Author Topic: Lawless?  (Read 2124 times)

PhantomBPR

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
Lawless?
« on: April 23, 2006, 08:50:03 pm »
When Yakra is killed and the Queen is saved, the Chancellor distinctly mentions that the kingdom shall make a justice system for such criminals, this is of course, forshadowing to Crono's trial when he returned to 1000AD. So my question is, prior to Crono's time traveling, did Gardia have a justice system? Of course, one could also say that when Frog saved the Queen, the same events occured (so to speak). If it were not for Crono being found guilty, the team would have never escaped to the future and therefore probably would not have learned of Lavos.

GreenGannon

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
Re: Lawless?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2006, 08:51:46 pm »
Either way the Chancellor implemented the same system.

PhantomBPR

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2006, 08:52:53 pm »
Either way the Chancellor implemented the same system.

How do we know that?

GreenGannon

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2006, 09:08:37 pm »
Because we have no reason to think differently.

PhantomBPR

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2006, 09:10:28 pm »

However I do. Before you go back in time, we have no proof that there is any established law at all, I don't belive anybody mentions anything even remotely hinting the fact that there is a justice system. I know it sounds crazy, but if we get technical, it becomes a very interesting question.

Ramsus

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2006, 10:13:32 pm »
If you ask me, the "creating a new justice system" dialog was probably just foreshadowing for Crono's arrest and trial.

One also must point out the lack of any dialog saying their wasn't any sort of justice system. Under such circumstances, discussion is limited to exploring ideas, since there is no way to determine which is closer to reality. Either way, it works just fine.

So in that vein, please continue with the discussion.

GreenGannon

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2006, 10:20:54 pm »

However I do. Before you go back in time, we have no proof that there is any established law at all, I don't belive anybody mentions anything even remotely hinting the fact that there is a justice system. I know it sounds crazy, but if we get technical, it becomes a very interesting question.

Of course we don't have any proof of established law, because no one's done anything that would break it. That's along the same vein as saying that Crono might not have a father, because we've never seen him.

In any case, the Chancellor created the legal system because he was kidnapped and poorly treated. That always happened, Crono just changed time so that Frog wasn't the only one who saved them. Why would a detail like that change the Chancellor's motives?

Zaperking

• Radical Dreamer (+2000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2006, 03:14:05 am »
Guardia may have had a not so extreme law system prior to the event. But after that, we see that a Dragon Tank was in the making, theres a tower above the castle where prisoners are, or behind the castle.

Sentenal

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2006, 03:17:10 am »
Used to think that Crono's intervention caused the court system to be built.  But then I asked myself:  What about Crono saving Leene and the Chancellor caused the justice system to be established?  Only that Leene and the Chancellor was save.  And then I remmber that they were saved in the first place, so Crono isn't nessisary for the court to be founded.  So via logic, it was there before Crono timetraveled.

Chrono'99

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2006, 04:40:04 am »
Fritz is absent at the beginning of the game... but this fact doesn't prove anything unfortunately. He could have been put to jail with or without justice system... he could even be dead before Crono interfers in the past.

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2006, 07:11:05 am »
Maybe before the justice system was made there wasn't a firmly in place system, and punishments were carried out by the judge just giving the punishment. I mean, there were jails :roll:

Legend of the Past

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2006, 02:17:33 pm »
The intresting part is that we can't go into the class and explore the castle, i.e., The Court Room and\or prison prior to Crono's getting arrested. Hence, we can't know for sure, but then again, I'm sure that was intended by the developers: They didn't feel like making two Guardia Castles, so instead they made sure you can't explore the place.

I'd like to think there WAS a law system prior to Crono's intervention. No one's to say there wasn't a Prison block or Dragon Tank prior to Crono's changes. Also, I doubt a lawless nation could survive for long-Yakra's children would of exacted his revenge much earlier had it been so.

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2006, 05:21:38 am »
Or maybe the Dragon Tanks were meant for something more sinister, more devious, more horrifying than what we expected.
Prison blocks too...

ChronoMagus

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2006, 06:07:29 pm »
I am going to assume there was a law system in place before Crono's intervention.  There really is no reason there wouldn't be a law system.  The Dragon Tank I doubt was supposed to be used for that though.  The Chancellor, being Yakra's decendant, was a bit hyper and used it...

DeweyisOverrated

• Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2006, 03:35:11 am »
The law system was probably implemented after Frog saved the Queen from Yakra in the original, uniterrupted timeline (what is that called? Keystone-1?).

Keep in mind, while Crono & Co. do change a lot of events, they also jsut act as "witnesses" in a lot of events that would ahve hapenned regardless anyway.  One example being the fight with Azala/Black Tyranno.  Obviously, Ayla was able to defeat them in the original, uniterrupted timeline without Crono & Co's help.

My point is, I believe that the King, after Frog saved the Queen by himself sand Crono & Co, made the same decision at the same time, that decision being to "make a justice system blah blah".