Author Topic: Quote Digest  (Read 150567 times)

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Re: Quote Digest
« Reply #150 on: February 06, 2007, 07:37:48 am »
Guy: All your hard work will prove worthless if you don't believe in yourself!
« Last Edit: February 06, 2007, 07:40:53 am by Pyt Fumv »

Goldark

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: February 06, 2007, 11:17:04 am »
Be happy while you're living, for you're a long time dead.
-Scottish Proverb

If the whole human race lay in one grave, the epitaph on its headstone might well be: `It seemed a good idea at the time.
  Dame Rebecca West

Your living is determined not so much by what life brings to you as by the attitude you bring to life; not so much by what happens to you as by the way your mind looks at what happens. Circumstances and situations do color life but you have been given the mind to choose what the color shall be.
John Homer Miller

So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb
-Dark Helmet "Spaceballs"

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #152 on: February 12, 2007, 01:43:20 pm »
Man does not live by bread alone. I have known millionaires starving for lack of the nutriment which alone can sustain all that is human in man, and I know workmen, and many so-called poor men, who revel in luxuries beyond the power of those millionaires to reach. It is the mind that makes the body rich. There is no class so pitiably wretched as that which possesses money and nothing else. Money can only be the useful drudge of things immeasurably higher than itself. Exalted beyond this, as it sometimes is, it remains Caliban still and still plays the beast. My aspirations take a higher flight. Mine be it to have contributed to the enlightenment and the joys of the mind, to the things of the spirit, to all that tends to bring into the lives of the toilers of Pittsburgh sweetness and light. I hold this the noblest possible use of wealth.

Who else but the most awesome captain of industry ever? Carnegie!

I propose to take an income no greater than $50,000 per annum! Beyond this I need ever earn, make no effort to increase my fortune, but spend the surplus each year for benevolent purposes! Let us cast aside business forever, except for others. Let us settle in Oxford and I shall get a thorough education, making the acquaintance of literary men. I figure that this will take three years active work. I shall pay especial attention to speaking in public. We can settle in London and I can purchase a controlling interest in some newspaper or live review and give the general management of it attention, taking part in public matters, especially those connected with education and improvement of the poorer classes. Man must have an idol and the amassing of wealth is one of the worst species of idolatry! No idol is more debasing than the worship of money! Whatever I engage in I must push inordinately; therefore should I be careful to choose that life which will be the most elevating in its character. To continue much longer overwhelmed by business cares and with most of my thoughts wholly upon the way to make more money in the shortest time, must degrade me beyond hope of permanent recovery. I will resign business at thirty-five, but during these ensuing two years I wish to spend the afternoons in receiving instruction and in reading systematically!
« Last Edit: February 12, 2007, 01:47:50 pm by ZeaLitY »

cupn00dles

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Beneath this mask there is more than flesh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: February 12, 2007, 03:16:33 pm »
Who? Who is but the form following the function of what and what I am is a man in a mask.

Of course you can, I'm not questioning your powers of observation, I'm merely remarking upon the paradox of asking a masked man who he is.

But on this most auspicious of nights, permit me then, in lieu of the more commonplace soubriquet, to suggest the character of this dramatis persona.

Voilŕ! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished. However, this valorous visitation of a bygone vexation stands vivified, and has vowed to vanquish these venal and virulent vermin vanguarding vice and vouchsafing the violently vicious and voracious violation of volition. The only verdict is vengeance; a vendetta held as a votive, not in vain, for the value and veracity of such shall one day vindicate the vigilant and the virtuous.

Verily, this vichyssoise of verbiage veers most verbose, so let me simply add that it's my very good honor to meet you and you may call me V.

- V

Now yeah. =)
« Last Edit: February 14, 2007, 11:43:30 am by cupn00dles »

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #154 on: February 12, 2007, 03:45:07 pm »
I LOVE that film. ^^

cupn00dles

• View Profile
« Reply #155 on: February 12, 2007, 03:57:34 pm »
Me too. V is the awesomest comic-born character to ever grace the big screen.

Speaking of comic-born characters...

I'm Batman.

- Spider-man on Batman

« Last Edit: February 14, 2007, 01:47:04 pm by cupn00dles »

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: February 16, 2007, 10:09:25 pm »
More glorious to merit a sceptre than to possess one.

Riches do not consist in the possession of treasures, but in the use made of them.

Different subjects and different affairs are arranged in my head as in a cupboard. When I wish to interrupt one train of thought, I shut that drawer and open another. Do I wish to sleep, I simply close all the drawers and then I am— asleep.

