. Societies often lead people to those failings, and the individuals themselves, lacking a finer grain, commit themselves to wasting their lives--and often harming other people's lives. What's so tragic about this is not the people who through ignorance consign themselves to irrelevance, but the people who possess that "little bit of learning" that Pope described, enough intelligence to be smart, but not wise. These are the people who often aspire toward noble things, and it is, ultimately, their scientific illiteracy which corrupts them. Imagine what the bad guys could have done if they had been among the good guys. In my years here at the Compendium I have seen people go down that road, most recently tushantin, willingly embracing all the right ideals in all the wrong ways. Ultimately, these people become the enemies of humanity, and it falls to people of good conscience to constrain their perversions.

But it also falls to us to promote a world where people seek to understand the world. Begone, O illiteracy of science! Begone, and so many of these seemingly inexorable human tragedies will never even begin.

tushantin

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • Under Your Moonlight, Stealing Your Stars
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #1432 on: November 19, 2011, 02:33:31 pm »
That depends. Are Saj and you vegetarian?  :lol:

@Josh: Don't you have anything better to do?

Katie Skyye

• Poet of El Nido
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
  • And you'll never catch her...
    • View Profile
    • Katie Skyye's Deviantart
« Reply #1433 on: November 19, 2011, 03:41:55 pm »
That depends. Are Saj and you vegetarian?  :lol:

@Josh: Don't you have anything better to do?

...close enough!

And no, he doesn't--except when he 'doesn't have time to reply' due to other pressing concerns. And don't worry, Josh, I am not questioning that you have a busy life. Only that you seem to not have anything better to do but write really long replies--except when you have no time at all. But what do I know?
Anyway, sorry about your descent into madness, Tushantin. When you eventually become an enemy of humanity, call me up so I can do away with you. It's what's best.

(Not that I don't agree with 90% 80% 60% most of what Josh is saying...but I don't want to mess with the adorableness of this Choco/Chocobo thing going on.)

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1434 on: November 19, 2011, 04:18:06 pm »
And no, he doesn't--except when he 'doesn't have time to reply' due to other pressing concerns. And don't worry, Josh, I am not questioning that you have a busy life. Only that you seem to not have anything better to do but write really long replies--except when you have no time at all.

It's mostly a function of how much I am willing to procrastinate, and how much thinking power any given post takes. My terribly backlogged reply to Syna about the Islamic veil, and my not-belated but certainly slow-in-coming reply to Thought about abortion, require more attention than I can spare in between my other commitments. They aren't appropriate for quick completion, and I treat them differently.

Most of my posts here are quick and easy to write, take little time (even when they are long), and are an excellent way of getting out of doing other things that I really should be doing. For instance, I'm writing this reply instead of getting started on my next work item! But now, sadly, the reply is done. =(

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1435 on: November 19, 2011, 08:25:45 pm »
J and tush, I think you two need to step back and take a breather. We've never had an atmosphere here that discouraged arguments, and I see little reason for that to change. However, I think everyone benefits most when the people involved in an argument are lobbing their best stuff at each other, and addressing the ideologies that have taken root in one another's minds, rather than resorting to personal jabs. There's a fine line there for sure, but I may not be the only onlooker who suspects it's long been crossed. Your rivalry now looks little different than school kids spray painting "tush sucks!" and "J's a big meanie!" on competing walls. Just with bigger words.

I've gotten to know both of you (I think) fairly well over the past few years, and I want to tell you both something I'm pretty confident I've learned about the other.

J: tushantin wants to learn, and to grow. His time in this environment has enriched him. There's not a speck of doubt in my mind that I've seen it happen, and this is why I respect him as a friend and artist. That he would take the time to slave over a series of posts that are as long as some pieces of legislation shows that he's willing to go down the road of exploring these issues; his understanding may not be as deep as you desire to see, and it may be colored by his local culture in a way that appears as if it will always remain with him to some degree -- but that's how the rest of us all start out. From what I can tell, tushantin's exploration of sexual equality is something that's gradually yawned open over the past year, and I'm sure he's received plenty of encouragement to do so thanks to this environment. Writing him off as "evil" when he's still setting out on his journey can only seem counter-productive to me. There comes a point when a social champion must write off certain people, true, but I think your objective would benefit if you're willing to engage with people over a longer scale, so long as they give a signal that they're open to growing further.

Secondly, I'd like to make a suggestion that should probably go in your philosophy feedback thread, but if you'll oblige me I'll leave it here. I've gotten the sense that your insights are most effective when you focus on concepts and not the people who hold them; as an example, your commentary on fat prejudice had a very quick impact on me when you first raised it here, and made me realize that my own bigotedness toward fat was really, well, just my own desire to be bigoted against something. Fat bigotry is something of a cultural artifact I think, and perhaps those are where your ammunition is best directed. Had we gotten into a debate on it while I was still fat-bigoted, I'm sure I would have drawn on the common cultural wisdom out of my natural fight-or-flight response -- which I think applies just as much to Internet forums as it does in real life. When going cross-culture, you may not necessarily require first-hand experience with things given your particular way of thinking, but you may do well to tango directly with the cultural artifacts as they arise in conversation.

