Author Topic: Quote Digest  (Read 150542 times)

Sajainta

• Survivor of the Darkness
  • Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • Reporting live from Purgatory.
    • View Profile
Re: Quote Digest
« Reply #645 on: April 10, 2011, 06:48:30 am »
C.S. Lewis was a pretty good writer.  I just wish his children's books weren't so godawful.

Syna

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
« Reply #646 on: April 10, 2011, 12:01:30 pm »
That quote is awesome. C.S. Lewis would have been so utterly cool if he had embraced his pagan tendencies learned to stop "converting" myths in to Jesusdom and lobotomizing them in the process..

tushantin

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • Under Your Moonlight, Stealing Your Stars
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #647 on: April 10, 2011, 05:38:49 pm »
Ah, C.S. Lewis, also known as "Jack" in the family, who was born the same year Lewis Caroll passed away. And Lewis Caroll was once suspected to be "Jack the Ripper", though the suspicion was dropped eventually. Coincidence? I think so, yes.  :lol:

Ah, another character appears! Rufus Stone, the guy who eventually gets Sherlock interested in Violin. At this scene, of course, he simply appears. Sherlock doesn't know who this stranger is.
Quote from: Young Sherlock Holmes - Red Leech
Rufus: (Salutes casually) "The start of an adventure!"
Sherlock: (Calls aloud past the deafening crowd) "Eight days at sea with nothing to do but walk around and read books. Not much of an adventure."
Rufus: "Ah, but think of the miles and miles of water that will lie beneath us as we travel. Think of the wrecks of other ships that litter the bottom of the sea, and the strange creatures that swim there, in and out of the portholes and around the bones of drowned sailors. Adventure is all around, if you know where to look. And if all else fails, I can take some time to practice my music on deck, beneath the stars, and serenade the mermaids."
Sherlock: "Mermaids? More likely to be dolphins, or some other kind of marine life."
Rufus: (Smiles) "A man can dream."

Sajainta

• View Profile
« Reply #648 on: April 12, 2011, 02:59:22 am »
Quote from: Molly Lambert
Privilege is the absence of equality. The mainstream misogynist culture attacked Yoko Ono because John Lennon dared to suggest that she was an artist on the same level as himself, equally as important as he was in the world. That her ideas were just as if not more valuable than his. That his consciousness and practice were being expanded through collaborating with her, similar to (and building on) the way it had been expanded through his songwriting and friendship with Paul McCartney. Mainstream culture privileges bromance over romance because it privileges men over women.

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: April 12, 2011, 08:03:04 pm »
That quote is awesome. C.S. Lewis would have been so utterly cool if he had embraced his pagan tendencies learned to stop "converting" myths in to Jesusdom and lobotomizing them in the process..

Other than Till We Have Faces/Cupid and Psyche, what other myths did he "convert"?

Syna

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
« Reply #650 on: April 12, 2011, 08:43:17 pm »
Mostly referring to the gotta catch em all approach to pagan myths he took in Narnia.

Ironically enough, I enjoyed Til We Have Faces; that book has tremendous depth to it.

Manly Man

• Chronopolitan (+300)
  • Don't be a pussy. She looks legit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #651 on: April 13, 2011, 12:48:42 am »
Quote from: Charles Manson
The real strong have no need to prove it to the phonies.

Yeah, I know he's a total nut, but some of the stuff he says tends to be inspiring.

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #652 on: April 13, 2011, 06:53:51 am »
Quote from: Brad Pitt, Fight Club
You decide your own level of involvement.
Hehe, I say this quite a lot of times when some people want to enjoy benefits without taking any responsibilities and start complaining about it.

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #653 on: April 13, 2011, 01:45:39 pm »
Quote from: Charles Manson
The real strong have no need to prove it to the phonies.

Yeah, I know he's a total nut, but some of the stuff he says tends to be inspiring.

That's what makes crazy people dangerous. They convince you they're not crazy and then you're one of them!

Manson is really intriguing because of his KIND of crazy. I watched several interviews with him and one idea he spouted out was that a jail is a crime factory. If you think about it, that's actually a thoughtful, poignant claim about keeping murderers and rapists the same place as drug offenders and nonviolent criminals, and how that kind of networking doesn't actually rehabilitate anyone. But then he starts yelling "Blahbloogobbledygook" while dancing with his hands in the air to his own mental image of what music must be like on the outside. Yeah, he's effin nuts.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 01:50:47 pm by Mr Bekkler »

Licawolf

• Black Wind Agent (+600)
  • tempus edax rerum
    • View Profile
    • DA account
« Reply #654 on: April 13, 2011, 01:58:37 pm »
This conversation made me think of this

Quote from: Dr. House
If you keep on thinking that insane guys have hidden wisdom, you're going to wind up shooting people on the subway.

:P Of course, Dr. House actually finds insane people quite fascinating himself, so whatever.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 02:01:38 pm by Licawolf »

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: April 13, 2011, 02:15:44 pm »
That's what makes crazy people dangerous. They convince you they're not crazy and then you're one of them!

Manson is really intriguing because of his KIND of crazy. I watched several interviews with him and one idea he spouted out was that a jail is a crime factory. If you think about it, that's actually a thoughtful, poignant claim about keeping murderers and rapists the same place as drug offenders and nonviolent criminals, and how that kind of networking doesn't actually rehabilitate anyone. But then he starts yelling "Blahbloogobbledygook" while dancing with his hands in the air to his own mental image of what music must be like on the outside. Yeah, he's effin nuts.

Wait, are we talking about Charles Manson or Charlie Sheen?

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: April 13, 2011, 03:22:00 pm »
Ah, Manson. The ultimate Family man. He was right about the likelihood of a racial rebellion across the United States, but wrong (as yet) that whites would annihilate each other in the ensuing struggle and leave the Manson Family to rule the remainder of humanity from their hidden city beneath Death Valley.

This has been another edition of Good Deduction, Bad Deduction.

The truth of the matter is that many people often have insights into the course of our civilization, and others stumble into their prognostications by sheer chance, with the result being that there are plenty of people who have predictions for the future that time will uphold. It's not limited to brainwashing cultists.

Sajainta

• View Profile
« Reply #657 on: April 13, 2011, 09:12:31 pm »

That's insanely creepy... I was just having that exact same conversation last night--about the prison system, not Manson.

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #658 on: April 14, 2011, 02:38:18 am »
Well he has the advantage of spending every waking second in a prison and no doubt every lucid thought he can possibly have now is about prison, he might have a pragmatic thought or two about said system. My point was that underneath that skin of possible sanity lies a pool in which nobody should swim.

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #659 on: April 14, 2011, 04:16:32 am »
My point was that underneath that skin of possible sanity lies a pool in which nobody should swim.
That's... my kinda buddy!  :D We should totally get acquainted with this Charles Manson bloke.