Author Topic: SPC Inquiries  (Read 2418 times)

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
SPC Inquiries
« on: August 15, 2006, 03:36:33 pm »
I'm going to go ahead and disambiguate this from the News thread since it's of important value to Kajar Laboratories. I've been ripping the Compendium's own .spc archive of Chrono Trigger's music, and in hindsight, thank goodness I did. I've corrected numerous imperfections that have persisted in every .spc release prior. However, a couple things are confusing me:

People who Threw Away the Will to Live

The track's opening sounds different when activated by "activating" an NPC. Compare them here:

Laruba / Future BG Music:

http://cc.herograw.org/Zeality/ct-204.spc

Lucca's house / activating the song through Lara:

http://cc.herograw.org/Zeality/27%20People%20Who%20Threw%20Away%20the%20Will%20to%20Live.spc

Final Battle

I'm also having a problem with "Final Battle." Is there any reason why this, an old rip:

http://cc.herograw.org/Zeality/61%20-%20Last%20Battle.spc

Has louder and better sounding opening synths than this:

http://cc.herograw.org/Zeality/unheadered.spc

Which I just ripped? The latest SNESMusic.org's spc set has the same problem. The first link comes from an old spc set.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2006, 04:53:09 pm by ZeaLitY »

JLukas

• Fan Project Leader
  • Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
Re: SPC Inquiries
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2006, 07:47:51 pm »
Notes to self:

1DB [066B]

124 Laruba
009 Lara, [01E8]

Any other unresolved SPC issues?  Dungeon dripping noise?  Hidden Truth state change?

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2006, 10:29:30 pm »
Forgot about the dripping. Yeah, they've got an "Dungeon Dripping (Variant)". I'm about to listen and see if they merely ripped the song halfway through or something. I checked out the drip at Guardia Prison and Arris Dome Food Locker and I could not find any special commands.

Everything else is wrapped up. I was successfully able to use the change command to effect those changes in Hidden Truth, Chrono Trigger, and Lavos's Theme. And I've ripped them all. Chrono Trigger was especially important because every rip to date has started part two about one-two seconds farther in than the beginning of that section. This'll be the first proper rip.

JLukas

• Fan Project Leader
  • Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2006, 10:52:28 am »
Hrm, spent some time on this, interesting results.

People who Threw Away the Will to Live

At first I thought the activate version was a problem related specifically to the 1000 AD music, for example, the old SPC not being fully cleared out of memory.  BTW, I was using the piano man at the Snail Stop instead.  Then I tried 65m BC.  When you enter Laruba Ruins from the map, most of the time you get the ct-204.spc.  But, if you keep entering and exiting, eventually you'll get the activate variant.  You may need to wait a little bit on the overworld map before entering again, or Fast Forward the emulator.

I though maybe this was purely an emulator sound glitch.  So, I dug out my SNES console, and it actually happens on there, too.  In fact, there seems to be a third variant, unless I'm hearing things.  It sounds closer to #1 (ct-204.spc), but slower, if that makes sense.  Kind of the opposite of #2.  Try it out, see if you can get all three versions from Laruba.  No PAR cheats or anything are needed.  Anyone else reading this thread, if you can confirm it as well, that would be great.

Why is it happening?  I'm guessing it's just a little feature they added.  Unless it's some bug in the game's sound engine or something.  I wonder if any other songs are affected?

Final Battle

I hear the same differences, the one from the old set (I'll call it #1)  is louder, and sounds better.  Every .SPC capture I tried, however, gives the weaker newer version (#2)

If you mute the right speaker for #2, when the song begins (after the Lavos scream of course) you can hear a VERY clear volume drop.  This doesn't happen with #1.  But, listening to the song in the emulator (and again, on the actual SNES) it's very tough to say which SPC it matches more.  I think I hear the volume drop, but not drastic like SPC #2.  Overall, it sounds right between #1 and #2.  Thoughts?

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2006, 12:05:00 pm »
Perhaps we can compare with the Japanese version. Looks like Last Battle isn't in the Prerelease. And if I can get the third variant on Laruba, I'll rip it. I've been chasing down VGMixes all morning, so this'll be a fun break.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2006, 02:26:43 pm »
I see what you mean about Laruba. In one variant, the backing...thing isn't there at all, and all we hear is the low-toned single instrument at the beginning. On another, there's a backing one, but it only accentuates the low tone. And on the Lara's room one I ripped, the chord changes altogether. I'm going to get them all ripped.

I've confirmed that the dripping ambience alternate is just the dripping ambience begun at 0:35. I guess someone wasn't paying attention during ripping or was desperate for something new.

Edit: Got them all ripped. Seems like Lara/Snail Stop always starts with version 3, Laruba usually starts with version 2, and Arris Dome usually starts with version 1.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2006, 02:32:08 pm by ZeaLitY »

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2006, 02:35:18 pm »

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2006, 04:24:25 pm »
Triple post. Maybe the problem is ZSNES. I'm going to fire it up in Snes9x and try to rip it.

Edit: Snes9x gives the same thing. Now I'll try an age-old version of ZSNES.

No luck there, either. I wonder where that original one came from? I've made a thread at ZSNES HQ.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2006, 04:46:37 pm by ZeaLitY »