Author Topic: Quote Digest  (Read 151365 times)

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
Re: Quote Digest
« Reply #255 on: December 04, 2007, 12:57:32 am »
Quote from: Richard Dawkins
My last vestige of 'hands off religion' respect disappeared in the smoke and choking dust of September 11th 2001, followed by the 'National Day of Prayer,' when prelates and pastors did their tremulous Martin Luther King impersonations and urged people of mutually incompatible faiths to hold hands, united in homage to the very force that caused the problem in the first place.

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: December 04, 2007, 11:31:46 am »
One of the great tragedies of our time is this impression that has been created that science and religion have to be at war. - Francis Collins, head of the National Human Genome Research Institute and leader of the Human Genome Project

The bigotry of the nonbeliever is for me nearly as funny as the bigotry of the believer. - Albert Einstein

Silver

• Porrean (+50)
  • Resident Code Lyoko Nut
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt gallery
« Reply #257 on: December 04, 2007, 02:10:14 pm »
'Better to reign in hell, than serve in heaven.'
-John Milton, Paradise Lost

'Yesterday, we obeyed kings and bent our necks to emperors.  Today we obey only the truth.'
-Kahlil Gibran

'If there were no god, it would be nessecary to invent him.'
-Voltaire

Daniel Krispin

« Reply #258 on: December 04, 2007, 03:00:06 pm »
Quote from: Aeschylus
"He who in time long ago was great, throbbing with gigantic strength, shall be as if he never were, unspoken. He who followed him has found his master, and is gone. Cry aloud without fear the victory of Zeus, you will not have failed the truth: Zeus, who guided men to think, who has laid it down that wisdom comes alone through suffering. Still there drips in sleep against the heart grief of memory; against our pleasure we are temperate. From the gods who sit in grandeur grace comes somhow violent."
- the Chorus from Aeschylus' Agamemnon, 168-183

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: December 14, 2007, 06:01:06 pm »
Quote from: Robert T. Kiyosaki
Failure defeats losers and inspires winners.

Quote from: Brutus, Julius Caesar
Under your pardon. You must note beside,
That we have tried the utmost of our friends,
Our legions are brim-full, our cause is ripe:
The enemy increaseth every day;
We, at the height, are ready to decline.
There is a tide in the affairs of men,
Which, taken at the flood, leads on to fortune;
Omitted, all the voyage of their life
Is bound in shallows and in miseries.
On such a full sea are we now afloat;
And we must take the current when it serves,
Or lose our ventures.

Quote from: Christopher Hitchens
What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof.

Quote from: Baron D'Holbach
If we go back to the beginning, we shall find that ignorance and fear created the gods; that fancy, enthusiasm, or deceit adorned them; that weakness worships them; that credulity preserves them and that custom, respect and tyranny support them in order to make the blindness of men serve their own interests. If the ignorance of nature gave birth to gods, the knowledge of nature is calculated to destroy them.

Quote from: John Blenn
When I was having dinner with Chuck [Norris] I did ask him: "If you and Bruce would be in a real fight to death, who would win?", and he said without thinking: "Bruce of course. Nobody can beat him".

Quote from: Clint Eastwood
God this stuff isn't getting to me - the shootings, the knifings, the beatings. Old ladies being bashed in the head for their social security checks. Nah that doesn't bother me. But you know what does bother me? You know what makes me really sick to my stomach? It's watching you stuff your face with those hotdogs! Nobody - I mean nobody puts ketchup on a hot dog!

Not the exact quote: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5JIpT4GkyM

« Last Edit: December 14, 2007, 06:06:12 pm by ZeaLitY »

Kebrel

• Springtime of Youth
  • Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • नार्य काम संस्कृत
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: December 21, 2007, 03:26:22 am »
Quote from: Anon from the BBS
Ten Reasons Gay Marriage is Un-American

1. Being gay is not natural. Real Americans always reject unnatural things like eyeglasses, polyester, and air     conditioning.

2. Gay marriage will encourage people to be gay, in the same way that hanging around tall people will make you tall.

3. Legalizing gay marriage will open the door to all kinds of crazy behavior. People may even wish to marry their pets because a dog has legal standing and can sign a marriage contract.

4. Straight marriage has been around a long time and hasn't changed at all; women are still property, blacks still can't marry whites, and divorce is still illegal.

5. Straight marriage will be less meaningful if gay marriage were allowed; the sanctity of Britany Spears' 55-hour just-for-fun marriage would be destroyed.

6. Straight marriages are valid because they produce children. Gay couples, infertile couples, and old people shouldn't be allowed to marry because our orphanages aren't full yet, and the world needs more children.

7. Obviously gay parents will raise gay children, since straight parents only raise straight children.

8. Gay marriage is not supported by religion. In a theocracy like ours, the values of one religion are imposed on the entire country. That's why we have only one religion in America.

9. Children can never succeed without a male and a female role model at home. That's why we as a society expressly forbid single parents to raise children.

