Author Topic: This has Daniel Krispin written all over it  (Read 1311 times)

Agent 12

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
This has Daniel Krispin written all over it
« on: November 19, 2005, 05:44:58 am »
haha, armor/weapon thread is really long, if you can make a final list I'll sticky the thread.  Since right now I'm only doing magus he's most important...I'm guessing he'll just have two maybe three weapons (if he gets one at the end).  

--jp

Daniel Krispin

« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2005, 07:14:47 pm »
I thought I quit the Compendium in deference to Lord J - I've got no desire to argue with him anymore, so I'll just stay here and out of his way. Oh, well, I'll see what I can do. The lists were almost complete before, anyway.

By the way, only three weapons for Janus? Ai. I thought we'd given each person seven. Janus is one of those for whom most everything is complete, including the drawings.

Agent 12

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2005, 08:11:10 pm »
oh he'll have more than three haha, just three for the chapter that I'm currently working on.  

--jp

Daniel Krispin

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2005, 10:45:31 pm »
Okay, here we go. Almost everything was already done on page 5 of the thread. I just added in names where they were lacking - especially for Schala's. Oh, and feel free to dispute these, if you want. As before, the * means drawn and coloured, and the ^ drawn.

Crono
1 - Lead Sword*
2 - Jade Hilt*
3 - Kopis
4 - Shamshir*
5 - Trusilver*
6 - Ryuraizan*
7 - Geistrand*
8 - Arco Iris*
9 - Ara Dei*

Marle
1 - Yew Bow*
2 - Ivory Bow*
3 - Fail-Not*
4 - HarpString
5 - Alkanost
6 - Kerubim*
7 - Fairy-Queen*
8 - Apollon
9 - Naveed

Lucca
1 - Flintlock*
2 - Mark II
3 - SnipeShot*
4 - QuantaShot*
5 - GreaseGun^
6 - Zonker8000^
7 - Schrodingr
8 - VerneShot
9 - FreeRadicl*

Glenn
1 - ArmingSword*
2 - Quixote*
3 - Nauthiz*
4 - Skiphos*
5 - Caliburn*
6 - PaxGuardia*
7 - Galatine^
8 - Cyrus*
9 - Clarent*

Robo
1 - Clasp
2 - PryingHand
3 - SteamPunch
4 - Strainer*
5 - DeathGrip
6 - Impax
7 - Imperator
8 - Hephaistan
9 - Atlas

Janus
1 - Grigori*
2 - Totentanz*
3 - Erebos*
4 - Iscariot*
5 - Legion*
6 - Vanitas*
7 - EbonyMoon
8 - Khadhulu
9 - Kronian*

Schala
1 - DreamStone
2 - Sun Charm
3 - SilverStar
4 - DiamondPin
5 - Hope Jewel^
6 - Lazuli Eye
7 - Pandemos
8 - Ourania
9 - StarOfZeal

Just a heads up on the new ones...
SilverStar is self-explanitory. Lazuli Eye: Lapis Lazuli was semi-precious gem, particularly in ancient days. Pandemos means 'all people' and is the surname of the 'baser' version of Aphrodite; Ourania means 'heavenly' and is the noble aspect of Aphrodite. Hephaistian is after the Greek smith-god. Skiphos is simply Greek for sword (particularly that type that I drew for it.) Kopis is also Greek for sword, though a one-bladed machete-type thing. Mark II is easily explainable. GreaseGun is reference to a WWII sub-machine gun, which the drawing looks like. And Schrodingr after Schrodinger and his cat, the whole probability and quantum-states thing.

Agent 12

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2005, 03:28:48 pm »
Big thanks buddy.

If you would like to take it one step further if any of these have obvious innuendos to status effects (i.e. the siren cast silence) or strong against certain enemies (robots/dinosaurs/magic) you can edit the post to mark that.  I was hoping we could give the sniper shot instant death but it doesn't look like that's an optino.

Other than have we started with new armor yet?

--jp

Hadriel

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2005, 04:40:55 pm »
Quote from: Daniel Krispin
Okay, here we go. Almost everything was already done on page 5 of the thread. I just added in names where they were lacking - especially for Schala's. Oh, and feel free to dispute these, if you want. As before, the * means drawn and coloured, and the ^ drawn.

