Author Topic: Writing pet peeves  (Read 6044 times)

Ramsus

Writing pet peeves
« on: March 29, 2006, 06:52:12 am »
Here are just a few of mine:

• Bad spelling and grammar. If it takes more effort to read than it did to write, you didn't spend enough time writing it.
  • Giant blocks of text. If a paragraph is bigger than my head, I won't read it.
  • Big words. If there's a more common word with the same meaning, use it.
  • Riddles. If it can mean several different things in the same context, it's bullshit. Leave the vague implications to fortune tellers and politicians.
  • [/list:u]

Now that I've offended you, does anyone else have pet peeves when it comes to writing style that they'd like to share?

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
Writing pet peeves
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2006, 07:33:49 am »
I like your style Ramsus. I agree with them all, but with the big words, sometimes when you use "then" for the 90th time, its time to give it a break. But I pretty much agree with you on that point too. It's really because kids are brought up to learn "Exotic words are good! Smoke Malboro cigarettes!"

Magus22

• Bounty Hunter
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Jean-Luc Picard says "It's time for Chrono Break".
    • View Profile
Writing pet peeves
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2006, 11:00:17 am »
yea the list is good

no prob here

yah mon

Maelstrom

• Architect of Kajar
  • Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
Writing pet peeves
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2006, 11:11:12 am »
* Overbearing avertising
* Anyone smoking in the general vicinity of anywhere I need to go
* People who want everything they believe is wrong, minus the things they personally want to do, to be illegal (bigots?)
* On that note, hypocrites
* People who BS and believe BS

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
Writing pet peeves
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2006, 04:08:51 pm »
Uhh...he meant for writing...

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
Writing pet peeves
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2006, 07:53:52 pm »
* People who confuse your/you're, its/it's, and there/their/they're. I can't stand it. They can't get these right for the life of them. I even see this stuff in newspaper articles and official literature nowadays. It's crazy.

* People who won't capitalize because they don't like capitalism, or are trying to be cool, or are lazy.

* People who think they know grammar and don't. (This might include people who critically point out that my post contains many sentence fragments, for instance.)

* Excessive exclamation or interrogative marks (!!!?!?!?!!!), and people who can't make it through a paragraph without ALLCAPS.

* People who can't evolve beyond simple sentences. (I except younger folks who are still learning.)

* People who resent "big" words. Sorry Ramsus; I can agree that using words pedantically is a drag that slows down the pace of reading and generally serves to build the opposite-than-intended impression of the author. But big words don't exist just to obfuscate meaning; they exist to communicate ideas down to a very subtle level. Anyone who says there aren't words enough to express his or her thoughts, needs a bigger vocabulary.

That about covers it...for now.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
Writing pet peeves
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2006, 08:19:00 pm »
Mine are the words "u" and "ur".

Ramsus

Writing pet peeves
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2006, 08:33:27 pm »
What bothers me isn't "big words," but the use of them in place of more common words when there is no difference in meaning or tone. Big words are supposed to make your sentences clearer and more concise, not longer.

AuraTwilight

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
Writing pet peeves
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2006, 11:07:40 pm »
The people who find it somehow less offensive to just censor a word or to use a weenie version of it like heck. If you're gonna swear, just f*cking do it. (LOL IRONIE!)

Or the people who think it's cool to use japanese words and suffixes in the middle of an english conversation. Japanese language is not a bunch of buzzwords! Either speak English or speak Japanese. If you go "Omg you are KAWAIII ^____^" I will fucking stab you with a damn fork. In the FACE!

Also, you get five bonus stabs if you use it incorrectly, like "You baka" or "Konnichiwa" at 5 PM. Or heck, calling someone "Name-sama-sensei-sama-chan"

>.< RAWWWWWR! *Randomly stabs some poor forumer in the face. Hopefully Zaper or something*

DeweyisOverrated

• Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
Writing pet peeves
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2006, 12:48:46 am »
Quote from: Magus22
yea the list is good

no prob here

Writing styles like this.  No capitalization, punctuation, and feeling the need to double space between every sentence (aka no paragraphs).  And Lord J, I'm going to have to disagree with you about the "giving exceptions to people who are still learning".  This is a forum, involving very complex and involved stories.  If you are old enough to play them, and even understand some of them, and talk in the forums, you should be able to have a basic concept of how to write at least a somewhat legible and organized post.

