Author Topic: I know why Frog talks like Shakespeare  (Read 11000 times)

Zaperking

• Radical Dreamer (+2000)
    • View Profile
I know why Frog talks like Shakespeare
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2006, 03:12:38 am »
What I want to know is if Leene knows that Frog is Glenn, since she is so close to him. Also, since the peolpe in Choras knew about Cyrus (atleast I think so), wouldn't the word of Cyrus' death have spread to Guardia Castle and the troops would have found out prior?

Mystik3eb

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/dfscanl/index.html
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2006, 05:54:56 am »
I doubt Leene knows about it. I have a feeling she has a feeling, though. There's something she really likes about Frog, maybe something tugging at a memory in the back of her mind. In either case, she's very attached to Frog in a way she can't explain.

That above is all theory, of course.

As for Choras: I don't think they had any communication with Guardia. They were kinda stranded out there on that continent all by them lone-sums.

Again, all theories.

Chrono'99

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2006, 07:30:32 am »
Quote from: Mystik3eb
Do we know if there was an obvious speech change in the original Japanese text? I keep wondering if it was just another Woolsey-ism. Otherwise that voluntary mask is agreeably the most reasonable answer.

According to Hyena 20 at GameFAQs, Kaeru (Frog) had a rather "outlaw" and non-chilvaric speech in the Japanese version, since he really is a rogue. For instance, when Ayla asks if she can eat him, he calls her a "stupid bastard" (in the American version he just says "perish the thought, lass"...).

ChronoMagus

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2006, 02:40:40 pm »
You know I can't really imagine frog saying stuff like that.  I mean it ruins his identity in the English version.  That means his entire identity is a Woolsey-ism...

Zaperking

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2006, 06:06:20 pm »
Quote from: ChronoMagus
You know I can't really imagine frog saying stuff like that.  I mean it ruins his identity in the English version.  That means his entire identity is a Woolsey-ism...

Hehehe, Japanese CT > English CT

Daniel Krispin

« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2006, 08:14:32 pm »
Personally, for me English CT far > than Japanese CT, from what I've heard. It may be Woosley's work... but that doesn't mean he can be better, even than the original.

sssssz

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2006, 09:38:28 pm »
I certainly prefer the loyal knight Frog over the overused badass outlaw Frog. Frog saying something like stupid bastard and etc. while shunning himself from the glory and honor, fighting against a god-like being in his friend's name and stuff reminds me too much of Kunio. (Not that he isn't a cool character. He's totally cool because he was the progenitor of the species.) The only possible problem with Woosley's creative translation would be themetic inconsistency, but I didn't find anything out of place while playing CT. Biblical allusions of Zeal came off to me as "whoa, that's like, totally aweso--Wait. omg, the Mammon Machine is an Angel!!" Kudos to Woosley for that. What he did, in my humble opinion, is a masterful feat...

However Frog being a badass neatly fits the identity change idea... Glenn used to be a spineless coward, however his physical change grotesquely twisted his mind--into a hot-blooded daredevil.... or something... Bleh.

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2006, 10:15:08 pm »
I think we can all agree that Frog talks like an Elizabethan just to show how Archaic he is, and to remind us that he is from an old society. Its not the 1800s, but the year 1000 isn't the year 2000, yet the speak like it. The same goes for Ayla.

ChronoMagus

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2006, 12:58:33 am »
Frog is one of our first impressions of this era.  He is the first truly significant character we meet, besides King Guardia and his Chancellor, and also supposed to represent a brave hero from the era.  This is a medieval society, so what better way to represent him than have him speak classical english.

Zaperking

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2006, 03:00:19 am »
I think that because of all the Wooleysims, it's harder to understand the truth behind CT. Like how it's not just an entity, it's actually Mother Earth.
And Frog being badass shows more why he wants to hunt down Magus and does not fear him. Heck, Magus probably makes more sence in the Japanese version as being arrogant, with his thing about calling Crono as pathetic as a cockroach (in terms of his sacrafice).

Mystik3eb

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/dfscanl/index.html
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2006, 03:19:09 am »
Dude, I LOVE the idea of a bad-ass outlaw Frog. Knightly chilvaric Frog is cool, but bad-ass...that's just awesome!

AuraTwilight

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2006, 02:44:07 pm »
Oh gosh, Mystik3eb, you know what I'm thinking? Fanfiction crossover story where English Frog and Japanese Frog meet in some sort of Chrono Cross-esqe scenario. Suh-weet.

ChronoMagus

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2006, 02:49:26 pm »
Or they could fight to the death cuz the chivalarous one hates the badass one.
"OMFG! THIS BASTARD LOOKS LIKE ME!"
"Please refrain from the vulgarities."
"SHUT UP BITCH!  YOU THINK YOU DA BOSS OF ME BITCH?!"
"I asked kindly, now please refrain from the vulgarities..."
"THATS IT BITCH, TIME TO KICK SOME ASS!"
"Thou hast angered me.  Now thou shall feel the edge of this blade!"
Oh yeah.  Wonderful... :roll:

DeweyisOverrated

• Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2006, 10:39:04 pm »
I also don't like the idea of a "rebel" Frog.  It doesn't seem to fit everything he's fighting for.  It seems a "bad-ass" Glenn wouldn't really care about honoring Cyrus at his gravesite, and moreso just killing Magus.  On top of that... the Masamune might lean towards the more evil side, than its truely innate goodness that it had in CT.

ChronoMagus

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2006, 10:55:04 pm »
The whole Masamune and grave thing is a good point... I mean what would Glenn say when he honors Cyrus' death?