Crono
1 - Lead Sword*
2 - Jade Hilt*
3 - Kopis
4 - Shamshir*
5 - Trusilver*
6 - Ryuraizan*
7 - Geistrand*
8 - Arco Iris*
9 - Ara Dei*

Marle
1 - Yew Bow*
2 - Ivory Bow*
3 - Fail-Not*
4 - HarpString
5 - Alkanost
6 - Kerubim*
7 - Fairy-Queen*
8 - Apollon
9 - Naveed

Lucca
1 - Flintlock*
2 - Mark II
3 - SnipeShot*
4 - QuantaShot*
5 - GreaseGun^
6 - Zonker8000^
7 - Schrodingr
8 - VerneShot
9 - FreeRadicl*

Glenn
1 - ArmingSword*
2 - Quixote*
3 - Nauthiz*
4 - Skiphos*
5 - Caliburn*
6 - PaxGuardia*
7 - Galatine^
8 - Cyrus*
9 - Clarent*

Robo
1 - Clasp
2 - PryingHand
3 - SteamPunch
4 - Strainer*
5 - DeathGrip
6 - Impax
7 - Imperator
8 - Hephaistan
9 - Atlas

Janus
1 - Grigori*
2 - Totentanz*
3 - Erebos*
4 - Iscariot*
5 - Legion*
6 - Vanitas*
7 - EbonyMoon
8 - Khadhulu
9 - Kronian*

Schala
1 - DreamStone
2 - Sun Charm
3 - SilverStar
4 - DiamondPin
5 - Hope Jewel^
6 - Lazuli Eye
7 - Pandemos
8 - Ourania
9 - StarOfZeal

Just a heads up on the new ones...
SilverStar is self-explanitory. Lazuli Eye: Lapis Lazuli was semi-precious gem, particularly in ancient days. Pandemos means 'all people' and is the surname of the 'baser' version of Aphrodite; Ourania means 'heavenly' and is the noble aspect of Aphrodite. Hephaistian is after the Greek smith-god. Skiphos is simply Greek for sword (particularly that type that I drew for it.) Kopis is also Greek for sword, though a one-bladed machete-type thing. Mark II is easily explainable. GreaseGun is reference to a WWII sub-machine gun, which the drawing looks like. And Schrodingr after Schrodinger and his cat, the whole probability and quantum-states thing.

All Crono's weapons are pretty much perfect.  The Skiphos doesn't have the degree of "l33titude" that I like in weapon names, but I'm just one guy, and if no one else objects to it, it's a go.

I'd dispute the Schrodinger; one wouldn't expect something like that to be a weapon, such as it's named.  If it was the Schrodinger Gun or something, that could work, but there isn't enough room for that.  VerneShot works, though I'd actually kind of like a sort of "lead-in" scheme for naming the penultimate weapons; Arco Iris to Ara Dei, Khadhulu to Kronian, Hephaistan to Atlas, etc.  FreeRadicl is a keeper, so we'd need a name that's somehow related to the Radical Dreamers; perhaps another Chrono Cross reference would be in order.

Clarent would work as Glenn's ultimate weapon, save that he's tied at the hip to the Masamune.

As for Robo, all the weapon names are good, but if it's possible to implement the Servo Module, he'd need more weapons to his name.  Even if it isn't, I had a thought that a Katar would work perfectly for Robo's fighting style.

As for Schala's pendants, if it's possible to implement her at all, I had a thought that perhaps the names of her pendants could be connected to the names of other civilizations engineered by Lavoids, or perhaps the names of stellar bodies, ranging in size from a planet all the way up to the universe itself, with the power of the pendants going up proportionally to the magnitude of the pendants' namesakes.  Diarmuid and Grainne could put in an appearance here.

Janus Zeal

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2005, 04:59:08 pm »
Clarent would work as Glenn's ultimate weapon, save that he's tied at the hip to the Masamune.

I completely agree. Frog is synonomous with the Masamune, and it is a must for his ultimate weapon.

As for Skiphos, I'm neither for nor against it. It's good but not great.

Daniel Krispin

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2005, 05:11:59 pm »
Quote from: Hadriel
All Crono's weapons are pretty much perfect.  The Skiphos doesn't have the degree of "l33titude" that I like in weapon names, but I'm just one guy, and if no one else objects to it, it's a go.

Skiphos is just Greek for 'sword', along with Makhaira. I put it in there because the drawing looks like a Greek skiphos, but that wasn't exactly an inspired naming by me. I'd gladly change that.