Great ambition is the passion of a great character. He who is endowed with it may perform either very great actions or very bad ones; all depends upon the principles which direct him.

I have recognised the limits of my eyesight and of my legs, but never the limits of my working power.

It requires more courage to suffer than to die.

Victory belongs to the most persevering.

Napoleon was a bit of a bastard when it came to certain issues and sexism, but he certainly made his mark upon the world!

Lu Su

• Guardian (+100)
  • Im an EVIL
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: February 17, 2007, 05:56:17 am »
"A wise general strives to feed off the enemys land. Each bushel of food taken fromthe enemy is worth twenty carried from home"
Sun Tzu

the most important thing in war is victory, not persevering
Sun Tzu
« Last Edit: February 17, 2007, 06:01:16 am by Lu Su »

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #158 on: February 23, 2007, 02:00:58 am »
Me too. V is the awesomest comic-born character to ever grace the big screen.

Maybe until they realize the awesomeness of Frank Miller (Sin City, 300) and just give him the Batman movie franchise...and whenever the fuck Alan Moore's (He did V For Vendetta, in case you're a comic n00b or something) other masterpiece, Watchmen comes out will blow V outta the water...I was a hair dissapointed that they kind of lost the Anarchy mentality and seemed to focus more on the fact that he wears a Guy Fawkes mask...

Or were you guys all talking about how awesome I am? :lol:

cupn00dles

• View Profile
« Reply #159 on: February 23, 2007, 07:39:26 am »
Maybe until they realize the awesomeness of Frank Miller (Sin City, 300) and just give him the Batman movie franchise...and whenever the fuck Alan Moore's (He did V For Vendetta, in case you're a comic n00b or something) other masterpiece, Watchmen comes out will blow V outta the water...I was a hair dissapointed that they kind of lost the Anarchy mentality and seemed to focus more on the fact that he wears a Guy Fawkes mask...

Actually, I like what they did in the movie. The anarchist themes from the graphic novel would never have the same reach on today's audience as the whole totalitarist x liberalist post-war thing. Also, I like what they did to Evey.

And, actually, I wasn't even writing about the movie, but specifically its version of the character V himself.

Or were you guys all talking about how awesome I am? :lol:

We were actually being sarcastic. What we meant was that you are a terrible person, you stink of pepperoni, and are a disgusting political neo-anarchist 8 year old blond girl  :lee: GUESS YOU'D NEVER FIND THAT OUT ON YOUR ON, HUH.  :lee: :lee:

Edit: Oh, and, BTW, I can't wait for 300 come out! =D
« Last Edit: February 23, 2007, 07:42:06 am by cupn00dles »

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #160 on: February 23, 2007, 08:24:12 am »
Yeah, I liked the anarchy angle because it's so obvious that that's where his symbol came from (especially when it's spray painted)...and it still went through all that other stuff...I understand the WHYs though movie scripts aren't as long or involved as comics can be...

Oh, and I like the smell of pepperoni, thank you very much.

cupn00dles

• View Profile
« Reply #161 on: February 23, 2007, 10:48:12 am »
Actually, I also like it.  8)

Irothtin

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: March 05, 2007, 12:31:50 am »
"Nearly everyone who isn't a Shadow escapes the Shadows."
"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win."
"I came, I saw... I got blowed up."
"History is rarely made by reasonable men."
"For if you knew who stood with you, how could you be afraid?"
Am I not destroying my enemies when I make friends of them?
We are all travellers in the wilderness of this world, and the best we can find in our travels is an honest friend.
"Double the pleasure, Double the fun..."
"A mind that is stretched by a new idea can never go back to its original dimensions."
"I'm confused."

"So what else is new?"
"Fate makes fools of us all."
"Oh, sh-"
"You said it."
The Reaper is always a step behind me...
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."
"Just because someone is on the other side, does not make them 'evil.' "
"Say, can you hear that? It's the sound of the Reaper..."

"Breaking up is hard to do."
"I wouldn’t know."
"If you find it in your heart to care for somebody else, you will have succeeded."
"But don't you see what this means?"
"Yes. We're going to die."
"Hesitation can be the end of you-or those you care about."
“Lord, what fools these mortals be.”

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: March 23, 2007, 04:18:22 pm »
Those who criticize you correctly are your teachers. Those who praise you correctly are your friends. Those who flatter you are your enemies.

cupn00dles

• View Profile
« Reply #164 on: March 23, 2007, 09:11:26 pm »
And those who feed you are hamburgers.