Author Topic: Quote Digest  (Read 150616 times)

Licawolf

• Black Wind Agent (+600)
  • tempus edax rerum
    • View Profile
    • DA account
Re: Quote Digest
« Reply #600 on: March 08, 2011, 01:25:03 am »
Quote from: Cesare Pavese
A true revelation, it seems to me, will only emerge from stubborn concentration on a solitary problem. I am not in league with inventors or adventurers, nor with travelers to exotic destinations, The surest — also the quickest — way to awake the sense of wonder in ourselves, is to look intently, undeterred, at a single object. Suddenly, miraculously, it will reveal itself as something we have never seen before

Licawolf

• tempus edax rerum
    • View Profile
    • DA account
« Reply #601 on: March 08, 2011, 09:35:06 pm »
As found in Keri Smith blog, I thought it was worth sharing 

tushantin

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • Under Your Moonlight, Stealing Your Stars
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #602 on: March 09, 2011, 02:47:14 am »
LMFAO! That quote seems to be said by quite a lot of people, such as Schumacher, John Dryden, some guy named "Woody" and sometimes even Albert Einstein.

Who got it first?

rushingwind

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: March 09, 2011, 05:23:35 am »
white boys say some crazy shit sometimes (No Homo)
XDDD your dialect amuses me.  :lol: It's been so long since I've heard someone talk like that.

Come on down to the "Dirty" South (or The ATL) and you'll hear it everywhere.  :)

@Wiz Khalifa: What, a politician lying to us, twisting the facts to suit his own agenda? *gasp* Say it ain't so! (I don't believe a word those people say, most of the time.)

Can't speak to the pros/cons of weed, though. Never had it. Nothing against it, just never had it.

Syna

• View Profile
« Reply #604 on: March 09, 2011, 12:03:41 pm »
Licawolf, that quote really resonates me, though I AM definitely in league with the adventurers. That's what my poetry teachers tried to teach me to do, and sometimes what I try to do when I meditate, and I'm so bad at it. I am the product of 21st century techno-glitz ADD and a youth spent playing RPGs, and I want adventure, dammit. But awareness like that is deeply rewarding.

While cannabis is not the all encompassing villain that it is sometimes made out to be, it would be a mistake to assume that it is innocent. Use increases ones risk for psychosis and prolongs expression of that psychosis: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2136386

That's interesting, though of course cannibis has also been studied medicinally and proved to be very beneficial etc. etc. I'm just amazed that weed is outlawed when drugs like xanax or adderall are prescribed -- the effects of Xanax withdrawal, for instance, are awful, worse than any negative effect of cannabis...

That's hilarious about Nixon, at any rate. The man really seemed to think he could dictate reality by his random ass whims!

Quote from: John Ruskin
... those which are more perfect in their kind are always inferior to those which are, in their nature, liable to more faults and shortcomings. For the finer the nature, the more flaws it will show through the clearness of it; and it is a law of this universe, that the best things shall be seldomest seen in their best form.

vibrant individuality > stale notions of "perfection." At least me and my boy John think so.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 12:14:17 pm by Syna »

Truthordeal

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Dunno what's supposed to go here. Oh now I see.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Account
« Reply #605 on: March 09, 2011, 05:45:51 pm »
Quote from: Sir Francis Drake
Who seeks, by worthy deeds, to gain renown for hire:
Whose heart, whose hand, whose purse is pressed: to purchase his desire
If any such there be, that thirsteth after Fame:
Lo, here a mean, to win himself an everlasting name.

Who seeks, by gain and wealth, t’advance his house and blood:
Whose care is great, whose toil no less, whose hope, is all for good
If any one there be, that covets such a trade:
Lo, here the plot for common wea[l]th, and private gain is made.

He, that for virtue’s sake, will venture far and near:
Whose zeal is strong, whose practice true, whose faith is void of fear,
If any such there be, inflamed with holy care.
Here may he find, a ready mean, his purpose to declare:

So that, for each degree, this Treatise doth unfold:
The path to Fame, the proof of zeal, and way to purchase gold.

:kz

wiz Khalifa

• Earthbound (+15)
  • smokin' trees in 12000 bc, bitch
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: March 11, 2011, 06:49:44 pm »
I'm just amazed that weed is outlawed when drugs like xanax or adderall are prescribed -- the effects of Xanax withdrawal, for instance, are awful, worse than any negative effect of cannabis...
i feel that yo, ive known too many cats who got messed up snortin adderalls n shit

"The Candle whose flame glows Twice as Bright burns away Twice as Fast..." - Shaquille "The Big Aristotle" O'Neal

Speed Kills. Thats Real Talk.

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: March 11, 2011, 09:23:05 pm »
That's interesting, though of course cannibis has also been studied medicinally and proved to be very beneficial etc. etc. I'm just amazed that weed is outlawed when drugs like xanax or adderall are prescribed -- the effects of Xanax withdrawal, for instance, are awful, worse than any negative effect of cannabis...