I'd dispute the Schrodinger; one wouldn't expect something like that to be a weapon, such as it's named.  If it was the Schrodinger Gun or something, that could work, but there isn't enough room for that.  VerneShot works, though I'd actually kind of like a sort of "lead-in" scheme for naming the penultimate weapons; Arco Iris to Ara Dei, Khadhulu to Kronian, Hephaistan to Atlas, etc.  FreeRadicl is a keeper, so we'd need a name that's somehow related to the Radical Dreamers; perhaps another Chrono Cross reference would be in order.

Well, then, suggest something instead of Schrodingr. I was asked for a list of these and, seeing as it was incomplete, proceeded to quickly add those in. I didn't exactly lose any sleep over that, you know. Lucca's are hard to name, though, so I just went with that, but if someone can give me something as good as VerneShot and FreeRadicl are, you can bet I'll change it in a flash. As far as the lead-in scheme... well, Hephaistan goes to Atlas pretty well, both being from Greek - though there might not be clear connection, I suppose. Khadhulu does not quite relate to Kronian, I guess, but to relate perfectly to Kronian we'd need to backward-step the geneology in Greek mythology, making the penultimate something to do with Zeus. I'm not sure a lead-in is neccessary, but if you want to effect that, and can figure out how, I'm all ears, of course. And remember: I've only got it set to nine weapons. If the eighth does not match, one can always fit one in between, brining the total to ten. That wouldn't be hard, either.

Well, I'd think Clarent is itself the penultimate. The Masamune is super-legendary. It doesn't fit in the normal line of weapon progression as it is.

As for Schala's pendants, if it's possible to implement her at all, I had a thought that perhaps the names of her pendants could be connected to the names of other civilizations engineered by Lavoids, or perhaps the names of stellar bodies, ranging in size from a planet all the way up to the universe itself, with the power of the pendants going up proportionally to the magnitude of the pendants' namesakes.  Diarmuid and Grainne could put in an appearance here.

Well, as I said, I just added these in here or there. No worries if you want them changed. I just did this all for the sake of a complete list.

Now, as far as the armour goes... no, I haven't, for one. I don't even know the scheme that is being implemented. There were a few suggestions, but I don't know if any was ever chosen. The only thing I did in this regard was draw up some concept sketches for helmets (as always, drawing heavily from history: I had just finished looking at a Peter Connolly book, after all.) This is what came out (each one is pretty much wholly historically realistic, though; some of them are rather obscure, I don't expect most anyone to know them, but they're all real.):

DivineDragoonKain

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2005, 06:21:02 pm »
but to relate perfectly to Kronian we'd need to backward-step the geneology in Greek mythology, making the penultimate something to do with Zeus.

Olympian? Nah, that sounds too... plain. Hm... I dunno.

Daniel Krispin

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2005, 07:23:50 pm »
Quote from: DivineDragoonKain
but to relate perfectly to Kronian we'd need to backward-step the geneology in Greek mythology, making the penultimate something to do with Zeus.

Olympian? Nah, that sounds too... plain. Hm... I dunno.

Well, Zeus has other epithets, too. Though wide-browed, of the counsels, and cloud-gatherer don't work. I'm just trying to work with Hadriel's ideas.

Anyway, so what's the armour scheme? I can't well think of any names if I don't know which way it's going to be done. Is it going to be a progression of scale to mail to plate as ZeaLitY suggested? How are the legendary armours going to fit in? You see, some of those I drew would fit in in fashion with the time periods as well. Though, technically, that horned helmet middle-left is Mycenaean, it's in truth made of boar tusk tied around the outside - a certain style of helmet common in that era. However, I'd wager it would not be out of place in the prehistoric setting of Chrono Trigger. Likewise the one with the leather thongs turned outward on the bottom right, the one representative of the Sea Peoples, could be prehistoric in fashion. The Assyrian helm on the right-side, and the Greek-fashioned one on the top could be for Zeal, along with the Carthaginian style top-left. The Norman one on the bottom could be modern Guardia. And the Samnite one with the feathers and crest could be early Guardia, along with the high-crested Greek one. But how would this work with the system?*

Oh, and I was just thinking... hmmm... well, I'm ever-worried about what Square's going to think about this. I mean, you're keeping it quiet and all, but when you do finally release it, won't they be somewhat ... aggrieved? I'm just worried about the legal ramifications of this all. I know I'm just minor help - illustration and weapons names, and a suggestion here or there about the plot - and nothing really that would constitute any breach of copyright against anything that is inherently Square's, yet even so I'm concerned. Maybe it would be best if, when you do release it, my name is left out of it and my contributions are anonymous? I honestly don't care about having my name connected to it. If I've helped even a little, that's all that matters.

*Like so: