Author Topic: did anyone else think that ff7 and the chrono games had alot in common  (Read 6333 times)

Lynx

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
for some reason Sepheroth reminds me of Magus they kinda look alike to me.
also Kid and Aries both get stabbed!?
and Jenova and Fate seem to have a simalar them, or is it just me?

Sentenal

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
Oh yeah, and both Cloud and Crono use a sword!  And both Robo and [insert FF7 robot here] are both robots!

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile

Good observation. Many of these similarities draw from themes which are common throughout Japanese epic fantasy in general and Square's games in particular. Square has formularized epic fantasy and they are very comfortable with sticking to their formula, so you'll see the same stuff in different games. Additionally, many of the same people in the classic RPG era worked on multiple games, including some staff overlap between Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy VII, and people tend to stick to what they know even more than a company sticks to a winning formula. Some similarities are to be expected.

Meanwhile, in the broader sense, what we're seeing when we look at all these similarities is a reflection of Japanese culture, at least as it is defined by the game developers. Morose, go-it-alone male swordsmen and virtuous women who are made into sacrifices are common themes in modern Japanese fantasy, much like our proverbial "damsel in distress" or "knight in shining armor" here in the West! If you get out there and watch more anime, you'll see plenty of innocent women die and plenty of sullen men struggle with a dark past. And, indeed, there are many other common themes to keep an eye out for.

Magus22

• Bounty Hunter
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Jean-Luc Picard says "It's time for Chrono Break".
    • View Profile

Put up a *SPOILER* warning before posting stuff like this next time for the people who haven't played through these games yet :)

Lynx

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
sorry bout that! LOL

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
Well, for other games, I'd guess you watch the spoilers. But the Chrono Compendium is one gargantuan spoiler for the Chrono series.

nobody

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
I'll agree with LJ that Japan's entertainment products share similar themes, including the stupid "Man With A Past" one.
I shamefully admit, I was sucked into it:  I remember guys like in Vampire Hunter: D, who, to me, were so cool, with capes and cool shadows and sillouettes, with a dark and mysterious "Past" they were trying to redeem themselves of.  To be truthful, however, such a profile, put together from bits and pieces of sound psychology, is really psychologically inconsistent.  While certain elements are indeed, truthful, such as the seriousness and reluctancy to talk, these realistic traits conflict with another little piece they throw in, the guilt over having a bad past.  In truth, a mind realistically guilty cannot be confident of itself, and these brave characters almost always portray confidence in their quests.  Additionally, it is very, very hard to always feel guilt--too much guilt can stress the mind into acting out.  Being brave, silent, and virtuous is one thing--this whole "Past" nonsense is quite another.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
Sephiroth wishes he was as badass as Magus.

grey_the_angel

• Alternate Primary Member
  • CC:ALSAT project leader/sole member >.>
    • View Profile
Sephiroth wishes he was as badass as Magus.
and they both wish they were as badass was kefka was  :D

Lynx

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
but they will never dress as good as Lynx..............

grey_the_angel

• View Profile
but they will never dress as good as Lynx..............
who will also remind me of zechs, for some reason.

Chrono'99

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
Lynx's clothes are surprisingly out of place for someone who hangs around in a tropical, hot and very sunny archipelago.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
Lynx's clothes are surprisingly out of place for someone who hangs around in a tropical, hot and very sunny archipelago.

Banana republic, man!

grey_the_angel

• View Profile
well, he's not from el nido techinically.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2006, 09:52:50 am by grey_the_angel »

GreenGannon

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
...Yeah he is. His body comes from El Nido, and FATE created him while in El Nido.