Author Topic: Retranslation discussion  (Read 16240 times)

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
Retranslation discussion
« on: May 25, 2006, 06:02:03 pm »
We will begin discussing things as they come to me in the retranslation. For now:

While in the NA version Belthasar simply states that he longs for Zeal in his pre-Epoch speech, in the Japanese version he directly states that he was building the Epoch precisely to take him home. Sadly, he died before he could accomplish this.

Nizbel confusingly notes in the NA version that "the great Nizbel was defeated here!" Nizbel originally was meant to say, "you can reach Azala only by getting through me, Nizbel...who came back!" He was triumphantly announcing his return.

Chapter 24: The Time Egg

Concerning the Nu who sleeps "beyond the flow of time," the Japanese version more directly states that time does not flow for this Nu any longer.

Though a minor detail, it is interesting to note that in the Japanese version, the Poyozo Dolls say "EXECUTING HIGHEST PROGRAM!" instead of merely "Executing Program."
« Last Edit: May 25, 2006, 06:38:24 pm by ZeaLitY »

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
Re: Retranslation discussion
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2006, 07:01:11 pm »
Interesting. The Poi Soup is really "Rock Crash Cocktail." The entire group of adventures gets plastered from that party. Everyone has a hang over and Ayla throws up at the Reptite Lair instead of burping.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2006, 03:53:35 pm »
Hugely important line left out of the NA version:

This planet WILL recoVER.

She wasn't trying to eliminate humans and sustain the spawn with a nation of steel. She was merely looking forward to the recovery of the planet and a new civilization of robots; a mission to stop the spawn had nothing to do with it. It's also important because the PLANET WILL RECOVER. There is hope yet for the planets scourged with Lavos.

Chrono'99

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2006, 04:45:25 pm »
I'm confused, did she want the robots to live together with the Lavos spawns or wait for the spawns to quit the planet?

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2006, 04:48:01 pm »
In the English version, she just says "We could sustain them, if only you humans weren't here." In the Japanese version, all she says is "This planet will recover...I'm going to build a nation of steel" and whatnot.

GreenGannon

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2006, 05:31:21 pm »
But was she talking about the planet itself, or simply the future of non-organics on the planet?

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2006, 05:47:44 pm »
The game suggests that the planet will recover anyway, and that she just wants to push humans out so she can lay claim to the entire planet.

This planet WILL recoVER.
   If only humans weren't here...…

And the new world of we robots WOULD be
   constructed.
   A country of iron...... a utopia with neither
   hatred nor sorrow.

Chrono'99

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2006, 05:52:50 pm »
That's very important indeed. It would mean that the Lavos species doesn't actually destroy entire planet ecosystems. On a very large timescale, it's not a menace to the universe since victim planets recover...

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2006, 06:02:18 pm »
Here's another big thing. Dreamstone wasn't used as money! Melchior only states that it was valued above gold in ancient times. It was never a currency.

Magus22

• Bounty Hunter
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Jean-Luc Picard says "It's time for Chrono Break".
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2006, 08:09:07 pm »
Quote from: Melchior: Chrono Trigger NA version
You can't find it anymore. It was a red stone that was once used as money. Unfortunately, it hasn't been available for a very long time.

So the retranslation basically throws out the whole fact that Dreamstone was used as money. But why?

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2006, 09:55:49 pm »
Because Ted Woolsey basically threw in the whole concept of Dreamstone being used as money when he originally translated the game.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2006, 10:35:29 pm »
Gaspar: Yes, it's a battle between this planet and Lavos......!

That's a little more specific than "entire world." Because of the use of the planet elsewhere in the Chrono mythology, I'm going to say this is the last 1% needed for 100% Planet = Entity.

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2006, 04:34:39 am »
Nizbel confusingly notes in the NA version that "the great Nizbel was defeated here!" Nizbel originally was meant to say, "you can reach Azala only by getting through me, Nizbel...who came back!" He was triumphantly announcing his return.

I liked the old way. I know I'm giving Nizbel far too much credit with this interpretation, but I recently came to view "The great Nizbel was defeated here!" as a somewhat powerful statement. Here, the greatest warrior of the most powerful race on the planet has realized that his time is running out. I find it thematically coherent with Azala's acknowledgement of the defeat of the Reptites, but asking Ayla to remember the fight they put up. In my intepretation, Nizbel came to that difficult realization that it was all over for him, but was, in his way, asking for respect, a chance to bow out gracefully.

Chrono'99

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2006, 05:50:16 am »
How did Nizbel ressurect anyway??

GreenGannon

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2006, 11:55:42 am »
I dunno. He forgot to die the first time around?