Author Topic: "Luminair"  (Read 11811 times)

JonnyCyo

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
..>
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2006, 12:15:04 am »
Well, if Chrono's type means "Heaven" in Japanese, and Serge's type is "White"
then i believe we can infer that Luminaire is a more Spiritual attack then an elemental.
Bingo

Paradox

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
Re: ..>
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2006, 01:01:38 pm »
Quote from: JonnyCyo
Well, if Chrono's type means "Heaven" in Japanese, and Serge's type is "White"
then i believe we can infer that Luminaire is a more Spiritual attack then an elemental.
Bingo

Beauty. So, it's (vaugly) agreed that the "Luminair" attack is more spiritual and heavenly based then lightning, though it links to lightning because it's from the heavens and japanese gods and yada yada yada. Well, that sure answered my question! You people rock  :P On with the show!

AuraTwilight

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
"Luminair"
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2006, 06:51:03 pm »
Spirituality could be considered an element, since it manifests in the form of Light.

Theicedragon

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
"Luminair"
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2006, 06:02:08 pm »
Well that could mean that his attack is more like the Holy or Pearl spells of the Final Fantasy series, but I always thought that his attack was more on the lines of the Ultima attack from say,  like final fantasy III (US)

Paradox

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
"Luminair"
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2006, 12:38:32 am »
Quote from: Theicedragon
Well that could mean that his attack is more like the Holy or Pearl spells of the Final Fantasy series, but I always thought that his attack was more on the lines of the Ultima attack from say,  like final fantasy III (US)

Maybe it's both? A combination of an attack based on spirituality and a brand of "ultima" attack.

Luminflare

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
Re: "Luminair"
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2006, 03:33:20 pm »
Ultima, indeed. In any case, there's a definite reason why the description says "Ultimate damage to all enemies" instead of "Ultimate Lightning damage to all enemies" (that's what Shock does). Also, in Japan, Crono's type was definetly "Heaven", something along the lines of an opposite to shadow. Probably for political correctness reasons, it was changed in translation, but Luminaire is definetly more like a "fabric of creation energy" attack, like ultima. Although spirituality probably weighs heavily in that.

Ffej

• Iokan (+1)
  • Time Follower
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2007, 10:16:16 am »
Sorry to be reviving an old thread but I thought I could clear a few things up that were raised.

Just to point out, Luminaire is used in industry these days as a more technical word for lantern. In other words, a source of light from an electrical base. As Google brings up a few definitions:

# A complete lighting unit consisting of a lamp or lamps together with the parts designed to distribute the light, to position and protect the lamps and to connect the lamps to the power supply.

# The lighting industry uses this term to encompass a "lighting fixture" or "fitting." Luminaires are grouped by mounting type and locations.

Now doesn't this strike a bell. Electrical source of power... providing light. In the Americanized version, Crono's innate element being "Lightning", his most obvious type of magic is his source of "Lightning" element. Moving on Chrono Cross, where Luminaire is an attack based on "chi" or spiritual energy, as the game directly states... This is also supportive of Crono's innate element in the Japanese version, Heavens, which may be interpreted as a source of spirits (but that's not to say there are demonic spirits). So there you have it, Luminaire, an attack based on "chi" related to the "Heavens" that not necessarily means the attack is based on "Lightning"...yet, comes from a source of Lightning element, just like a symbol for its literal definition.

Using the definition of Luminaire, its pretty interesting that both arguments raised in the thread are supported!

Chrono Master

• Guardian (+100)
  • Our will is the key to our dreams.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2007, 03:40:45 pm »
Quote from: knuck
Does anyone know what's Luminaire's name on the japanese version?
"Shining"
Whenever I see the Japanese Attack Name for Luminaire *THE MOST KICK ASS TECH. IN CT* I think of  The G-Gundum TV show where the Main character's attack was "Shining Finger!"

Dark Serge

• Time Traveler (+800)
  • Now, let love bleed...
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2007, 05:17:22 pm »
It should be noted that Lightning is associated with yellow innate in Chrono Cross. Wich means, if Crono used Lightning, and Lightning is yellow innate, Serge is not of the same type as Crono. Wich means his Luminaire attack can't be the same as Crono's attack, wich is also stated in the discription. It's a burst of chi, ki. Just energy.

I think it's safe to say they just named one of Serge's attacks Luminaire as a little easter egg or something. They didn't really intent it to be THE Luminaire from Chrono Trigger.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2007, 07:01:04 pm »
Yeah, but Magic and the Dragon Elements aren't really relatable.

And from what I remember Crono's Magic was more Heavenly than just Heaven. It's more things that come from the heavens...but w/e.

Kebrel

• Springtime of Youth
  • Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • नार्य काम संस्कृत
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2007, 09:49:23 pm »
Lightning is in many cultures tied to the heavens(spiritually)as is life/death and since Crono knows life I would interpret it as spiritual heaven and luminair as the same white spell as luminair in chrono cross.

Dark Serge

• Time Traveler (+800)
  • Now, let love bleed...
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2007, 11:12:56 am »
Crono really had no "heaven" like attacks, all his attack were just plain lightning. It would be weird if Luminaire would be different. People also seem to state Serge is of the same element as Crono, but that's just wrong. If Square would have wanted Serge to be like Crono, they would have made him yellow innate instead of white.

Generality

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2007, 06:37:03 pm »
Luminaire is different. It's clearly not a lightning spell. It's a huge expanding dome of light, and electricity just doesn't behave that way.

As for not having any "heaven" techs, he does have a "Life" spell, if you'll recall. He's the first character to develop a revival tech.

Comparing the CT system to the CC and saying Crono's element is White innate or Yellow innate is pointless. Crono was never rendered into the CC system, so we can't say how his magic would work in that game, but his magic in CT clearly shows elements that are both White and Yellow in nature by CC standards.

alpha

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2007, 01:15:00 pm »
keep in mind also that the yellow element involves earth as well.

Dark Serge

• Time Traveler (+800)
  • Now, let love bleed...
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2007, 03:22:08 pm »
keep in mind also that the yellow element involves earth as well.

Maybe two or three of them, but the rest is all lightning. OmegaYellow, Thunderstom, ThundaSnake, all huge lightning attacks, much like Crono used.