Author Topic: Top 10 RPGs of all time  (Read 12210 times)

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
Top 10 RPGs of all time
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2006, 07:00:31 am »
In the Non RPG sense, LOZ: OoT and LttP, Super Metroid, Mario 64, Panzer Dragoon Orta and Metal gear Solid are my favourites.

DoomSickle

• Earthbound (+15)
  • Insane and happily so
    • View Profile
Top 10 RPGs of all time
« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2006, 12:17:56 pm »
1. Chrono Cross- you may hate me for this, but excluding a demo of FFVIII and (assuming you can count them as RPG's) Pokemon, it was the first RPG I ever played, and I loved it. (prior to that, I was a platformer obsessor. Shameful, I know.)
2. Chrono Trigger- Um, duh.
3. Final Fantasy IX- I love this game! It's the best story-wise, and it's the most 'fantasy' of the console FF's.
4. Threads of Fate- Not many have heard of it, but it is one of the greatest RPG's I've ever played. The only reason it's not in numero uno spot is because of its lack of FMV's, and it was disappointingly short.
5. Kingdom Hearts- you may laugh, but Square pulled it off very well. Unfortunately, the content did not match the gameplay at all. (meaning that while the script was written to be kid-friendly, the game was too hard to truly be a kid's franchise, in my opinion.)
6. Final Fantasy X- I loved the story, and the turn-based system was an interesting break from ATB. And the Aeons were always a plus.
7. Final Fantasy VIII- Very interesting to me, though many would say otherwise.
8. Final Fantasty Tactics Advance- meh. kind of so-so, but still good.
9. Pokemon Yellow- Hate me if you must, but the ORIGINAL games were actually good before they decided to add 50 bazillion new pokemon.
10. The Digimon World series.
For the record, the only reason FFVII is not on this list is because I have yet to get my hands on a copy. If I had, I'm quite certain this list would be different.
I didn't include Shadow of the Colossus or Zelda because I wasn't sure if they qualified. If they did, once again, this would be a very different list.
Go ahead and kill me now.

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
Top 10 RPGs of all time
« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2006, 07:05:51 pm »
Shadow of C isnt an RPG.
What do you mean console FFs? All FFs are console.
Pokemon Yellow aint original one.
But Pokemon is an rpg and the originals ruled!

Hadriel

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
    • View Profile
Top 10 RPGs of all time
« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2006, 01:35:16 am »
Final Fantasy XI is only on PC right now; it's going to be released for the 360 in the near future.  Also, adaptations of Final Fantasy VII and VIII have been released on PC.  The good part is that they can be modded, but the bad part is what's there already; no lyrics in One-Winged Angel make me a SAD GODDAMN PANDA.

Mystik3eb

• View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/dfscanl/index.html
Top 10 RPGs of all time
« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2006, 05:32:06 am »
Uhm...XI is on PS2, as well. And yes, there ARE non-console FFs. 7 and 8 were on PC as well, and there are four gameboy-specific FFs, though you could argue they're truly Mana/SaGa Frontier games...but still.

And don't forget the FF7 Turks sequel coming out for cell phones.

cupn00dles

• Beneath this mask there is more than flesh.
    • View Profile
Top 10 RPGs of all time
« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2006, 09:09:54 am »
Shadow of the Colossus is awesome indeed  :D can`t wait to finish it off

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
Top 10 RPGs of all time
« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2006, 07:33:41 pm »
Gameboys are handheld consoles.
I mean every FF is on a console. There are no exclusive ones on PC.
Mobile phone one is retarded

Hadriel

• View Profile
Top 10 RPGs of all time
« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2006, 10:29:10 pm »
I dunno, I kind of want to play it.  I just hope it isn't an Episode I-style disappointment where they try to shoehorn every goddamn character together.

My friend just finished reading Outbound Flight by Timothy Zahn, right, and that's what they're doing, even moreso than the other prequels, where Anakin, Obi-Wan, Palpatine, Yoda, Boba Fett, Chewie, and everyone else EVER knows each other somehow.  According to my friend, he tries to make it look like Palpatine only wanted to come to power to whip the galaxy into shape for the "impending" Yuuzhan Vong invasion that didn't come for fifty years, and basically brushes the whole "I want to rule the galaxy because I'm one of the most evil, despicable bastards in history" thing aside.  You know, the thing that's basically the entire fucking point of the classic movies.

LadyShiva

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
Top 10 RPGs of all time
« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2006, 01:41:31 am »
This may take awhile...

10.Xenogears - This game was wonderful. Great story line, diffrent combat system, and a mech battling mini game. What more could you ask for?

9.Secret of Evermore - I got secret of Evermore the same day I got Chrono Trigger. I remember that my dad bought both games for HIM, but I snuck into his room while he was at work and opened both games. I started to play Evermore first, and loved every moment of it.

8.Lunar:SSS - I'm afraid I didn't get to play this game until it was released on the PS1, but almost as soon as I picked it up it felt like I game I should have been playing for years. A wonderful, classic fantasy story with loveable characters.

7:FF4 - One of the first if not the first rpg I ever played. It had simple, intuitive combat, a gripping story, and many hours of gameplay. I'll never forget my cart getting wiped right after I beat the sandlion and weeping openly =(

6:FF8 - 8 was my favorite of the playstation final fantasies.
I loved the story and the characters so much. I know a lot of people complain about it, but personally I never had any trouble with the juntioning or the battle system. In fact I really liked it, which is no doubt due to my love of micro manegment.]

