Author Topic: Quote Digest  (Read 150485 times)

Tonjevic

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
Quote Digest
« Reply #90 on: February 17, 2006, 03:23:31 am »
Quote from: Leebot
This actually reminds me of a little story I heard a while back. There was this one mountain, and its height had been recorded as such-and-such for a long time. Then, with more accurate measurements, they found that it was actually about 20 feet taller. So, what was done? Did they correct the records, and simply include the corrected figure in any new reference books printed? Nope, it was easier to simply pile 20 feet of concrete on top of the mountain so that those books would already be correct. This is not a joke (well... it is f***ing ridiculous, and hilarious, but true).

Wait.. what?
The mountain was taller than previously thought, therefor they put concrete on the top to re-affirm to old texts?
Wouldn't they chop the top off?
Or do you mean to say that the mountain was found to be shorter?

Leebot

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Black Wind Agent (+600)
    • View Profile
    • Infophilia
Quote Digest
« Reply #91 on: February 17, 2006, 03:06:53 pm »
Er, yeah, my mistake. The mountain was found to be shorter.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
Quote Digest
« Reply #92 on: February 21, 2006, 06:23:02 pm »
Quote from: Calvin Coolidge
Press on. Nothing in th world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education alone will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent.

Ramsus

Quote Digest
« Reply #93 on: February 21, 2006, 10:54:00 pm »
Quote from: George Patton

Don't tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and let them surprise you with their results.

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
Quote Digest
« Reply #94 on: February 21, 2006, 11:06:46 pm »
Patton, huh? Quotable fellow. Think I'll contribute a few.

Quote from: George Patton
   It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived.

Sentenal

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
Quote Digest
« Reply #95 on: February 21, 2006, 11:12:32 pm »
Quote from: Ramsus
Considering the effort required, I'd rather spend my time getting wasted and hitting on married women, or at least finding some way to make money that doesn't involve getting a job.

Ramsus

Quote Digest
« Reply #96 on: February 22, 2006, 12:30:56 am »
My Journalism professor discussing wordiness to a class of about 300:

...And quite frankly, most of them [the faculty] have diarrhea of the mouth.

Daniel Krispin

Quote Digest
« Reply #97 on: March 12, 2006, 09:37:50 pm »
I know this is reviving a little bit, but I found a quote I like ever so much in Seneca just today:

Of all people only those are at leisure who make time for philosophy, only those are really alive. For they not only keep a good watch over their own lifetimes, but they annex every age in theirs. All the years that have passed before them are added to their own. Unless we are very ungrateful, all those distinguished founders of holy creeds were born for us and prepared for us a way of life. By the toil of others we are led into the presence of things which have been brought from darkness into light. We are excluded from no age, but we have access to them all; and if we are prepared in loftiness of mind to pass beyond the narrow confines of human weakness, there is a long period of time though which we can roam. We can argue with Socrates, express doubt with Carneades, cultivae retirement with Epicurus, overcome human nature with the Stoics, and exceed its limits with the Cynics. Since nature allows us to enter into a partnership with every age, why not turn from this bief and transient spell of time and give ourselves wholeheartedly to the past, which is limitless and eternal and can be shared with better men than we?

A very difficult ideal to achieve, but a good one to aspire to nonetheless.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
Quote Digest
« Reply #98 on: March 14, 2006, 01:54:17 am »
In the spirit of South Dakota...

Quote from: H.L. Mencken
It is now quite lawful for a Catholic woman to avoid pregnancy by a resort to mathematics, though she is still forbidden to resort to physics or chemistry.

FAILURE

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
Quote Digest
« Reply #99 on: March 22, 2006, 06:22:48 pm »
Courage is not an absence of fear; it is action in the face of fear. ~ Anonymous

Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgement that something else is more important than fear. ~ Ambrose Redmoon

Dear friends,
     These are the contributions that I have for this thread.  Please forgive me for using this opportunity to enlighten you to other works which may well appeal to those of us who have been attracted to the essential story of Square's Chronotrigger.  I hope you enjoy them as much as I have.

First and foremost, Terry Gilliam's masterpiece Twelve Monkeys.
It is closest to story-telling perfection.  Please see it.
     Alias, by J. J. Abrams.  Anyone interested by the fictional exploits of Balthazar will be blown away by <0>.
     I am somewhat skeptical of Early Edition, maybe their vision is not accurate...
     The West Wing is not about time travel, but see it anyway.

Only some of the first season of Jack & Bobby.
     Only one (!) episode of ABC's remake of Nightstalker.

This is children's media, I know, but so is Chronotrigger, so...

The Legend of Zelda:  no doubt that nearly everyone knows and has played these games.
Danny Phantom:  even if you haven't watched Nickelodeon in years, see this show, especially the time-traveling special.

...And the mome raths outgrabe....

I'm recommending you don't see 0Back to the Future, 0Boston Legal, 0Without a Trace.  Bad shows.

All the above are fictional.... If you want the Truth, read the Jewish Torah.
(Please use rabbinical interpretation's help, as misinterpretation can be very harmful).

Sincerely,

(I am a Jew in Miami Beach.)

Leebot

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Black Wind Agent (+600)
    • View Profile
    • Infophilia
Quote Digest
« Reply #100 on: March 23, 2006, 07:56:36 pm »
Quote from: FAILURE
All the above are fictional.... If you want the Truth, read the Jewish Torah.

If you want the Truth, give up. One can never be sure of anything - to think otherwise is delusion. There may be a Truth out there, but you'll never know it for sure. The simple evidence that there are so many contradicting claims of Truth should be enough to convince you not to give them any weight.

Maelstrom

• Architect of Kajar
  • Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
Quote Digest
« Reply #101 on: March 23, 2006, 11:54:30 pm »
No book alone can tell you what the truth is.

To even have a hope of finding truth, you must pay each resource out there an appropriate level of respect, whether it be books, life experiences, whatever.  Try to wrap your mind around everyone's reality and try to assimilate all their ideas, hopes, and dreams, as well as your own.  Be patient in resolving contradictions, and be open to creative solutions.

This approach is likely not sufficient, but something along these lines is necessary if you want the wisdom to have any hope of finding and recognizing some answers.

"The greatest dangers to liberty lurk in insidious encroachment by men of zeal, well meaning, but without understanding." - Justice Louis Brandeis

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
Quote Digest
« Reply #102 on: March 24, 2006, 01:42:32 am »
Quote from: Ferdinand Porsche
I could not find the car I had been dreaming of, so I decided to build it.

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
Quote Digest
« Reply #103 on: March 24, 2006, 06:58:10 pm »
Quote from: Trent Reznor
"One step closer to the end of the world. The one-two combo of corporate greed and organized religion apparently proved to be too much for reason, sanity and compassion."

* 4 November 2004, after the declaration of US President George Bush's re-election.

And FAILURE is obviously a bot.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
Quote Digest
« Reply #104 on: March 25, 2006, 05:55:20 pm »
Quote from: Radical_Dreamer
Quote from: Ferdinand Porsche
I could not find the car I had been dreaming of, so I decided to build it.

Ouch. Well done, as usual. And quite devastatingly ironic to come so close after Leebot's nihilistic musings. The so-called "Truth" is an abstraction, coincidental with none other than the universe itself. Though much larger, it is no more intangible than my hand.

Sometimes a book only needs one page.