Through males, Marle's mother married back into the family
3 (15.8%)
Intra-marriage (daughter marries son)
3 (15.8%)
Other (please explain)
1 (5.3%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Voting closed: January 03, 2004, 03:10:41 pm

Author Topic: Guardia's Odd Inheritance  (Read 29036 times)

chronotriggerfreak

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
    • http://ctf.sytes.net/
Guardia's Odd Inheritance
« on: January 03, 2004, 03:10:41 pm »
I've recently been playing through the game again to remember some of its finer details for my fictional rendition of it, Into the Dream. As I played through the section of the game where Marle/Nadia vanishes in 600 A.D., I noticed something odd.

In most families, and in most cultures, male children carry the good name and heritage of the family through generations. Such is the case often with royalty as well, evident in the history of European monarchies such as England, France, and Spain. When no male child is born, the Queen is often throned, which may cause some sort of an uproar, or at least a general upsetting. And not to mention when no child or descendant exists, what havoc may occur! Such is not always the case, such as with Elizabeth I and other Tudor women, but if possible, a male is always crowned first.

To the point. Marle is a direct descendant of Queen Leene after 400 years, no? In 400 years, there were, what, 12 generations of the royal family? Now consider this: if Marle, or Marle's mother, is still on the throne, does the Guardian crown pass through the female child?

Not necessarily, but that is one of few possibilities. As near as I can tell, Guardia's inheritance is odd no matter what choice you pick:

1. The crown is given to the female descendant, and the kings marry into the family.

2. For 400 years, the crown has passed on to the male child, and after 400 years of breeding outside the royal family and royal genes, the Queen's heir has just now married back into the family. Although, this still allows for Marle to be genetically disturbed instead of it all just being teenage hormones.

3. The Queen marries her brother?! Ugh...

So, which possibility, or if you can support another, do you think is correct?

Personally, I choose number 1. It seems to me that Crono was marrying into the royal family, rather than Marle marrying into Crono's family. And if I'm not mistaken, weren't Crono and Marle mentioned as the last King and Queen at some point in Chrono Cross? I can't be sure, but even so, the former opinion still remains mine. This would present an interesting tidbit about Guardian culture, no?

Chrono'99

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2004, 04:04:41 pm »
Also, in the kingdom of Zeal, it appears Queen Zeal reign normally, I mean, when the King died, she keeps on being the Queen. Janus is not made king and Queen Zeal 'regentess' during his childhood.

In fact, I think this system has apparently always been in place: Ayla in Ioka, Azala with the Reptites, Mother Brain with the Robots, ...
...even FATE and the Dragon God in CC are female...
...and even the Time Devourer (although it might be cuz of Schala).

YbrikMetaknight

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
  • I strike fast and disappear for years at a time.
    • View Profile
    • Chrono Compendium
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2004, 05:36:48 pm »
I know I've discussed this with some other Compendium members (at least ZeaLitY, certainly), and we've come to the conclusion that choice number 1 is most likely.  I think you can find our discussion on the old site, or possibly somewhere on the OCR Master Thread.

chronotriggerfreak

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2004, 06:00:41 pm »
Good point, Chrono'99, and I'll have to look for that thread. I remember this always used to bug me when I was younger, and it does provide some insight as to some lesser themes implemented into the Chrono series.

Azala was female?

Chrono'99

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2004, 10:23:54 am »
Azala was female?

arh.
Now that you mention it, I'm not really sure.
I checked both CT and CC scripts, and there's not even a clue...
(but these where incomplete scripts...)

chronotriggerfreak

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2004, 11:23:33 am »
It always seemed to me that Azala was male. He didn't really seem feminine.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2004, 07:16:32 pm »
There is some binding fact that dictates Azala is female, but I've forgotten it as well. I think it may be an official statement from Square, but I'm a bit wary of 'official statements' considering their rumor-like nature and since Nintendo states outright that the 'One of you is close to someone that needs help...Find this persona, fast!' quote refers to Lucca's mother, which is...kinda dumb.

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2004, 01:59:25 pm »
Regarding the Guardia Royal family, I think it's stated that Nadia married in to the royal family 10 years ago. So Queens can marry in.

Chrono'99

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2004, 02:08:15 pm »
Regarding the Guardia Royal family, I think it's stated that Nadia married in to the royal family 10 years ago. So Queens can marry in.

Nadia? I think you're talking about Aliza?

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2004, 02:42:42 pm »
Ah, thanks for catching that. I'm a bit sleep deprived at the moment, I'll try to check up on whether it was Aliza or Leene.

chronotriggerfreak

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2004, 04:02:21 pm »
That may be quite possible with Leene, but despite whether Aliza married into the family, she would still have been part of the family in the first place, since we know Marle is a descendant of Leene. Therefore, if the bit about Aliza marrying back into the family is true, then option number two would be correct. We know, though, that Marle and therefore Aliza is a descendant of Leene.

Unless the game was using a connotation the word "descendant" in this context to mean that she isn't of Leene's direct lineage, but rather being the child of Aliza and King XXXIII, she has the genes of the royal family in general, which is another possibility and would fall under #4.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2004, 05:22:48 pm »
It is indeed Leene, who married into the family around 590 A.D. I believe that perhaps the system may have worked on males until that point, and then have operated on females. King Guardia XXI's name when speaking in the script is usually GUARDIA:, as if it were his name. This is only a small point of interest though and may not hold much weight in discussion.

chronotriggerfreak

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2004, 05:37:20 pm »
It would hold more interest if we knew King Guardia XXXIII's name in the script, which, by your discussions about ripping the entire thing, either you or GrayLensman must certainly know, Zeality. If he is indeed given another name far different, this may be interpreted as further proof that XXXIII is indeed not of royal descent, although it is a far stretch.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2004, 05:41:44 pm »
...Bah, this is indeed the only instance:

Quote from: Frog's Flashback

CYRUS: Yes, it's time we took back the
   Medal from the Frog King.
   And I'd like to see that mythical
   sword for myself.
GUARDIA: But Cyrus, the kingdom needs
   you!
   And Leene and I need you.
   You must return to us!

chronotriggerfreak

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2004, 05:50:55 pm »
Is that the only instance of Guardia XXI being called that, or just the only instance in your half of the script?

I guess what I mean to say is, does the script ever refer to him as something else?