Author Topic: Top 10 RPGs of all time  (Read 12490 times)

GreenGannon

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
Top 10 RPGs of all time
« Reply #135 on: April 16, 2006, 03:19:56 am »
And uh...Chrono Cross isn't for the SNES. Just thought I'd point that out.

Mystik3eb

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/dfscanl/index.html
Top 10 RPGs of all time
« Reply #136 on: April 17, 2006, 03:34:07 am »
Quote from: Sentenal
Your list got disqualified by FFX-2 being included.  Either, you have only played 10 RPGs (thus making FFX-2 top 10 by default), or you are insane.

Could've been worse. Could've said FFX. Or some MMORPG.

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
Top 10 RPGs of all time
« Reply #137 on: April 17, 2006, 07:25:32 am »
Quote from: ChibiBob

1. Terranigma (SNES)

ChibiBob: Hereafter known as smartest guy in the universe.

Sentenal

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
Top 10 RPGs of all time
« Reply #138 on: April 18, 2006, 11:26:25 am »
Quote from: Mystik3eb
Your list got disqualified by FFX-2 being included.  Either, you have only played 10 RPGs (thus making FFX-2 top 10 by default), or you are insane.

Could've been worse. Could've said FFX. Or some MMORPG.

FFX isn't that bad.  Its a decent game.  FFX-2 was horse shit.

ChibiBob

Top 10 RPGs of all time
« Reply #139 on: April 18, 2006, 06:22:08 pm »

Probably the latter over the former, considering all I play aside from Dynasty Warriors and the Katamari games are RPGs. And the fact that I've been gaming for around eleven or twelve years — that's a long time to have played only ten RPGs.

It could be because
a) I thought the battle system was right up there in terms of best games,
b) Rikku is the hottest piece of... nevermind,
c) I don't like bending to the automatic will of public judgment.

Take your best guess.

Sentenal

• View Profile
Top 10 RPGs of all time
« Reply #140 on: April 18, 2006, 06:24:19 pm »
The battle system was decent, I'll give it that, but the plot/characters/consept is enough to disqualify the game from any list other than a list of games that should not have been made.

ChibiBob

Top 10 RPGs of all time
« Reply #141 on: April 18, 2006, 06:27:50 pm »
Quote from: Burning Zeppelin

1. Terranigma (SNES)

-coughGIRLcough.-

:p

Legend of the Past

• View Profile
Top 10 RPGs of all time
« Reply #142 on: April 18, 2006, 06:31:41 pm »

1. Terranigma (SNES)

-coughGIRLcough.-

You might want to avoid calling yourself Bob, then.

Mystik3eb

• View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/dfscanl/index.html
Re: Top 10 RPGs of all time
« Reply #143 on: April 19, 2006, 05:06:26 pm »
X-2's got the best ATB system any game has ever seen, and the job system is actually not as easy to hate as other games. I thought the story was fine, intruiging. Not quite as good as the overall story of X, but at least the voice acting is worlds better. The clothing and obvious attempt at appealing to pop culture or whatever IS annoying, of course. But...people can't seem to see past that. Oh well.

I find myself losing my mind when I play Dynasty Warriors. It's like...I've become a vegetable, and I'm FULLY aware of it. Weirdness.

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
« Reply #144 on: April 20, 2006, 11:06:36 pm »
1. Terranigma (SNES)

-coughGIRLcough.-

FINALLY! A GIRL!

X2 did have one of the battle systems.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #145 on: April 21, 2006, 03:38:34 pm »
Terranigma got real boring real quick...I require something interesting to happen in the first 20 min or so or I can be easily turned off...I mean, even after those first towers and you get into ressurrecting the world I felt like the game was a lame cross between the Seiken Densetsu series and Sim Earth....double-you tee eff. Illusion of Gaia was much better.

And what's with no more original topics in the General section? Everything's blown out to over 5 pages now...? w/e I guess...

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
« Reply #146 on: April 21, 2006, 08:08:50 pm »
Well, people try to create original topics, but sooner or later it becomes a war with certain people battling over who is right, Lord J or Mr X or Mr Y.
And Terranigma wasn't like SimEarth...I mean, you didn't really control it yourself. I thought it was charming and beautiful, and that it was set in Earth, which was awesome.

Ramsus

« Reply #147 on: April 22, 2006, 09:40:25 pm »
Terranigma got real boring real quick...I require something interesting to happen in the first 20 min or so or I can be easily turned off...I mean, even after those first towers and you get into ressurrecting the world I felt like the game was a lame cross between the Seiken Densetsu series and Sim Earth....double-you tee eff. Illusion of Gaia was much better.

And what's with no more original topics in the General section? Everything's blown out to over 5 pages now...? w/e I guess...

Good question. I hate long topics. Hell, that was one of the reasons we made the Compendium...

Speaking of great RPGs, anyone else play Radiata Stories yet?

Silvercry

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
    • The Great Silvercry's Blog
« Reply #148 on: April 23, 2006, 09:50:05 am »
X-2's got the best ATB system any game has ever seen, and the job system is actually not as easy to hate as other games. I thought the story was fine, intruiging. Not quite as good as the overall story of X, but at least the voice acting is worlds better. The clothing and obvious attempt at appealing to pop culture or whatever IS annoying, of course. But...people can't seem to see past that. Oh well.

X-2's battle system was the only thing that made it playable.  It might just be the best use of ATB ever.

The story, however, committed he cardinal sin of any RPG, especially a Final Fantasy: It failed to make me care.

It was thinly veiled Tidus resurrection plot, and it was obvious from the first 2 hours of game play.  FF X itself was iffy at best, but I liked the ending.  Bringing Tidus back cheapens it.

I wanted to like this game.  I like stories/games featuring a female characters in a prominent, if not staring, role.  What I hate is when female stars whose sex-appeal is over done for the sake being over done, or become complete idiots as the story progress.  FF X-2 managed to do both.  If I wanted air-headed eye candy, I'd play Rumble Roses.

Why is it whenever a female character goes on a mission to find herself, she must cut off at least 20% of her hair and lose 50% of her clothing?

The last Final Fantasy worth a damn in the last five years was XI, and being a MMORPG, its almost universally hated.

I'll be renting XII before I buy it.  Once upon a time I could by a FF without a second thought.  Now...*sigh*

Hell, Kingdom Hearts is more of a Final Fantasy than the last few Final Fantasies.

EDIT: Oh and i want to add Thosand Arms to my list as an honrable mention.  The battle system was crap and the story ho-hum, but the thousand year old pusedo-loli with a split personality Nelsha really rocked my socks.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2006, 10:28:58 am by Silvercry »

Hadriel

• View Profile
« Reply #149 on: April 23, 2006, 04:37:13 pm »
FFXII is looking like it might be pretty damned good.  Most of the classic summons are airships now; aside from VII and XI, it's going to be the first Final Fantasy that features airships as commonplace vehicles, though their individualized design suggests that Dalmasca has an entirely different design philosophy than we do.  I'm also pretty sure it's going to be the first FF to have combat between roughly comparable fleets of flying vehicles, if you don't count the VII spinoffs.  VIII had the Ragnarok firing on Lunatic Pandora for a few seconds, but that was only to generate a hole big enough to get in.  Story-wise, it's Matsuno, so a lot of it's going to be concerned with war and politics, which is good.

Also, it occurs to me that ChibiBob stated that Rikku is a hot piece of ass, which of course is true.  There something you ain't telling us?   :lol: