Poll

Is the media's coverage of violence, death, destruction, and chaos in Iraq causing us to lose the war?

Yes.
1 (10%)
No.
9 (90%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Voting closed: March 27, 2006, 03:53:26 am

Author Topic: CBS Iraq War Journalist Lara Logan: Hero of the Day  (Read 2440 times)

GrayLensman

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
    • View Profile
CBS Iraq War Journalist Lara Logan: Hero of the Day
« Reply #45 on: March 31, 2006, 11:44:18 pm »
Didn't the Mexicans invade Texas, or was it the other way around?

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
« Reply #46 on: April 01, 2006, 01:31:55 am »
Quote from: Radical_Dreamer
Quote from: Burning Zeppelin
Just wondering, when did another nation actually invade America and attack the people? And I'm not including the British here. Pearl Harbour was just stupid, and so was 9/11.

Pearl Harbour and 9/11 weren't invasions, they were bombings. No ground troops were sent in. The last time America was invaded was by Japan during WWII, though. For part of the war, Japan held some of the Aleutian Islands; the archapelego stretching west from Alaska.

Whoops, sorry, worded it wrong. I was just trying to say that America wasn't often invaded, and that the two big aircraft attacks were small compared to things happening in other countries.

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
« Reply #47 on: April 01, 2006, 01:35:48 am »
Just wondering, when did another nation actually invade America and attack the people? And I'm not including the British here. Pearl Harbour was just stupid, and so was 9/11.

Pearl Harbour and 9/11 weren't invasions, they were bombings. No ground troops were sent in. The last time America was invaded was by Japan during WWII, though. For part of the war, Japan held some of the Aleutian Islands; the archapelego stretching west from Alaska.

Whoops, sorry, worded it wrong. I was just trying to say that America wasn't often invaded, and that the two big aircraft attacks were small compared to things happening in other countries.

While the amount of people killed relative to the total U.S. population was indeed less than what many nations have gone through in recent times, the effects of those attacks would better be measured in the effect of the United State's reaction to them. This is a country that does not respond well to being attacked at home.

Sentenal

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 01, 2006, 02:12:04 am »

Okay, whats your damn point?  So they weren't as big as say, Germany invading Poland.  So what?  If a country is attacked, it should move to defend itself, and remove the threat.

As to Grey's question, Mexico invaded Texas, or at least sent troops to fight there, but it wasn't part of the US then.  It had alot of US settlers in it.  Meh, the history of the American-Mexican war isn't one of my strong points.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 01, 2006, 02:40:30 pm »
The British burned our White House and such in 1812. After failing to retain colonial rule over the pre-US, as well as various European intrigues that set our interests at odds, relations with our current best ally were far from pleasant. I paraphrase:

Quote from: The British
Those three little pigs think they're so tough;
Well, if I can't blow them down
I'll blow them up!

Although, technically, it was the United States who invaded Canada to open the war. But nobody knows enough War of 1812 history to bring that up, so I'll just use the strikethrough button and...uh...er...eh...damn you ZeaLitY!!

As for you, Zeppy, Pearl Harbor and September 11 were not "just stupid. The former was a day that lived "in infamy," and, for that matter, so was the latter. Granted they were not as profound in terms of loss of life, limb, or land as has been inflicted upon other countries from time to time throughout history, but they were important attacks and to downplay them for ideological purposes displays not your ideology but your ignorance of American history.

Right! So now I can say I tear down n00bs before breakfast. Cheerio, all! Off to a cup of me liberal latte.

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
« Reply #50 on: April 01, 2006, 10:03:39 pm »
As before, I stand corrected. True, I don't know much about American History. So...tear me down.