That's just western medicine for you. On two fronts, actually. First, there is the distrust of nature. People often assume that if there is a medical benefit to a plant, then that element would be extracted, refined, and put into a pill (which does exist for cannabis, just not in the United States). Second, there are the pleasant effects of the drug, quite apart from its medical pros and cons. This is more of an aspect of protestant culture, but there is the idea that if something is enjoyable then it must be bad for you. It is hard for people to get over either, and the latter prevents America from addressing the former.

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: March 11, 2011, 11:51:33 pm »
I'm just amazed that weed is outlawed when drugs like xanax or adderall are prescribed -- the effects of Xanax withdrawal, for instance, are awful, worse than any negative effect of cannabis...
i feel that yo, ive known too many cats who got messed up snortin adderalls n shit

"The Candle whose flame glows Twice as Bright burns away Twice as Fast..." - Shaquille "The Big Aristotle" O'Neal

Speed Kills. Thats Real Talk.

I've been "around the park" and tried a lot of things and have had unlucky friends who tried even more things and either got in some deep trouble or bad health, and I can say marijuana one of the safest "drugs" you can take in general. It's less harmful than cigarettes or alcohol, never mind the prescription meds. At least you know what's IN it. Mystery drugs are drugs you should never take. Seriously.

Syna

• View Profile
« Reply #609 on: March 16, 2011, 06:18:42 pm »

Me too. I used to have a prescription for adderall and I am amazed at how widely it's prescribed. The stuff is speed. I've known far more abusers of prescription drugs -- which the abusers thought of as "medicine," note, because some doctor gave it to them -- than any other variety.

and in honor of burning brightly:

Quote from: Lord Byron
Tis to create, and in creating live
A being more intense, that we endow
With form our fancy, gaining as we give
The life we image, even as I do now.
What am I?  Nothing: but not so art thou,
Soul of my thought!
« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 06:27:12 pm by Syna »

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #610 on: March 19, 2011, 07:35:06 am »
Why does history keep repeating itself?

Because we weren't listening the first time!

Somehow that joke actually makes sense!

Quote from: Julius Caesar
What we wish, we readily believe, and what we ourselves think, we imagine others think also.

It is not these well-fed long-haired men that I fear, but the pale and the hungry-looking.

It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience.

It is better to create than to learn! Creating is the essence of life.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2011, 07:48:54 am by tushantin »

Licawolf

• tempus edax rerum
    • View Profile
    • DA account
« Reply #611 on: March 26, 2011, 04:49:56 pm »
Quote from: “Walking on Water” by Derrick Jensen
I’ve heard it said that within our deathly culture, the most revolutionary thing anyone can do is follow one’s heart. I would add that once you’ve begun to do that–to follow your own heart–the most moral and revolutionary thing you can do is help others find their hearts, to find themselves. It’s much easier than it seems.

Time is short. It’s short for our planet–the planet that is our home–that is being killed while we stand by. And it is even shorter for all of those students whose lives are slipping away from them with every awful tick of the clock on the classroom wall.

There is much word to be done. What are you waiting for? It’s time to begin.

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #612 on: March 29, 2011, 06:44:09 pm »
Quote from: Stanley Kubrick
I will say that the God concept is at the heart of 2001 but not any traditional, anthropomorphic image of God. I don't believe in any of Earth's monotheistic religions, but I do believe that one can construct an intriguing scientific definition of God, once you accept the fact that there are approximately 100 billion stars in our galaxy alone, that each star is a life-giving sun and that there are approximately 100 billion galaxies in just the visible universe. Given a planet in a stable orbit, not too hot and not too cold, and given a few billion years of chance chemical reactions created by the interaction of a sun's energy on the planet's chemicals, it's fairly certain that life in one form or another will eventually emerge. It's reasonable to assume that there must be, in fact, countless billions of such planets where biological life has arisen, and the odds of some proportion of such life developing intelligence are high. Now, the sun is by no means an old star, and its planets are mere children in cosmic age, so it seems likely that there are billions of planets in the universe not only where intelligent life is on a lower scale than man but other billions where it is approximately equal and others still where it is hundreds of thousands of millions of years in advance of us. When you think of the giant technological strides that man has made in a few millennia—less than a microsecond in the chronology of the universe—can you imagine the evolutionary development that much older life forms have taken? They may have progressed from biological species, which are fragile shells for the mind at best, into immortal machine entities—and then, over innumerable eons, they could emerge from the chrysalis of matter transformed into beings of pure energy and spirit. Their potentialities would be limitless and their intelligence ungraspable by humans.
Amazing! This guy... this guy thinks the same way I do... or is it that I think the same as him? :shock:  The odds of me having similar, unique ideas like a dead director I've never heard about in my life before, especially considering the ongoing war between Atheists and Religious folks, it's... frightening...

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: April 02, 2011, 03:16:36 pm »
I believe all science will hopefully (eventually) point to the existence of God.

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: April 02, 2011, 10:45:44 pm »
You guys should look into Deism.