Author Topic: Old and new Consoles  (Read 2923 times)

Anonymous

Old and new Consoles
« on: January 26, 2006, 06:47:29 pm »
There is an X-Box 360 Thread so I thought I would Make one to give other systems the respect they deserve.  THE PS3.  :D  And all of the older Systems that may have been cool in their time.  NINTENDO!!!!!!!

Hope Yall Like it.

JossiRossi

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
    • Http://spriteville.comicgen.com
Old and new Consoles
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2006, 06:56:01 pm »
I for one am thoroughly enjoying.

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
Old and new Consoles
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2006, 07:03:30 pm »
The X360 thread was made in celebration to its coming. The PS3 isn't known yet. A revo thread would be good though, with a bit more info. An N64 thread would be classic.

Tonjevic

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
Old and new Consoles
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2006, 07:25:10 pm »
Woo for Nintendo! I am finding I am getting a little bored of all this mainstream crap that is coming out of Sony and microsoft.
I believe that the big N is doing the right thing, trying to find new ways of percieving and controling games, but they aregoing about it the wrong way.

Between not releasing any info, shoving controversial things in peoples faces, what looks like lieing and everything else, Nintendo have definately reduced thier chances at making good profits.

When I look at Sony and Microsoft I see a spangly, glitzy front that is really, in the end, a little shallow. Sure, they have super shiney graphics, nad sure, they can simulate thousands of enemies at once, but these arent the fundamental things that make a game fun. Nintendo knows this, and they are going in the right direction. One has to question this to some extent. Will nintendo ruin themselves like sega did by looking into the future with bright and innovative eyes? only time can tell.

In the end, I wotn get a next gen console. I am content with my gamecube. It may not be powerful, but it is fun, and satisfying. Moreso than alot of my newer games on the PC. Better than counterstrike, for instance, also more fun than Far cry. these games are all a little shallow in my mind, and leave me feeling a little lacking. I think the market in the future is going to see, eventually, that a game isnt good because it is the same recycled, mainstream pap that is force-fed to us every day, just covered up with good AI and a known label. We need less series and more original content.

THis is exactly what Nintendo are doing, and I am inclined to support them, rather than the other industry dogs out there. If I had to choose a console, it would be the revo, because I can trust Nintendo to satisfy me.

Hadriel

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
    • View Profile
Old and new Consoles
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2006, 08:19:19 pm »
Actually, the GameCube has more processing power than the PS2.  But save for Twilight Princess, it's effectively a dead system.  Actually, pretty much all of the consoles in this generation are dead, because all eyes are turned toward the next.  TP, FFXII, and Dirge of Cerberus are really the only major games that still haven't come out in this generation.

There are plenty of good games for the Sony and Microsoft systems, but their way of doing business is repugnant to me.  Sony's spyware escapades and excessive PS3 price and Microsoft's Core System/hard drive bullshit has discouraged me from buying either a 360 or a PS3.  Nintendo appears to be the only one of the three major companies that isn't actively trying to rip me off, but unfortunately its business model doesn't work very well in America.  It's great for Japan, which is primarily what keeps them in business other than their near-stranglehold on the handheld market.  Every Sony product I own is bought used, so that the retailer gets the money and not Sony.

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
Old and new Consoles
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2006, 09:49:09 pm »
I'm sold on Revolution. Download service for classic games? Win. Cheaper by a three-figure amount than the other two? Win. New, innovative game play? Win. Nintendo franchises? Win. It's just too good of a system.

An aside: Reading an article on CNN today, and the game guy said that any old school gamer would recal the frustration of swapping disks. I call bullshit. It's not that an old school gamer wouldn't remember this, it's that an old school gamer would have had more frustration blowing into the cartridges of better games than multi-disk PS1 games. Arg.

Gaming makes me feel old. Why is my beard turning grey?

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
Old and new Consoles
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2006, 11:23:34 pm »
Corn starch. Works every time. I used the stuff to turn my hair gray when I played H. Ross Perot--he's got four billion dollars; don't need no Air Force One; he's got his own plane--back in the 1996 debates at my high school. (Yeah, I was in the debate club. Shaddup.)

