Author Topic: Nega-ette  (Read 5734 times)

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
Nega-ette
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2005, 07:37:50 am »
1) general curiosity: how would a naga-ette have underwear???

2) it's really just Japanese culture that shows old men as being pervs so much, not just anything to do w/Toriyama...plus, it's not like he scripted it or anything...

3) my dictionary says that a bromide is either a sedative or a trite saying...so I'm guessing it was a sedative meant to put naga-ettes to sleep and thus the old man remains perverted even in the NA version, only it's a little less obvious...?

Chrono'99

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
Nega-ette
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2005, 08:33:09 am »
Quote from: Mystik3eb
Another "Woolseyism". It was translated to be a 'bromide' from some kind of womens underwear, I don't remember exactly what. Yes, the old man is supposed to be a pervert. What's a Toriyama product without a perverted old man? ;)

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think I read somewhere that 'bromide' in the Japanese version was a photograph of a Naga-Ette in underwear, not the actual underwear. It's strange because there obviously shouldn't be photos in 600 AD, but I'm pretty sure that's what I read.

nightmare975

• Architect of Kajar
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
Nega-ette
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2005, 03:47:56 pm »
Quote from: Chrono'99
It's strange because there obviously shouldn't be photos in 600 AD, but I'm pretty sure that's what I read.

Maybe its a painting :wink:

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
Nega-ette
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2005, 08:13:07 pm »
Quote from: Chrono'99
Another "Woolseyism". It was translated to be a 'bromide' from some kind of womens underwear, I don't remember exactly what. Yes, the old man is supposed to be a pervert. What's a Toriyama product without a perverted old man? ;)

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think I read somewhere that 'bromide' in the Japanese version was a photograph of a Naga-Ette in underwear, not the actual underwear. It's strange because there obviously shouldn't be photos in 600 AD, but I'm pretty sure that's what I read.

There shouldn't be refrigerators or gas stoves, either, but that's life in a video game world for you.

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
Nega-ette
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2005, 02:18:57 am »
Uh, yeah...there's also the photo of Crono & Co in a frame in the Chronicles' CT opening anime sequence...>_> Seems like we can tack on photography to Chronoworld technology...Not like it was the hardest invention to make in our world or anything...

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
Nega-ette
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2005, 02:58:52 am »
Quote from: V_Translanka
Uh, yeah...there's also the photo of Crono & Co in a frame in the Chronicles' CT opening anime sequence...>_> Seems like we can tack on photography to Chronoworld technology...Not like it was the hardest invention to make in our world or anything...

We had it at around the time of the Civil War, but we only had black and white at that point. The thing about that picture is that since it is of the full team, it was obvious that they had access to 2300A.D. technology, which we know to contain cameras.

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
Nega-ette
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2005, 04:04:36 am »
Oh, c'mon, Lucca & Taban invented a teleporter, various guns and a giant robot cat...I don't think that a camera would be hard w/o the aid of future technology...8)

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
Nega-ette
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2005, 06:29:21 pm »
This is true. Technology developed a lot earlier in the Chrono series than here on Earth.

kennyj2003

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
Nega-ette
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2005, 02:55:56 am »
yeah even someone like the chancelor designed the dragon tank and made it resistant to magic(seeing as noone in that era could use magic cept for Magus but woudnt that make Yakra aware of Lucca and Crono's power before they even had it?) :shock:

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
Nega-ette
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2005, 03:02:34 am »
There are things that can naturally resist Lightning and Fire though...or...man made things at least? *shrugs* But, yes, you'd think that things like that would be helpful against Magus...oh wait! The Dragon Tank was a 1000AD invention...Magus wasn't around then either other than historic legend.

kennyj2003

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
Nega-ette
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2005, 03:10:09 am »
Doh stupid me I was thinking for some reason the dragon tank was in 600 A.D. and I can understand metal naturally resisting fire but Lightning? One Lightning spell coudve made it malfunction.Kinda makes you wonder if the green Ambler really was a reptite giving yakra details on prehistoric creatures to design a tank after lol. Hmm kindy screwy though seeing as Metal conducts Lightning and dino's are weak against it.(Oh andf about the ambler thing merely a joke not implying he is a reptite)

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
Nega-ette
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2005, 03:22:48 am »
Uh, all it would need was some kind of insulation for any electric attack...although most things that do that aren't resistant to fire...>_> It'd be tricky to find something that resisted both at the same time...Something like asbestos maybe?

kennyj2003

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
Nega-ette
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2005, 03:26:18 am »
Hehe*Imagining asbestos sticking out of Dragon Tanks Eye sockets* yeah maybe yakra found a white vest hanging around the castle melted it down and used it as an alloy to protect it against Light. lol

Kerta_Losataure

• Iokan (+1)
  • Paradoxes R Us
    • View Profile
Re: Nega-ette
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2006, 12:18:43 pm »

For those of you who think there shouldn't be photos in 600AD I refer you to the Frog/Leene marriage ending. It used an old film reel style of video.

uzerzero

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
Re: Nega-ette
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2006, 02:35:58 pm »
Chronoverse simply adopted our English method of AD and BC to make things seem more relative and "real world" like. If somebody mentions that an event took place in 12,000 BC, you know it's prehistoric. But if they mention that it happened in 1 AFZ (After the Fall of Zeal), people would get confused. Sort of like how in LotR, they have all the different ages, and the same with the Islamic and Jewish calendars. It can get quite confusing. Besides, how hard would it be to bring a camera back in time on board the Epoch and then film the wedding? And film gets scratchy because the quality of the tape degrades, not because of the camera. Digital is the way to go.

As for the meaning behind bromide.. it's most common use is as the anion of bromine. Which I doubt has anything to do with Chrono Trigger. It can also mean a cliche that's been killed, or a boring person. None of these seem to relate to the game at all. I like the theory of the XXX content and the perverted old man.