Author Topic: Stuff you hate  (Read 168225 times)

KebreI

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • A true man never dies, even when he's killed
    • View Profile
Re: Stuff you hate
« Reply #990 on: February 06, 2010, 06:23:51 pm »
Gender != Sex.

Care to elaborate because as far as I am aware they are the same.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #991 on: February 06, 2010, 06:49:18 pm »
"Gender" in the way RD used it distinguishes the social meaning attached to physiology from the physiology itself ("sex" being the term used for the physiological aspect of being male or female). Although the difference between "gender" and "sex" is sometimes blurred in modern usage, it's still a very useful concept in, well, gender studies, heh.

In other words, merely having an XY chromosome set does not, in itself, make one a "man" in American society; being expected to buy a diamond ring for one's fiancee at Kay Jeweler's is one facet of what makes a male a "man." At least, this is the basic tenet of gender theory as I understand it.

If we use the term "gender" strictly in that sense, I wonder if it makes all of us who want to act outside the roles traditionally associated with our bodies "transgendered" in a way.

Truthordeal

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Dunno what's supposed to go here. Oh now I see.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Account
« Reply #992 on: February 06, 2010, 06:53:27 pm »
Quote from: Master KebreI, 12th Degree Masonic Judge

Care to elaborate because as far as I am aware they are the same.

Sex is biological; which set of organs you have. Gender is psychological and sociological; whether you're a manly man or a girly man, or whether you're a girly girl or a tomboy.

Transsexuals are people who believe they were born the wrong sex, and take measures to rectify this. Transgenders are people who deviate from the social gender norms.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #993 on: February 06, 2010, 06:54:21 pm »
Sex is an anatomical property determined by one's DNA and observed in the structure of an individual's genitals and secondary sexual characteristics. Among humans, there are male, female, transsexual, and intersex.

Gender is a social construct determined by behavioral roles adopted on the (dubious) premise that individuals should or will exhibit sex-specific personalities. Among humans, there are man, woman, transgendered, and several rarer others.

Also not to be mistaken with sex and gender is sexual orientation, which describes an individual's preference for a sexual partner's sex. Confusingly, sexual identity has nothing to do with the individual's own sex, but is nevertheless worded in terms of the individual's own sex with the words "heterosexual" and "homosexual" (but not "bisexual," "auto-sexual," "asexual," and others).

Edit: Clarification.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 06:56:22 pm by Lord J Esq »

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #994 on: February 23, 2010, 05:16:59 pm »
I didn't realize this until today, but Glenn Beck is left-handed. Thus he joins a particularly damnable club of infamous left-handers, like Pat Robertson and Osama bin Laden. This is the ultimate treachery. Beck is dead to me.

Sajainta

• Survivor of the Darkness
  • Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • Reporting live from Purgatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #995 on: February 23, 2010, 05:20:05 pm »
If it makes you feel any better J, my boyfriend is left-handed.  I think he's enough of a badass to even out the balance.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #996 on: February 23, 2010, 06:37:53 pm »
Good! That ought to go a long way toward undoing the ignominy brought upon our kind by the late Glenn Beck.

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #997 on: February 23, 2010, 06:45:27 pm »
To be fair, Coffee's so awesome (or so I've heard) that he doesn't even need to be handed. He can... um... move things which his mind. Yeah. And roundhouse kicks (or is that Chuck Norris?)

<.<

>.>

BUT! To be on topic:
I think it can count as a hate to say that I hate how un-understanding people tend to be of others. All too often our first reaction is that other people are sinister fiends, twirling their mustaches (included the women) and plotting how they can foil our moose-and-squirrel-esq plans. Just a willingness to attempt to see our foes as human beings is unfortunately rare.

... okay, maybe this counts more along the lines of something that makes me sad and depressed.

Truthordeal

• Dunno what's supposed to go here. Oh now I see.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Account
« Reply #998 on: February 23, 2010, 10:11:30 pm »
Bill Clinton, Barack Obama and Winston Churchill is/were all left handed. The way I see it, left-handedness might have about the same effect on your personality and ambitions as Sanpaku Eyes.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #999 on: February 23, 2010, 10:46:56 pm »
Yes, we know about you...

Sajainta

• View Profile
« Reply #1000 on: February 23, 2010, 11:34:47 pm »
I actually find myself telling random people that D is left-handed.  I just think it's so cool.  It's another thing about him that makes him unique and interesting.

A lot of my good friends have been left handed, actually...  My best friend in Scotland was left-handed and my current best friend (other than D) is left-handed.  Southpaws are drawn to me!  XD

Most people with synesthesia are left-handed, interestingly enough.  Left-handed, horrible at math, and have really good memories.  I have the latter two.  But I'm boring and right-handed.  :)

Also, J you are now over 4,000 posts and are Lavos!  :O

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile

Sajainta

• View Profile
« Reply #1003 on: February 26, 2010, 02:56:24 pm »
I hate the person I become when I am emotionally dead.  It terrifies me.

GenesisOne

• Bounty Seeker
  • "Time Travel? Possible? Don't make me laugh!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1004 on: February 26, 2010, 10:44:36 pm »

I hate the person I become when I am emotionally dead.  It terrifies me.

I hate the people that remind me of all the bad qualities I embody.  It's not good for morale.