Anyhow, I've been thinking about the old school gamer generation of late. There's a video floating around out there in cyberspace of this guy who plays Mario tunes on his piano, including the main theme blindfolded and one of the level themes at a tempo of about, let's see here...6 million BPM. (His left hand is faster than the camera's capture rate!) And I'm thinking to myself, the younger generations of gamers will never know the sheer and simple pleasure of the old school games. No hopping around on a 16-color screen stomping goombas and drinking in the tinny little square wave music and cheesy sound effects. Today's young'uns will have their own fond memories, and ours will be left in the dust like so much tabletop D&D given way to Magic and Yu-Gi-Oh.

I personally cut my teeth on the original Gameboy and the SNES. Beautiful systems, they were. Tetris, Paperboy, Kirby's Dream Land (yep; the one that started it all), Metroid II, Mortal Kombat, Donkey Kong Country, F-Zero, Gradius III, SimCity, Utopia, and of course the great RPGs...Zelda, Secret of Mana, Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy VI, and on and on. We're talking about some of the best games ever made. Someday ordinary joes will laugh at 'em the same way we laugh at silent movies that play at too fast a frame-rate and have ridiculously overdramatic music. But then there'll be a retro revival! Just you wait!

Listen to me. I sound like Cranky Friggin' Kong. Pass the cornstarch.

Tonjevic

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
Old and new Consoles
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2006, 11:37:09 pm »
:o

Everything comes back into style EXCEPT software...
You do know that dont you?
Classics live on, but the unknown gems fade into time and live on only in fond memories and archives.

And being in the debating team is nothing to be ashamed of. It is an admirable pursuit in my opinion. BZ is in one, you were, I am and I am sure others are or have been in one as some point.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
Old and new Consoles
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2006, 03:10:21 pm »
Quote from: Tonjevic
Everything comes back into style EXCEPT software...
You do know that dont you?
Classics live on, but the unknown gems fade into time and live on only in fond memories and archives.

I'm aware of the saying, but it isn't accurate. You're using "software" with the connotation of "upgradable, functional programming" to refer to a collection of games with high entertainment and artistic value. Nobody's going to be using MS Word 97 in a century, but there's a much better chance that at least a few people will still be playing the classic games of old, because it is very difficult to supplant these games' appeal entirely. It is true that most of the popular culture and recreational diversions of each generation fall by the wayside, but some activities prove so enjoyable above and beyond the context of an era that they survive as timeless facets of the human muse. Ironically, it is more likely to be games like Tetris than Chrono Trigger which survive, because Chrono Trigger can be upbraided whereas Tetris arguably does not need to be; but when it comes to the history books these games will stand side by side, and many people will explore them out of curiosity. Perhaps I am overstating my case, but at least as regards the idea that "software" is somehow uniquely excepted from remaining of interest to the people of tomorrow, I do think a little overstatement is forgivable. It gets the point across!

GrayLensman

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
    • View Profile
Old and new Consoles
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2006, 08:53:20 pm »
Just wait for 70 years (or hopefully sooner) when the copyright on all those games, like Chrono Trigger, expires.

Tonjevic

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
Old and new Consoles
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2006, 08:59:45 pm »
oh, no, it's more than seventy years. And who is to say that they wont renew the copyright?

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
Old and new Consoles
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2006, 11:30:14 pm »
Quote from: Tonjevic
oh, no, it's more than seventy years. And who is to say that they wont renew the copyright?

Tell me about it. Disney has been artificially extending its copyrights in court for years, now. But then again, maybe Squeenix's late-21st century scion won't have that sort of clout. Heck, for all we know the Supreme Court will have revised the intellectual property laws. I can see that coming, eventually, what with this thar Intarweb thing.

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
Old and new Consoles
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2006, 11:45:14 pm »
MS ain't that mainstream. Companies like EA and 2K only target it because it is US. The actual MS game companies are quite indie, like Bizzare, Bunjie, Rare and...Ensemble? Plus, if you think MS attracts celerities...http://xbox360.joystiq.com/2006/01/25/paris-hilton-shills-for-nintendo-microsoft-flattered/

Sentenal

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
Old and new Consoles
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2006, 02:17:53 am »
MS not mainstream?  You know about Windows, right?  They completely own the computer software business because of Windows.

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
Old and new Consoles
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2006, 02:23:57 am »
I'm talking about games dude.
MS=Windows=Mainstream MS=Rare=Alt
Apple=iPod=Mainstream Apple=Mac=Alt