Author Topic: JP $3FCE34 Chapter Titles  (Read 1439 times)

Malenien

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
    • Scott & Ellen - the Blog
JP $3FCE34 Chapter Titles
« on: January 29, 2006, 04:15:23 am »
I saw the chapter titles hadn't been done, so I thought I'd just stick them in here real quick.

旅立ち!夢みる千年祭
And we're off! The Dreamy Millennial Festival

帰ってきた王妃
The Return of the Queen

消えた王女
The Princess Disappears

ただいま!
We're home!

王国裁判
The Kingdom Trial

廃墟をこえて……
Through the Ruins...

不思議の国の工場跡
Factory Ruins in Wonderland

時の最果て
The Farthest End of Time

魔の村の人々
People of the Demon Village

現われた 伝説の勇者
The Legendary Hero Appears

タータとカエル
Tata and Frog

赤い石 めずらしい石
Red Stone, Rare Stone

足跡! 追跡!!
Footprints! Pursuit!!

戦え!グランドリオン
Fight on! The Grandlion

決戦! 魔王城!!
The Decisive Battle! Castle of the Magic King!!

気がつけば 原始
Waking Up to the Primeval Era

大地のおきて
The Laws of the Earth

魔法の王国 ジール
The Magic Kingdom of Zeal

とけよ封印 呼べよ嵐
Break the Seal, Summon the Tempest

なげきの山の賢者様
The Guru of the Mountain of Grief

天空で待つものは
As For Those that Wait in the Sky

ラヴォスの呼び声
The Beckoning Voice of Lavos

古代の新王
The New King of the Ancient Age

時の卵
The Time Egg

運命の時へ……
To the Fated Hour...

星の夢の終わりに
At the End of the Planet's Dream

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2006, 01:04:48 pm »
Just wondering; can the kanji in the last title be construed as "planet" having the dreams in any way?

RyogaMasaki

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
    • sudden-desu
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2006, 02:31:14 pm »
Quote from: ZeaLitY
Just wondering; can the kanji in the last title be construed as "planet" having the dreams in any way?

Yes, my translation of it was 'At the End of the Planet's Dream.'

Malenien

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2006, 04:39:28 pm »
If a Japanese person read that, they would say "hoshi no yume no owari ni," 'hoshi' meaning, essentially, blips in the sky, a.k.a. stars, or distant planets.
But, I see your point. Having it be the "Planet's" dream would certainly make more sense in the context of the game. And yes, that kanji "SEI" is applied to the suffix of elemental kanji (water, ocean, heaven, earth, gold, fire) to make the names of the planets. So, I have no problem making it the "Planet's dream," although when you talk about a "planet" in japanese, you say "waku-sei" (two kanji). I think we should check Robo's conversation about the "Entity/Planet" for final confirmation.

RyogaMasaki

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
    • sudden-desu
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2006, 05:50:51 pm »
Quote from: Malenien
If a Japanese person read that, they would say "hoshi no yume no owari ni," 'hoshi' meaning, essentially, blips in the sky, a.k.a. stars, or distant planets.
But, I see your point. Having it be the "Planet's" dream would certainly make more sense in the context of the game. And yes, that kanji "SEI" is applied to the suffix of elemental kanji (water, ocean, heaven, earth, gold, fire) to make the names of the planets. So, I have no problem making it the "Planet's dream," although when you talk about a "planet" in japanese, you say "waku-sei" (two kanji). I think we should check Robo's conversation about the "Entity/Planet" for final confirmation.

If you wanted to be exacting, yes, wakusei is planet, hoshi is star. Colloquially though, it's used to mean planet, especially when in relation to the fact that it is in space. I've always used hoshi in my comversations with my japanese friends, and I've seen it used that way all over the place (Sonic CD's references to Little Planet as 'utsukushii hoshi' and 'time stone ga neru hoshi'  immediately come to mind). Like, I can imagine a teacher making it a point to mention the differences, but used commonly, I'd say it leans a bit towards planet.

EDIT: hah, from the very line I'm translating in the script:
王「平和ボケして自分の事しか考えて   いなかった自分が情けない。   国のため……、この星のためを   考えなくてはならない時に。[END]
'kono hoshi no tame'

Malenien

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2006, 10:59:08 pm »
Yeah, you're right, they're definitely using 'hoshi' to mean the planet that they're on, not just the planets in space.
I guess I usually use 'chikyuu' or 'sekai' or whatever, in my conversations, but I guess that has the connotation of being literally Earth, i.e. the one we're on. Saying 'kono hoshi' does give it kind of a fantasy planet feel... which is what they must have been going for.
Ok, it's confirmed. Nice.

RyogaMasaki

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
    • sudden-desu
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2006, 04:24:43 am »
This is what I'm hoping for, all the translators to collaborate and decide on the best meanings like this, heh. And hopefully we'll all learn more.

One more small discrepancy:
ラヴォスの呼び声
The Voice that Calls Lavos

should really be Lavos's Call or Call of Lavos (it was Lavos Beckons in Woolsey's). Or, more towards the literal side, The Calling Voice of Lavos. 'Yobigoe' is a colloquial compound word that means call (as in invitation), or beckoning. 'The Voice that Calls Lavos' would be Lavos wo yobu koe. Just pointing that out~

Now back to work on my own stuff, sorry to butt in. ^^;

Malenien

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2006, 08:17:45 pm »
You're right, I totally scanned over that without realizing it was a "no" instead of "wo" (and "bi" instead of "bu"). Thanks. I think Woolsey picked a good verb, "beckon," so I'll stick with that.