Author Topic: Want a new Chrono game?  (Read 90086 times)

Lady Marle

• Enlightened One (+200)
  • Princess Nadia of Guardia a.k.a. Marle
    • View Profile
    • find me on deviantArt
Re: Want a new Chrono game?
« Reply #210 on: January 07, 2011, 02:48:56 pm »
i would BUY a DS for chrono.

True story... I DID buy a DS specifically for Chrono Trigger's release on it. I was happy with the re-translation however I did miss Frog's old dialect. He still had it but it was less Shakespearean. Oh well... But I was the first in my group of friends to buy it and many followed soon after XD

Anyway, on the subject of the potential new Chrono game, I understand the desire to have one. I think it could go multiple different directions. All I'm saying is I'd like to see something that ties the three games previous together in the fourth one. I've seen a lot of fan projects that did well and received cease and desists before their completion (You'd think they'd take a hint...), among them such projects as Crimson Echos :kz (which I REALLY wanted to play...) but alas, we cannot have nice things.  :(

I know it all comes down to dollars and cents. No matter how much we all muse and dream, it all comes down to that. Apart of me wishes we could all merge together with everything we have... fan-art, fan-made merchandise, fanfiction, discussion, fan's letters (respectful, of course) and make a book then send it to SquareEnix Japan and America and be like "Look, here is what you COULD be doing and what we'd be willing to support." The compendium of all of that would be HUGE but perhaps send a strong message. It's been done before when fans back something they love such as TV shows and series previously mentioned in this thread. I think the letters idea started here was wonderful and the more people who actually write the better!

I'd love to see another game in the series. I think it could be wonderful if they reassembled the original "Dream Team" for it. It's been 15 years so far, hopefully we can inspire something to be done all this time later... I mean, hell if they can beat the Final Fantasy series like a dead horse, why not this one? I can dream ^.^

Crono666

• Guardian (+100)
  • Queen Zeal is best Waifu
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #211 on: February 04, 2011, 03:46:12 pm »
A part of me has hope that we will get a new Chrono game. I never thought that Nintendo would give us Donkey Kong Country fans a new game, but after seeing, and playing Donkey Kong Country Returns I got this hopeful feeling for the future of games. It really seems like there's a retro revival going on right now.
Then again Square-Enix might just keep milking the Final Fantasy games for all there worth.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #212 on: February 04, 2011, 08:04:47 pm »
Uh, DKC was Rare, not Nintendo..."retro revival" is just the gaming industry's term for "reboot", which you may have noted is also happening elsewhere and has been for a while now....

As for SE, I think they're just letting Nomura do w/e since they know it'll make 'em moneys and because they've always got DQ to fall back on (& them KH games are pretty popular too I hear and they also publish all Taito & Eidos games now...) if the FF moneytrain ever does anything but chug along...I just want FFVI for 3DS.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: February 04, 2011, 09:27:07 pm »
True story... I DID buy a DS specifically for Chrono Trigger's release on it. I was happy with the re-translation however I did miss Frog's old dialect. He still had it but it was less Shakespearean. Oh well... But I was the first in my group of friends to buy it and many followed soon after XD

Same here! I finally got my Nintendo DS in order to get Chrono Trigger... Wise investment. And not just for Chrono Trigger!

Lady Marle

• Enlightened One (+200)
  • Princess Nadia of Guardia a.k.a. Marle
    • View Profile
    • find me on deviantArt
« Reply #214 on: February 06, 2011, 12:01:50 am »

Same here! I finally got my Nintendo DS in order to get Chrono Trigger... Wise investment. And not just for Chrono Trigger!

Agreed. I have a lot of other great games on it :)

ShinGundam

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: February 06, 2011, 05:34:49 am »
Uh, DKC was Rare, not Nintendo..."retro revival" is just the gaming industry's term for "reboot", which you may have noted is also happening elsewhere and has been for a while now....

As for SE, I think they're just letting Nomura do w/e since they know it'll make 'em moneys and because they've always got DQ to fall back on (& them KH games are pretty popular too I hear and they also publish all Taito & Eidos games now...) if the FF moneytrain ever does anything but chug along...I just want FFVI for 3DS.
Chrono, Saga and other Square/Enix IPs aren't expanding because producers who work on these games aren't interested in making games anymore. Tanaka isn't interested in Chrono that is why we don't have a new Chrono game. Also, outside of Nomura, no producer at Square-Enix has produced a real hit in years. It really has nothing to do with the sales of the DS remake and everything to do with there not being any team leader at Square-Enix who wants to spearhead a Chrono series.

