Author Topic: Want a new Chrono game?  (Read 90013 times)

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
Re: Want a new Chrono game?
« Reply #135 on: January 24, 2010, 02:21:16 am »
But, honestly, I've never seen another fan community like this. Perhaps I'm not looking in the right places online. But I've never seen this much devoted to a video game. The Mario Bros don't get this kind of analysis and half crazed, frothing at the mouth collection of theory and they've made ten million games starring them (granted that's a different company, but the principle is the same).

Mario also happens to have a bazillion more hacks than our beloved series...I think them Mother/Earthbound folk get almost as high up there on the fandom meter though...Halo too, really...and the FF series if you count that (there are a couple sites that get to nigh-Compendium status on that front)...

ShoeMagus

• Guardian (+100)
  • "We are...the dreamers of Dreams."
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: January 24, 2010, 04:15:33 am »
I would expect FF sites to maybe get to this point. I can hear all the mad theories about how VII and X take place on the same planet/world/universe. Still, I think sites like this are pretty rare.

Another thing: Chrono Cross, when it was released, sold something like 1.5 million copies. Granted this is not the seller that the FF titles are. But isn't that motivation enough for another sequel? Do they really have to resell both games before they're motivated? Granted the FF series eclipsed these sales (making a killing with FF VIII and IX). But look at other series. They've continued the Mana series. Don't get me wrong, I like the Mana series and everything. I loved Secret of Mana. But Chrono Cross outsold Legend of Mana which was also released in 1999/2000.

These are all numbers gleaned from Wiki, so I may be horribly wrong in my perception. But from purely a numbers point of view, Cross did way better and would be far more logical for another game. Not only did it sell more, it got what seems to be unanimously better reviews. The only possible factor would be the rumored "politics" of getting the Chrono team together, but even that doesn't seem so hard with so many of the main people working either with Square or just closely to them.

Toan

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: January 24, 2010, 05:00:15 am »
Of course. Chrono Cross is much better than half of the games that SE remakes, like Valkyrie profile. If you go to the game rankings site, Cross is number 128th for all of the games made so far. Trigger is 13th. That isn't half as bad, considering the fact that Cross beats some of the FF's. I just say give SE some time, if they remake games like Secret of Mana and whatnot, they have to remake gems like Cross.

It would be nice if they graphically revamped Cross in addition to some voice actors (like what they did with FFIV). Although it would be rather difficult to voice some of the characters. >.>

Dapifer

• Guardian (+100)
  • Semper Fidelis, Usque Ad Mortem
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: January 24, 2010, 05:03:07 am »
Well... Cross sold more copies, but I wouldn't say it was better than Valkyrie Profile, it's just that VP was a true sleeper hit.

Still, I see your point though, Front Mission gets another game but Chronoverse? Only gets shafted...

I don't think Cross is getting a remake, a port maybe, but not a remake like FF IV. Highly unlikely IMHO.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2010, 05:17:47 am by Dapifer »

Toan

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: January 24, 2010, 01:46:42 pm »
Well, I made that statement that Cross was better than VP through reviews that I have read. If Cross received a port, I would think it would get new dialogue scenes and/or FMV's. They would have to add some new things.

ZealKnight

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Loyal Knight of the Kingdom of Zeal
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: January 24, 2010, 03:48:01 pm »
VP is exactly made by SE. Tri-Ace would definitely remake that and bring another sequel.

Dapifer

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: January 24, 2010, 04:54:04 pm »
VP has already a sort of port with added features, and a sequel for the PS2 (Silmeria) and I think one more game.

I am not defending the game, I like Cross, but let's face it, SE just doesn't care for the Chronoverse.

ZealKnight

• View Profile
« Reply #142 on: January 24, 2010, 05:42:12 pm »
Oh I know. I mean they would do it again. TA only has VP and SO. Hopefully EndOfEternity will do well. Point is you cant compare Valkyrie Profile to Chrono.

Dapifer

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: January 24, 2010, 07:28:21 pm »
Exactly, specially since Tri-Ace is behind VP, whereas Chrono's dream team has all but diluted into SE, mistwalk, monolithsoft etc.(I could be wrong here)

I don't really know where they are at the moment, and nevertheless, SE doesn't really seems to care for the Chronoverse anyways.

Still, we can dream, and I am still hoping a new chrono game happens, perhaps the next generation of SE developers would be Chrono fans and would push for it.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #144 on: January 25, 2010, 11:44:15 am »
The main people necessary to continue the Chrono series are Kato & Mitsuda, who as far as I know are both currently freelance (having recently worked with Sega)...

Toan

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: January 25, 2010, 06:59:40 pm »
I don't think that completely limits the idea of a Cross Remake/Port. I believe Mitsuda and Kato were both freelancers when Trigger received its port.

ZealKnight

• View Profile
« Reply #146 on: January 25, 2010, 09:32:07 pm »
I don't think that completely limits the idea of a Cross Remake/Port. I believe Mitsuda and Kato were both freelancers when Trigger received its port.

Except Wada is cheap. He would never pay someone to make a game when he has FF.

_Janus_

• Porrean (+50)
  • The Ruin of Zeal
    • View Profile
    • diamonddeoxys.hi5.com
« Reply #147 on: February 11, 2010, 12:15:03 pm »
Well,earlier this week SE announced they were working on 5 projects, two of them have been revealed: KH3 and Deus EX:Human Revolution.

Let's hope that, on the other 3 there's at least a port of CC for the PSP

ZealKnight

• View Profile
« Reply #148 on: February 11, 2010, 06:07:17 pm »
No one said it was Square of Japan. And also I can assure you one is FF15. Im telling you that will be E3's announcement. And it will be multi platform until they see the sales of 13 on the 360. Then it will be pure PS3. But do we have anything on KH3? or just that its being made? Also we know of a FF7 project too. That leaves one we don't know.

_Janus_

• Porrean (+50)
  • The Ruin of Zeal
    • View Profile
    • diamonddeoxys.hi5.com
« Reply #149 on: February 12, 2010, 09:01:30 am »
KH3 was just confirmed, no platform announced.
What FFVII project?Another sequel/prequel?Square already said that they weren't going to remake VII for the PS3, so...