I want to make it clear I'm not saying this only out of a desire to reduce tension in the community -- I'm also drawing on my great love of efficiency. With regard to the former concern, people still hold cultural artifacts dear inasmuch as these give them a sense of place and belonging, so I'm not sure it would really reduce tension on average anyway. I'm reminded of the meaning tushantin finds in the Indian bracelet ritual he spoke of earlier, where the brother swears to protect the sister -- this is something very important to him on a fundamental level, so I'm sure he would report that our criticism of it riled him up. However, there is still an element of the argument that could sink in: if women are taught defensive techniques with the rigor men are in whatever culture, the outcome could be superior. Contrast this with, "tushantin is evil, and he's not worthy of my insights," which is how your latest post in this thread comes across. Secondly, if I may draw on Thought's love of analogy: your approach has been something like the Ebola virus, slamming people mercilessly at the center and in whole; HIV probably does a lot more work over a longer period of time targeting all those individual antibodies the body could draw on to resist, but last I heard, HIV has claimed way more territory than Ebola. You may take my report as just one more anecdote in any case.

tush: You can rest assured J is just as willing to slam an American as he would any Indian he happens to encounter. J is frequently overbearing simply because his mind exists outside most of our reference points; I take him at his word when he says he's figured things out completely on his own, without much cultural absorption factoring into his thinking. If you can look past his abrasiveness I think you'll find some very interesting pieces of wisdom you wouldn't have found anywhere else, and that's why I respect him as a friend and artist. J's insights are the kind that are best appreciated over time; given how far the angst between you has grown, you may very well decide that further interaction is useless, but you may reflect on at least of few of the things he's said with warmth after much time has passed, if you can imagine that!

To you both: The biggest problem point I've seen is your mutual tendency to rush in at one another right after he's made a post on a subject that you've argued on previously. I can provide one example for each of you, and analysis upon request, but I have a feeling you've both sensed this anyway. Waiting can be a valuable skill, and is indeed appreciated by members who also feel strongly on these subjects but may not have the time to post for a few days; I've found that the amount of time we have to spend here waxes and wanes as things in our non-Internet lives take us, and giving some time for our cycles to match up may be worth it in the long run. That one or the other of you posts doesn't constitute an immediate emergency; furthermore, if you allow a few more people in the room, you may find that the resulting atmosphere has a way of clearing the air and dissipating the force of emotion that can get wrapped up in your communications.

I was tempted to direct you both to the "Ignore User" button, but whaddaya know -- we don't have one here that I can find! My hope is that if you take some time off from one another, you can get back to a level of debate that's worthwhile for you both later.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2011, 08:36:55 pm by FaustWolf »

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1436 on: November 19, 2011, 08:45:57 pm »
Faust! Thank you for that bit of perspective. I'm afraid I won't be changing my deeply negative view of tushantin anytime soon, and goodness knows I've sounded the drum before about the value of standing up for one's convictions even when they are unpopular, but at the same time I think you're right that tush means well and, more importantly, I think you're spot-on to suggest that this nonsense between him and me is past the point of doing any good for any one. I would add him to that ignore user list if only we had one! In lieu of that I will simply have to do a better job of behaving myself. =)

Edit: As to that bit about focusing on ideas and not their human exponents...my jury is still out. I really don't think the two are as separable as people seem to suppose.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2011, 08:50:19 pm by Lord J Esq »

Katie Skyye

• Poet of El Nido
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
  • And you'll never catch her...
    • View Profile
    • Katie Skyye's Deviantart
« Reply #1437 on: November 19, 2011, 09:51:29 pm »
J and tush...the entire damn post...for you both later.

I just want to say that that was really well-said! Much better than I managed. Not that either of us seemed to do much good, but that's how it is.

Anyway, what is this, the Stuff you hate thread? Well, right now, I don't hate anything! Seeya!

Manly Man

• Chronopolitan (+300)
  • Don't be a pussy. She looks legit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1438 on: November 19, 2011, 09:52:06 pm »
Not sure if Alaskans sell ice creams.

Just so you know, per capita, the most ice cream in the nation is sold in Alaska.

Truthordeal

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Dunno what's supposed to go here. Oh now I see.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Account
« Reply #1439 on: November 19, 2011, 10:46:36 pm »
Well, if you sell one person in Alaska an ice cream, you've sold it to 90% of the non-polar bear population.