And this doesn't technically fall into the "writing" category, but it falls into the forum category.... which is people who have avatars that fall in the range of 500X400 - 600 X 800 pixels... and then wonder why the spacing came out all weird after they hit the submit button.

Daniel Krispin

Writing pet peeves
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2006, 01:15:42 am »
Very good things have been said, particularly by Ramsus and Lord J, and I generally agree with them all.

Those should be the rules. However, with all rules, they can be broken at times. Particularly, those governing the complexity of words.

Now, generally, I'll agree with you. That, in fact, is one of my own issues with writing - using overly long, technical, complex, or worst of all, inordinately antiquated words, particularly in fantasy writing. To speak for myself, I used to use, say, oft for often, aught for anything, but in time found these all to be rather too assuming and false-sounding, and ammended nearly all of them to their modern equivalent. The same goes for most anything using the older pronouns. Whence, wither, and the like, are marginal. Also annoying are the complex ones, but I'll get to that later.
However, there are some times when the rules can be broken. When I write, I sometimes draw things out, for example, and very, very often use two words where one would do, if I happen to like the sound of the two. Now, this is for the cause of feeling. Not everyone will like it, I'm certain (for example, making use of the Epic Simile will not make people favour my writing, I'm certain. Not that I use it much, but at times my simile will go on for several sentences.) Now, the vindication is this: I'm doing that in the service of style. I'm trying to bring across a certain mood (in this case, semi-epic), and the word choice, and syntax, must reflect that. For epic, it must be ponderous, and so on. The same word choice will obviously not work everywhere. Here's an example from a fantasy story I read, a choice of words that really caught my eye as wrong. In speaking of a sunrise, the author used 'conflagration'. Now, maybe it is just me, but that's a bloated word for a sunrise in a fantasy story. For a contemporary story, it's admissable, but something meant to be in a middle-ages setting? Why not merely use 'fire', or modify 'fire' with some other adjective, rather than use such a fancy word? Now, I will myself use fancy words (many of which I later return to remove in favor of more common ones, seeing it as a foolish decision), ie. sigaldry (that's just my favorite, so it's staying in despite of its obsolete nature), array... whatever. The main point is, however, that one keeps true to the feel. I like to experiment with words, with syntax... whatever.

But in the end, what's important is that it keeps true to the feel, and that it doesn't sound as if you've just used a thesaurus to find a fancy synonymn. I think that's the middle ground there - and likely what both Ramsus and Lord J were speaking of. Use big words, yes... but ONLY if you know what you're doing, if you're doing it for a reason, and have control of it. If it serves no more purpose than attempting to make oneself appear clever, it's a bad thing.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
Writing pet peeves
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2006, 02:27:45 am »
Quote from: DeweyisOverrated
And Lord J, I'm going to have to disagree with you about the "giving exceptions to people who are still learning".

I was thinking when I wrote that of little first-grade schoolkids. You won't find a bigger opponent of the ignorance excuse than me, but this is not that; you cannot expect young children to master the full depths of the structure, grammar, and diction of a language simply overnight.

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
Writing pet peeves
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2006, 03:18:06 am »
Quote from: Lord J esq

* People who won't capitalize because they don't like capitalism*

Gold.

~ People that use the word Da instead of The

One thing I noticed from my MSN contacts list, who is mainly filled with Chinese (read on and don't call me a racist!), is that they ALWAYS have Chinese characters in their nick name. It bloody annoys me! I mean, I bet half of their contact list won't even get it! And they do the same at school, blurting out random Chinese words.
That and random symbols, like making "Love is like the wind. You can't see it but you can feel it." into "LÕvË í§ Lÿk ÐÅ WïÑd::ü ©Ãñt sÉÈ ïT::3ut ú ¢åñ ƒêè£ ÏT»-"

AuraTwilight

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
Writing pet peeves
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2006, 04:58:58 am »
They're chinese and you're expecting them to use English? >_> That's stupid.

Tonjevic

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
Writing pet peeves
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2006, 05:48:17 am »
Chinese people who live in Australia. These are people of Chinese descent, but speak english perfectly well. I think...