ZealKnight

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Loyal Knight of the Kingdom of Zeal
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: March 01, 2011, 07:37:20 pm »
It's funny how everyone kind of forgot about KH until Birth by Sleep, good thing it was well done too. It pretty much was KH3, except you know Sora was not the main character. But KH is very well planed. I dont think he wants to make more than a trilogy, which is why he is milking it in between for all it's worth. But correct, Nomura seems to be the only real producer SE has and does his job properly. But now he needs to stop making dissidia, finish VS13, make KH3, and start FF15! Honestly, I wouldn't mind Kato and Mitsuda teaming up with Nomura for Brake.

HeadlessFritz

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: March 11, 2011, 04:51:40 pm »
KH is actually the only series I enjoy from Square right now. There are also... remakes of old games if that counts !

Iyellalot

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: April 17, 2011, 03:39:30 pm »
I personally don't want a new Chrono game if Kato's the only one writing the script. I no longer trust him with the original Chrono Trigger cast after Chrono Cross.

GenesisOne

• Bounty Seeker
  • "Time Travel? Possible? Don't make me laugh!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: April 17, 2011, 05:43:49 pm »

I personally don't want a new Chrono game if Kato's the only one writing the script. I no longer trust him with the original Chrono Trigger cast after Chrono Cross.

The purpose of Chrono Cross was not to be an actual sequel to Chrono Trigger. As such, the cast was different, and Kato was simply handling different characters. I'd still trust him with a new Chrono game.

Getting back in touch with your creative roots is like riding a bike: you never forget.

Iyellalot

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: April 19, 2011, 10:10:47 pm »
Yeah, but if he did make a true sequel, he'd probably write things that go on and on about how the original Chrono Trigger cast were terrible people for wanting to save the future, and how time travel is bad, and how the original game's central theme of creating your own destiny is inherently wrong, thus completely missing the point of what the franchise is supposed to be.

Then he'd kill off the cast in the least satisfying way possible.

GenesisOne

• Bounty Seeker
  • "Time Travel? Possible? Don't make me laugh!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: April 19, 2011, 10:29:41 pm »

Well, Iye, you know what they say about assuming: I can't assume that you're wrong, but I can't that you're right, either. Or "it makes an 'ass' out of 'u' and 'me'"

If you could actually prove to me that Kato would write such things in what you assume to be a "true sequel", I'd be more inclined to believe it. But to say such a pretentious thing about Kato's content without any proof is, well, very pretentious.

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: April 20, 2011, 04:58:31 am »
Gotta agree with Genesis on this one. It's Kato's job to write stories good enough to drive people to play through one of the most time consuming forms of art in the world. That's his job, as far as we know that's all he does. Since he's one of the reasons CT is so good, and since he's still doing it, it is safe to assume he's good at it. The main problems with CC, imo, were a result of SE bigwigs and board-types getting too involved, setting restrictive deadlines, pressuring for more characters, new battle system, new magic, and other stuff that takes time they didn't have.

If anything, Iyell might be confusing Kato as being "The Man" like the oppressive president of ShinraEnix is "The Man" when it's really more like how Blue Rocket Johnny is "The Man"

tushantin

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • Under Your Moonlight, Stealing Your Stars
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #223 on: April 21, 2011, 01:15:04 pm »
Yeah, when in working in the media industry, be it film, music or gaming, the deadlines are pretty unreasonable most of the time and for any fuck-ups the under-workers are blamed for it. Still, deadlines are good things nevertheless. Artists/writers who can make their stuff in all its glory despite their rush hold my respect.

Iyellalot

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: April 26, 2011, 04:30:17 pm »
Even if he was being pressured by Square executives, he still had the gall to kill off Lucca and Robo, imply the deaths of Crono and Marle, have Porre overthrow Guardia, and retcon Lavos's defeat so that it made him substantially more powerful, essentially voiding anything the original CT cast fought for.

Saying Kato is one of the reasons that CT was so awesome is like saying George Lucas is the reason the original Star Wars trilogy was good; both are true, but it's also true that Lucas is one of the reasons that the prequels suck, and it's also true that Kato is at least partially responsible for CC playing out like a poorly-written attempt at a "darker and edgier" fanfic.