5:Star ocean TTS - If the list was a ranking of how many times I've played a game So2 would likely be number three on this list. I've played it at least 6 times, and I'm sure I'll play it again. This is one of the most underrated games on the ps1, and I highly recommend it.

4:Chrono Cross - What can I say? CT sequal=love. The sheer amount of strategy needed for battles and planning, and the dizzing amount of characters made this a one of a kind gaming experiance. I've only played it twice, but I'm sure it has a lot of gameplay left in it.

3:Earthbound - How can you not love a game that has you digging for hamburgers in trashcans? This game used the idea of a modern RPG and made it work in spades. It had a great art style, and a sweet unforgettable story. One of the best ending evar!

2:FF6 - The game I've played over and over the second most. I love the story, the battle system, the characters, and the timeless the graphics. Everything about this game is perfection.
Intresting side note is I started using this handle after playing FF6 ^_^

1.Chrono Trigger -      I'm going to try very hard not to crazy fangirl here... *deep breath* All I can really say is that I spent much of my youth playing Chrono Trigger, so much so that my parents took it away from me fearing I was obsessed. I have to admit I was a bit icon_sweatdrop.gif I'm the only person I know who has gotten all level ** characters without cheating(at least until I came here). I'm not sure how many times I've played it (I've done a lot of new games and a whole lot of new game +'s), but I seem to remember my master save file having something like 63 Bike logs in it's inventory.

Honorable mentions:FF7,Lunar EB,Ogre battle, Illusion of Gaia, Lufia 2, FF tactics, ToS, FFX, FFV, Kartia, Secret of Mana and Kartia.

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
Top 10 RPGs of all time
« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2006, 03:37:44 am »
Wow, your dad is pretty cool for buying those games.

Princess Marle

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
Top 10 RPGs of all time
« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2006, 02:57:01 am »
Yep..My Turn..On come on lets here what the New girl has to say !! :oops: However I will only do 5 ...

5-Final Fantasy 8 0r 6-Damm I could not pick between these two Classics :? Final Fantasy has the great story and characters and the Music(Listening to Ending Theme right Now) and Final Fantasy 8 is the same..I just love them both to death !!

4-Final Fantasy 4-I am doing this on Hard type and This Final Fantasy is like a drug..it's simple yet it works ..I love doing FanArt and Kain Highwind just Kicks ass..

3-Kingdom hearts 2-I loved the 1st one and I am going to like the second one even more..Aladdin,Mulan,Lion King and Setzer and Vivi are in it !! :shock:

2-Chrono Trigger-Yes the reason I am here..Good storyline and music and TONS of Endings..

1-Final Fantasy 7-My 1st RPG (Sniffle) and I was only 10..I have played this game at least 500 odd times and Just cannot stop playing..I  cannot wait for the Movie either (Dribble-Dribble)

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
Top 10 RPGs of all time
« Reply #41 on: March 04, 2006, 07:39:01 pm »
A...girl...here...? You realize these are all probably aliases of Dragoness.

And sorry, but in my opinion, Advent Children (thats the "movie", right?) was quite disappointing. I mean, it was basically more flogging. You see this in many classics, but it pains me and everyone else to see it in a true classic, and just adding more fighting, more Sephiroth, more metro and emo dudes, more bikes, more mobile phones, and more Tifa.

Well, the last bits not too bad.

Julian

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
Top 10 RPGs of all time
« Reply #42 on: March 04, 2006, 09:22:47 pm »
Best List

10. Xenogears
9. Final Fantasy 9
8. Grandia
7. Final Fantasy 7
6. Super Mario RPG
5. Lunar 1
4. Lunar 2
3. Chrono Trigger
2. Star Ocean 2
1. Chrono Cross

Now for some nominees for worst rpg ever:

Legend of Dragoon, nothing more needs to be said for this one.
Final Fantasy 8 ( the most ridiculously forced and cheesy love story in the history of the universe, keep this shit on mtv please )
Star Ocean 3 ( worst end to a great story ever, I hate square-enix for this )
Final Fantasy 10 ( Love story almost as disgusting as FF8, please stop, seriously. )
Dunno if this counts, but Shenmue seems to be an rpg of sorts, and it was quite possibly the most boring experience of my life, next to being forced to watch titanic as a young lad.

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
Top 10 RPGs of all time
« Reply #43 on: March 04, 2006, 10:08:09 pm »
You think FF8 is cheesy, but you like FF9 when it had a far more, albeit less realistic, love story? At least FF8 had it placed in a more realistic context. And I hate FFX because it was just plain stupid.

Daniel Krispin

Top 10 RPGs of all time
« Reply #44 on: March 04, 2006, 10:44:03 pm »
Quote from: Hadriel
I dunno, I kind of want to play it.  I just hope it isn't an Episode I-style disappointment where they try to shoehorn every goddamn character together.

My friend just finished reading Outbound Flight by Timothy Zahn, right, and that's what they're doing, even moreso than the other prequels, where Anakin, Obi-Wan, Palpatine, Yoda, Boba Fett, Chewie, and everyone else EVER knows each other somehow.  According to my friend, he tries to make it look like Palpatine only wanted to come to power to whip the galaxy into shape for the "impending" Yuuzhan Vong invasion that didn't come for fifty years, and basically brushes the whole "I want to rule the galaxy because I'm one of the most evil, despicable bastards in history" thing aside.  You know, the thing that's basically the entire fucking point of the classic movies.

Damn, that IS bad. What they trying to do, turn him into a sort of Revan? Of all the Star Wars books I read years ago, Zahn's were probably my favorite. Why would he of all people do such a thing?