Poll

Which of the following enemies did you find to be toughest when you first encountered it?

Lavos (1st form)
1 (1.8%)
Lavos (2nd form)
2 (3.6%)
Lavos (3rd form)
6 (10.7%)
Magus (either encounter)
8 (14.3%)
Spekkio (Nu form)
9 (16.1%)
Mother Brain, Son of Sun, or another "optional" boss
15 (26.8%)
MasaMune
1 (1.8%)
Other
14 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 53

Voting closed: November 19, 2005, 01:22:35 am

Author Topic: Toughest enemy in the game? (1st encounter)  (Read 13255 times)

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
Toughest enemy in the game? (1st encounter)
« Reply #45 on: November 27, 2005, 11:01:00 pm »
Quote from: srs0
Quote from: ArBiTeR_oF_tImE
Eh for me, it would have to be Giga Gaia. omg the first time i fought him i was like...kersplat. hehe ^ ^

Wow, I'm not the only one to make my first post in this thread!  Welcome!

I found that if you could survive the initial damage from Giga Gaia (when he uses the two dual hand attacks before you even get a chance to do anything), then you've survived the hardest part involving him.  That's just my experience though.

That subtle stroke of realism is something I like about Chrono Trigger: There are a number of bosses in the game where, if you make progress against them, the fight actually becomes easier rather than harder. When you defeat either of Giga Gaia's hands, or (two of) the Mother Brain's computers, or the Guardian's Bits, or Lavos' Bits, or Lavos' arms, or Slash and Flea, or the Dragon Tank's wheels, the main boss becomes easier to fight. The Mammon Machine doesn't have "bits," but I think it loses power during the course of the fight. Same idea. Anyhow, this is in contrast to traditional RPG creed, which dictates that defeating part of a boss makes the remaining part even stronger. I like it.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #46 on: November 28, 2005, 02:20:22 am »
Although I agree and it's that part of CT that makes gameplay enjoyable and not an absolute snooze, what RPGs make the main boss stronger by beating the parts of it??? I mean, I know that there are bosses that have stronger parts after you've beaten sections of the boss. I think that at least a few of FFVI's bosses were just like CT...

srs0

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 28, 2005, 02:36:02 am »
Quote from: Lord J esq
The Mammon Machine doesn't have "bits," but I think it loses power during the course of the fight.

If I recall correctly, once you do enough damage to the Mammon Machine it says "the Mammon Machine stands still" or something to that effect, so I believe that's true.  I could be wrong though.

I too love how they get easier.

Quote from: V_Translanka
Although I agree and it's that part of CT that makes gameplay enjoyable and not an absolute snooze, what RPGs make the main boss stronger by beating the parts of it??? I mean, I know that there are bosses that have stronger parts after you've beaten sections of the boss. I think that at least a few of FFVI's bosses were just like CT...

I don't believe that he's saying it never turns out that bosses get easier in other RPGs, simply that it tends to not happen.  There will always be exceptions to every rule, even in Chrono Trigger.  For example, Lavos' first form gets "stronger" every time you beat one of its stages.  However, in general Chrono Trigger bosses get easier as you continue to fight them (or stay the same) as opposed to getting harder, which is the norm in most other RPGs.

fxar99

• Enlightened One (+200)
  • Oh how I wish to dream again...
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 28, 2005, 04:42:07 pm »
Giga Gaia? Hmmm... I was lucky with this battle. You see, I had Ayla in my party when Lavos fell on the Reptites' fortress. Then, I was so amazed with Zeal that I forgot to send her to the End of Time (I never liked her as a PC). But, the good thing about this was that I had Falcon Hit when I fought Giga Gaia.  :lol:

cronocrusader

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
hardest enemy (1st time)
« Reply #49 on: November 28, 2005, 06:47:05 pm »
The hardest boss for me was Son of Sun. I lost to it about 4 times before I figured out that you have to hit a certain flame to injure it badly enough. I just wish I didn't waste all my healing items trying to survive it's fiery onslaught.

srs0

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
Re: hardest enemy (1st time)
« Reply #50 on: November 28, 2005, 09:06:35 pm »
Quote from: cronocrusader
The hardest boss for me was Son of Sun. I lost to it about 4 times before I figured out that you have to hit a certain flame to injure it badly enough. I just wish I didn't waste all my healing items trying to survive it's fiery onslaught.

Welcome!  Wow, another new person in this thread!

I'd suggest (in the future) finding the black chest in 600AD with the red vest and leaving it, then going to 1000AD and taking the newly-upgraded red mail.  It makes whichever character is wearing it invulnerable to all except for one of his attacks.  Or at least I think he has one attack that's not fire, but I believe that it's a weak one, so that one member can easily take on Son of Sun alone.  That's what I found the most efficient method in dealing with him.
Another good way is to max out the magic defence of the three characters you're using before facing him (through items or levelling or whatever), and then he's really easy since his attacks do such a small amount of damage.

Clovis15

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
    • http://clovis15.deviantart.com
« Reply #51 on: November 29, 2005, 04:31:56 pm »
Definitely Mother Brain. The first time you go into the battle you get all cocky and use some massive hit all attack and in the process take out all of the healing monitors... which is the first and last mistake you make as you then getting pounded by Mother Brain's super attack of no hope with no stop. It took me a few times to realize I had to leave the monitor's be and take out Mother Brain while they were steal healing her.

CyberSarkany

• Heir to the Masamune
  • Black Wind Agent (+600)
  • "So zetta slow!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 30, 2005, 12:47:00 pm »
You...have...to...keep...1...alife???
I mean wtf? I never did that, i just pwnd everything i had to finish her of(took me bout 4-5 megaelixiers)...maybe because im to lazy to try a tactic or something...

srs0

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 01, 2005, 03:35:31 am »
Quote from: CyberSarkany
You...have...to...keep...1...alife???
I mean wtf? I never did that, i just pwnd everything i had to finish her of(took me bout 4-5 megaelixiers)...maybe because im to lazy to try a tactic or something...

Same, but I found that it's easier that way than if you leave any of the panels.  If you use a ton of super-powerful attacks, you can take her down before her attack gets powerful.  That's what I did.  Dark matter + shock + luminaire = dead mother brain super fast without the need for any HP or MP replenishing.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #54 on: December 01, 2005, 06:03:41 am »
It depends on if you have characters set up for a good Single target attack or only Multi targets...plus, it also might depend on when you decide to do the quest because if you do it first out of the list you might not have the proper Tech Points for the higher-level Techs...Although you can always do the conveyer belt trick...which I never did...I always wanted to play the game...

nightmare975

• Architect of Kajar
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 02, 2005, 03:58:00 pm »
Quote from: srs0
Quote from: Lord J esq
The Mammon Machine doesn't have "bits," but I think it loses power during the course of the fight.

If I recall correctly, once you do enough damage to the Mammon Machine it says "the Mammon Machine stands still" or something to that effect, so I believe that's true.  I could be wrong though.

I too love how they get easier.

You can also use the Masamune to lower it power. :P

Just like Magus

thoby123

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 03, 2005, 03:41:16 am »
MAGUS!!!!

BlueThunder

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 03, 2005, 11:09:14 pm »
Dude do you go go storyscape?

nightmare975

• Architect of Kajar
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 03, 2005, 11:36:47 pm »
Yes I too noticed the name.

Back on topic: Other is still winning

Kazuki

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 04, 2005, 09:01:14 pm »
*wonders about the "Other" people are picking...*