10. Gay marriage will change the foundation of society; we could never adapt to new social norms. Just like we haven't adapted to cars, the service-sector economy, or longer life spans.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: December 22, 2007, 10:06:56 pm »
Quote from: Bill Maher
A phenomenon I still don't understand. Rudy says if a Democrat is elected in 2008, we'll be at risk of another 9/11, because . . . he was mayor of New York when they attacked the World Trade Center the first time? His slogan should be "Not on my watch . . . again."

From his Dickheads of the Year article at Rolling Stone. I think he's 13 for 13.

MsBlack

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: December 23, 2007, 08:49:37 pm »
Once upon a midnight dreary, while I websurfed, weak and weary,
Over many a strange and spurious website of 'hot chicks galore',
While I clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning,
And my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour.
"'Tis not possible," I muttered, "give me back my cheap hardcore!"
Quoth the server, "404".

-- found it in Urban Dictionary's definitions for "404".

justin3009

• Fan Project Leader
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: December 23, 2007, 09:23:08 pm »
Ahaha...I remember hearing that somewhere.  I just find that to be pure genius xd

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: December 24, 2007, 11:08:14 pm »
Abandon your fear. Face forward. Advance. Don't give an inch. Retreat and you will age. Be afraid and you will die.

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: January 04, 2008, 03:41:16 pm »
Quote from: Socrates, via Plato's Apology
When I left him, I reasoned thus with myself: I am wiser than this man, for neither of us appears to know anything great and good; but he fancies he knows something, although he knows nothing; whereas I, as I do not know anything, so I do not fancy I do. In this trifling particular, then, I appear to be wiser than he, because I do not fancy I know what I do not know.

Quote from: Stephen Hawking, A Brief History of Time
Any physical theory is always provisional, in the sense that it is only a hypothesis: you can never prove it. No matter how many times the results of experiments agree with some theory, you can never be sure that the next time the result will not contradict the theory.

Quote from: Robert Heinlein, Glory Road
Logic is a feeble reed, friend. "Logic" proved that airplanes can't fly and that H-bombs won't work and that stones don't fall out of the sky. Logic is a way of saying that anything which didn't happen yesterday won't happen tomorrow.

Chrono'99

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: January 04, 2008, 07:55:46 pm »
Quote from: Henri de la Rochejaquelein
If I move forward, follow me. If I die, avenge me. If I move back, kill me.

Kebrel

• Springtime of Youth
  • नार्य काम संस्कृत
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: January 05, 2008, 05:08:52 am »
Quote from: Stephen Hawking, A Brief History of Time
Any physical theory is always provisional, in the sense that it is only a hypothesis: you can never prove it. No matter how many times the results of experiments agree with some theory, you can never be sure that the next time the result will not contradict the theory.
I never liked this Idea. I personally believe that it that thinking that flaws modern Physics. Look at the overarching trait Of quantum mechanics, Sub-atomic particles can go/do anything, look at the double slit test or electron placement. All of these "prove" that there is only a probability its true. Every out come is existent until observe. Yes, this method does work and no contradiction present there self, but all it states is that: event A most likely Will happen, but it is possible that event B will happen in stead.
I think that humanity just screwed up and went with the wrong theory to prove because we used that same mentality that Hawking's has. That thought processes has after a long while brought us to dead end in advancement, best summarized by xkcd.

*This works on pretty much every level.*

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: January 07, 2008, 11:11:07 am »
Sorry, Kebrel, I didn't quite follow all that. You don't like the idea (which isn't Hawking's alone, mind you) that one cannot definitively prove a theory. That is, a scientific theory must always remain a theory and never cross over that great divide into absolute Truth. This is a key foundation of the scientific method; any theory must be discarded the moment that verifiable evidence suggests that it isn't accurate. If this were not the case, then we could well happen upon situations like Galileo was part of; astronomers attempted to preserve the old (Greek) theory in the face of contradictory observations. In that instance, the theory was given a higher standing than the evidence. Mind it, it isn't that the theory never correctly predicted the physical reality, but with more sensitive measurements its flaws became apparent.

As for String Theory, since you bring it up, it was always a dead theory for scientists because at no point did it meet basic scientific requirements (that is, at no point could the theory be tested). If physicists had been more concerned with what Hawking stressed in that passage (essentially, rigorous adherence to the scientific method), String Theory would have been discarded quite some time ago (only now is it leaving fashionable circles).

Advancement stops as soon as one believes one has reached a destination; if that destination can never be reached, logically advancement would never stop. Of course, that paradigm might shift someday as well.

But perhaps I misunderstood you somewhere?

Kebrel

• Springtime of Youth
  • नार्य काम संस्कृत
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: January 08, 2008, 09:33:38 pm »
Its okay I was half asleep when I wrote that.

In short, quantum mechanics has no room for failure. I know understand what you say and every thing is technically a theory, not law. The problem with QM though is it states EVERYTHING can happen how ever minute the chance is. There is no exception can disprove it because it encompasses all outcomes. Hey I don't thinks is completely trash or any thing it heck'a accurate, just need a quick re-haul.

I understand the topic pretty well but not perfectlyin my mind(vary modest of me :D), and once again I am typing this late so did that make sense?